but i love to have a little play on the acoustic at home. i played for a while and my dad bought me a decent epiphone(acoustic) for christmas. i've finally sucked in and started saving for a cheap guitar to muck around on at home... my options are(i like epiphone since i like the guitar i've got + les pauls are cheap) the les paul special II or les paul SG. they're about $10 in difference at $270-$280(aussie bucks)
what do you reckon since i know near to nothing about guitars? any advice? i was told a squire strat was pretty much firewood compared to it so yeah... thats now out of the picture...
The Les Paul SG???? I have no idea what you mean by that (But I'm not a huge Epi/Gibson fan, which may be the problem)

From personal experience, the "Special" series usually let down when it comes to the general build and have a nasty neck on them. But you'd be better off listening to someone else on this matter.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
argh wtf

drummer? get outzorz!

/

haha just kidding man

go for whatever you like best, SG's are lighter and sound different, LPs are heavier, have more sustain and that LP sound

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Hendriko: Your avatar is absolutely amazing.

Sorry to go off topic though.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
right the second one isnt a les paul... you were right... but i still need an honest logical educated opinion
read my post..its like a wonder

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
you have to explain it in drummer terms. sustain? lighter? guitar? tom toms.
Quote by ruditb
you have to explain it in drummer terms. sustain? lighter? guitar? tom toms.

Sustain = the guitar's capability of holding out notes, making them sustain for longer periods of time without fading away.

Lighter = those things from which a flame pops out. Nope, it's just the guitar's weight. The SG is thinner, therefore it weighs less.

It's hard to explain a guitar's sound, especially if you're not used to the terms we use... I can say the SG will be more twangy and the Les Paul will be a bit more meaty, but you'll have to subconsciously figure out what that means, it's what we all did.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
does that help with what i should get? is there much difference between the two? the sg looks cooler.
Quote by ruditb
does that help with what i should get? is there much difference between the two? the sg looks cooler.

Well, they're both pretty equally leveled low end guitars. What are you going to play? This is a case where you could just decide by looks, there isn't that big of a difference really, considering you're just starting out.

Still, tell us what'll you be playing.
Quote by primusfan

umm most likely metal, rock, punk like system/zeppelin/saliva/blink/floyd... that go johnny go-back to the future style... i want a clear sound like megadeth and killswitch tend to have, but a heavy distortion as well... jeff buckley very much... sounds like alot...
Quote by ruditb
umm most likely metal, rock, punk like system/zeppelin/saliva/blink/floyd... that go johnny go-back to the future style... i want a clear sound like megadeth and killswitch tend to have, but a heavy distortion as well... jeff buckley very much... sounds like alot...

You must be aware that you're hardly going to achieve those tones with this rig. Maybe the Les Paul will do better, since because it's thicker, it's sound won't be as thin as it is with the SG.

I vote LP.
Quote by primusfan

id get the sg. The les paul special's neck is thick as a brick (for me that is)
Sigs are too hard to think up
its not supposed to sound amazing... thats just a guideline of what i would like to acheive... and if the necks real thick that can be a pain... but a fairly increased action would be good
i might try them out or something... or even better-take someone who knows how to persuade the salesperson into letting me know specifications on whats better
Quote by roythereaper
The Les Paul SG???? I have no idea what you mean by that (But I'm not a huge Epi/Gibson fan, which may be the problem)

for a short period of time in the early 60s or something the SG was called the les paul mkII or something, but les paul didn't want his name on the SG because he disliked it. Some epi sgs like the custom still say "les paul" on them.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
for a short period of time in the early 60s or something the SG was called the les paul mkII or something, but les paul didn't want his name on the SG because he disliked it. Some epi sgs like the custom still say "les paul" on them.

ignorence is bliss?
how ironic... not taking a shot or anything i just find that educationally amusing
I hated having an Epiphone Les Paul as my first electric - the neck was just far too thick. Though I don't know exactly how different the SG is, I'd want to go for a guitar with a rather thin neck, just because they're so much more comfortable. You might feel different, though.
I'm a communist. Really.
i myself prefer the epiphone SG G-400 but thats just me

dont forget an amp with that order.

and its ok if your a drummer. we love you anywa :-P
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!