I have a really miserable ground in my house and ALL of my single coil guitars sound like crap what with the background noise due to the static coming from old wiring.

Does anyone know if this will work for the mean time--until I can afford a real power conditioner?
I thought that would only work to filter out line surges and the like, rather than remove the hum from your guitar? Are you playing in a room with a lot of electrical equipment, CRT monitors, fluorescent lights or anything that draws a lot of current? That could be the cause of your buzzing, rather than your house wiring.
Not so long ago, a few people were killed in Australia because of having faulty ground wiring in their houses. I would definitely get that fixed up before anything else.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
I thought that would only work to filter out line surges and the like, rather than remove the hum from your guitar? Are you playing in a room with a lot of electrical equipment, CRT monitors, fluorescent lights or anything that draws a lot of current? That could be the cause of your buzzing, rather than your house wiring.
Not so long ago, a few people were killed in Australia because of having faulty ground wiring in their houses. I would definitely get that fixed up before anything else.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. But it's not that, since I tried the guitar in MANY different places and have had the same results. Not to mention it completely goes away when I use a humbucking guitar.

Definitely the ground wiring. I live in an apartment building anyways, so it's impossible to get it fixed.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Also, since you use single coils, I'd look into shielding your guitar.
here:
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

stewmac.com sells the copper foil tape with conductive backing.

Shielding helps immensely with hum.

Don't have the skills or money to get the guitars grounded. Not only that, when I play in different locations, the hum goes away COMPLETELY. So I'm fairly positive it's the ground/power situation.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, just saying shielding helps a lot. My Strat is only noisy now when I pump up the gaina bunch. It's something to look into, and isn't expensive at all.

Yeah, but I don't have the skills to do it myself, sadly. Not to mention guitar shops where I am (NYC) would charge an arm and a leg for such a service.
Quote by serizawa
Yeah, but I don't have the skills to do it myself, sadly. Not to mention guitar shops where I am (NYC) would charge an arm and a leg for such a service.

It's really not hard to do at all. Have a read through that page that was posted previously and you'll see it's really, really easy.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
It's really not hard to do at all. Have a read through that page that was posted previously and you'll see it's really, really easy.

Alright, thanks. I'm just worried about buying all the soldering gear and ruining my strat.
Well either way, would some of the products made by Monster Cable be good for making up for a bad ground/dirty power?

They make a bunch of rackmounted things for musicians...