Sorry guys, tried the search bar, but didn't work.

I was just wondering, what guitar+pickups should i get the get close to Slash's tone? The whole thing should be under $700. Max i can stretch to is $800.

And yeah, don't include the amp because i'm already getting one. I'm going to be getting a Randall RG50TC, so i guess the amp part is settled. I know it might not be the best amp to get Slash's tone, but i need it for my band because we play Metallica and all. Thanks in advance guys.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cEpLFl0X4vU

slash with an rg50 tc. I suspect the GE7 used to kill some fizz.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^woah, didn't know the Randall could get that kind of tone. Sounds just like Slash!

btw, which epiphone LP? Heard a lot of different toughts on each Epiphone. Heard their QC sucks also.
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Stay away from anything lower than a standard. The standards and up, with new pickups are great. So just get a heavey mahogany guitar of some sort, get some nice pickups, a good wah, and you'll be set. If anything, just add a GE7, and cut some treble.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Nothing wrong with Epiphone's quality. Get either a Standard or a Custom. Customs are better quality and look prettier but they're pretty much the same sound.
Wow, the Custom seems to have too much of a price difference over the Standard just for aesthetic upgrades. Doesn't seem like a good value.

How about Agile guitars? Heard a lot about them, how good are they actually? Any specific model to recommend?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Agiles are often toted as the better of the LP copies. If anything try to get a tokai, if you want an LP copy.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Well as you're set on an LP and you suggested agile I'd take a look into one, their higher end ones arent exactly too much and you shoul dhave money to spare on pckups.
Tokai's are pretty expensive man, i could get like 2 Agiles with that money. Any specific Agile models i should look into?

And also, if i get an Epi LP Standard, what pickups should i get and what mods should i do to it to make it more Slash-like?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Anyone? Just want to make sure before buying so that i won't waste my money on something that won't do the trick.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Humbuckers with alnico magnets are the prefered pickups for slashes tone, and if you go agile any that are 3000 and above should do they're said to be the best, it doesnt really matter which one you get, it's all about preference (like if it were me i'd get the slim neck model).
Yea, i have my eyes set on the slim neck model too.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000csbslim.html

Just wondering, would this be good enough stock or would i have to mod a few stuff? Thanks man.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Well it should do the job straight off (it has Alnico V humbuckers and the same specs as a regular les paul) but you may find yourself wantin gto upgrade the pickups at some point, but it'll be good straight off still.
i heard somewhere that slash's first Lp was actually a copy, a Tokai and that he altered the headstoock to make it look alike a gobson. he used it on the Appetite album an also the video to Sweet Child.
i've heard one ive to and they really are great for les paul copys.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Strat Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Marshall VS100 Combo
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Podxt Live
Ok, which would be a better deal?

Agile AL-3000

Epi LP Standard + Alnico 2 Pro pickup swap
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPILPSTD
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMAPH1B

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Humbuckers with alnico magnets are the prefered pickups for slashes tone, and if you go agile any that are 3000 and above should do they're said to be the best, it doesnt really matter which one you get, it's all about preference (like if it were me i'd get the slim neck model).

Specifically, Alnico II magnets - alnico V has a different character, brighter and less spongy in the low end.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 2, 2007,
Quote by mlbaxter89
i heard somewhere that slash's first Lp was actually a copy, a Tokai and that he altered the headstoock to make it look alike a gobson. he used it on the Appetite album an also the video to Sweet Child.
i've heard one ive to and they really are great for les paul copys.

Didn't he have that guy at Gibson make his own custom Les Pauls for him? I've heard thats why its so hard to match the one from the Sweet Child O' Mine video to any other one. Yeah, an Agile or an Epi Standard with something with Alnico II magnets, not Alnico V's should do it. I'd say get a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico II's.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
You can sometimes find Gibson Les Paul studios at guitar center for $800 if its last years model or something.
^I'd rather get an Agile or a Tokai or a decent Epi with Alnico's if I was the threadstarter.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I don't live in the US man, no GC over here. So i guess i've made my choice. Epiphone LP Standard with a Alnico 2 Pro pickup swap. Does that seem like a good choice?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Yeah, seems like a pretty decent setup.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Thanks for the input man. Btw, one last question. What wah pedal should i get besides the Slash sig wah? That's a little overpriced. And any other pedal i should get to boost my sound like the Boss GE-7 or something?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Maybe try out a Vox V847 or a Vox V848? They might not be the best for gain, but Slash isn't exactly high gain. Maybe a Morley? I dunno if they'll do Slash.

Oh yeah, and to save hendriko from saying it, have a look at the Ultimate Wah Thread.

I think I've heard of the GE-7 somewhere, what does it do?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Haha, thanks for the early warning man. Cheers.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
No probs mate.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by fatboythin
Ok, which would be a better deal?

Agile AL-3000

Epi LP Standard + Alnico 2 Pro pickup swap
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPILPSTD
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMAPH1B

EPI. Alnico 2's will sound like slash.

Slash really didn't use any pedals other than a
MXR 10-band graphic EQ
Last edited by FRDesign at Jul 2, 2007,
crust_punk, why do you choose the Plain Top over the Standard?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by fatboythin
crust_punk, why do you choose the Plain Top over the Standard?

It's all mahogany. The Standards are mahogany/alder sandwiches, which won't give you the true 'Les Paul' sound.
I've heard a guy play Sweet Child O Mine solo through some 50W practice amp and an EMG 85 pickup and it sounded as good as that. Point of saying that? I'm not sure...
My Stuff:
ESP LTD MH-400 (pic's here)
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Oh, ok. So its better to get a plaintop then? But it looks like it might scratch easily, my only concern.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30