I'd like to learn first day of my life by bright eyes, but all the tabs on ultimate guitar sound nothing like it to me, and I'm not proficient enough to improvise the tune using just the chords alone. any ideas? I'd like to play it the real way with the finger picking. None of this strumming stuff. Hah, thanks everybody.

sorry if this is a thread repeat but unless just MY internet is messed up, the search button isn't working.
I know this song backwards and forwards. There is no fingerpicking. I've seen Conor play it in concert. It's just strumming. And the tabs on UG are correct. Do you have a capo on the third fret?

Yes, this is a thread repeat, though.
ahhh i see what you're saying about the strumming. Sorry, I've still got a noob ear to music. After hearing the song again I see what you're saying. i thought it was finger picking because he isn't strumming "fast", so to speak.

which tab link do you recommend off ultimate guitar?
ok wait wait wait........so i went back to the first day of my life (ver 4) tab, and it sounds nothing remotely like bright eyes. what am i doing wrong?

i have a friend who plays it in a fingerpicking style (which is why i assumed it wasn't strummed, and it sounds EXACTLY like the song.

playing the tab gives it that first day of my life melody, but it still sounds nothing like the song
Sorry chap, but version 4 is that song---through and through. Personally, I play with a capo on the third fret because that puts the song in my voice range. Honestly, unless you recieve a personal lesson on how to play this song by Mike Mogis, then this is the best you're going to get.
Yeah.. If your not using the capo its gonna sound wrong. But listen to the strumming. he hits the bass note before the whole chord. .... Down...down up down up.... i dunno..
Guitars.

Seagull Entourage Rustic Q1
Washburn D-10 N 93'
Jay turser.. i dunno what model.
he actually sounds like he tries really hard to finger pick it, but it when he does the "so i thought id let you know" just strum each chord once. i covered it at a house show in front of a bunch of dirty crusty folk kids and they loved it. Just hit the bass strings with your thumb and move your index and middle finger around the strings until ya get the hang of it.
I've been checking out the tabs and chord sheets from the ultimate guitar site and they all seem fine, but i CANNOT for the life of me figure out the strumming pattern to this song. I've been dabbling with it for a week and haven't gotten any closer. To my untrained ears, I didn't even know this song was strummed until someone told me it was. I could've sworn it was fingerpicked.

Can someone shed some light on how to strum this beast?
I learned this from UG just fine. The only parts that seem finger picked are the beginning and the part with that strange chord that I don't recall the name of. However, he's just plucking individual strings.

I also believe that the recorded version is capo 4, not 3 - but if 3 suits your vocal range, that's fine.
Its recorded with a capo on 4th

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bright_eyes/first_day_of_my_life_crd.htm

and on the recording it does actually sound like hes overlayed another guitar that is finger picked, or he might be strumming with no pick which would allow him to pick out random notes of a chord and emphasize them this fingers which is easily done and a nice technique too
Last edited by krisjones at Jul 8, 2007,
so i spent a couple hours last night on this song and got a little closer to reproducing his strumming pattern, but i still can't figure it out. going through the chords (c e am f g c, etc.) produces the melody of first day of my life, but i still can't reproduce connor's particular strumming pattern.

more replies please...from what i understand, everyone on UG plays this song =)
I don't know what else you want us to do, here. You'll never have it, exactly. Only extremely close. Hell, even Conor Oberst never has it exactly the same as the album when in concert. If you're that concerned, keep listening to it and keep practicing. I guess in another year you might have it at its pinnacle of perfection.
Quote by Chad48309
I don't know what else you want us to do, here. You'll never have it, exactly. Only extremely close. Hell, even Conor Oberst never has it exactly the same as the album when in concert. If you're that concerned, keep listening to it and keep practicing. I guess in another year you might have it at its pinnacle of perfection.

lol so I guess that's about it then. that's all the advice i'm gonna get.

thread closed.