Im shopping around for some Bareknuckles cos my mamma and pappa are going to Finland / holland / etc etc for december holiday . So im listening too all the sound clips and reading all the info but cant seem to decide what to get ? im into like Metallica ( 1986 - 1996 ) tone / bullet / truvium . ( something that will give me chunky FAT heavy tone , with smooth mids . Im specificly looking at the Warpig Humbucker , it sounds killer , nice metal tone . Now what pickup should i get for the neck ?? i never use my Neck pickup , well .... almost never , think i acn leave the stock neck pickup intact and just put a Warpig Humbucker in the Bridge ? or what set would be best for me ?

ffs i wish i could test them but no- one stocks them in South Africa .
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
Yeah, Warpig is a good choice for you...if you like the neck pickup enough to keep it, then save yourself a fair deal of cash, but if you are merely content with it...think about the Warpig calibrated set. Hopefully money isn't too big an option for you as my wallet still looks hurt after a set of Bareknuckles. I bought the Nailbomb calibrated set though, you could also take a look at them. Similarly high-output to the Warpig but with a more Metallica-esque sound in my opinion.
I also own a set of Nailbombs but I don't think it sounds like Metallica. Maybe their really early stuff but it's not suitable for typical Metallica MOP tones. Low output compared to Warpigs too. Having said that it's very versatile and I use mine for anything from classic rock to all out metal and it works well. For what you described though, I'd look into ceramic pups like Miracle Man.

Is it for your SG?
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Quote by KazVH100R
I also own a set of Nailbombs but I don't think it sounds like Metallica. Maybe their really early stuff but it's not suitable for typical Metallica MOP tones. Low output compared to Warpigs too. Having said that it's very versatile and I use mine for anything from classic rock to all out metal and it works well. For what you described though, I'd look into ceramic pups like Miracle Man.

Is it for your SG?

Meh, guess it depends mainly on your amp anyway. You're using Laney presumably, I use a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade, both very different amps lol.
Miracle Man is good too though yeah.
Yeah true that. An amp has more of an effect on your sound than a pup. I still think MM is better for Metallica though.

I used to own a Genz Benz ED 100 like the threadstarter and I can say for sure that NB isn't what he'd want for those bands he mentioned. I think NB is very articulate and has plenty of bite but it's far from smooth or fat.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
I know that you're asking about Bareknuckles, but I just want to point out that all three of those bands predominantly use active EMGs.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^i have a magazine that says the warpig sounds like emgs (81/85)
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
thanks for input guys , yeah i know they play with EMG's , and yeah its for the SG i own and yeah , im going to be using it with my El Diablo ( that already has a hell of a low range ) . I just want a pickup that will put these stocks to shame , i only play metal / hard rock . i would like to only get a bridge pickup for now , and yeah im tied between EMG's and the bareknuckles , ive got no idea what pickup would compliment the Genz Benz gain , cos im really after a fat ass chunky metal sound . So would you guys rather recommend the EMG 81 in the Bridge ?

Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Either which is fine...

I prefer BKP's for their clearity.

Just keep in mind that you may not notice a huge difference at first while playing your guitar with BKP's. Takes a while to grow into it and once you start getting an ear for tone and you hear other guitar's with their stock pups, you'll notice a HUGE difference.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
if its for your sg the regular warpig works best. anything else use MM.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
The Warpig is apprently REALLY bassy though, so Warpig + Mahogany SG + El Diablo could be too bassy.

But I still say get a Warpig for the bridge just so you get bragging rights to owning one!
2nd thing I'm buying in England after an amp.. BKPs! Oh yeah baby.
Have a look into Nailbombs? High gain pup's that aren't as bassy as the Warpigs
by the looks of it all the NailBombs sounds very versitile and thats always a good thing , im just scared its gonna sounds to Trebblish and gonna have Harsh mids . i E-mailed the BKP peeps in the hopes that they will know whats best for the type of tones i need. So , who thinks BKP's are better than EMG's ?
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

I prefer them over EMG's...

But that's because I don't play metal in the first place...lol.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I just got a guitar with EMGs (the epi in my sig) and I'm not liking it too much. Sounds muddy compared to my BKP equipped Gibbo. Might just be the guitar though. I adjusted it for about 2 hours with no luck. I wil try the 18V mod and see how that sounds.

I wouldn't worry about warpig in an SG being too bassy though. It's a popular combination and people seem to like it. I normally think SG=bright anyway. I heard it cleans up better than MM (thanks to the alnico V magnet) so that's also a good thing. I just thought for those you mentioned, a MM would be better. Anyways if you emailed Tim I'd just wait for what he thinks. He obviously knows a lot more about them than all of us combined!
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
lol , what is this Tim persons email addy ? will he be ok that some random is emailing him for pickup advise ?
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Tim Mills is the company founder and still winds a lot of the pickups himself. If you just email the company's tech support, Tim will answer your emails himself, that's dedication!
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Quote by KazVH100R
Tim Mills is the company founder and still winds a lot of the pickups himself. If you just email the company's tech support, Tim will answer your emails himself, that's dedication!

I love it when support is THAT good , its like the Owner builds up a personnal relationship with his Clients .

I emailed Genz Benz the other day , 2 hours later i had a reply from Jeff Genzler the Man himself ! that is service !
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Yeah I sent an email to them as well and got a reply from Mr Genzler himself too. Unfortunately, his reply wasn't very helpful. But still, it's great when companies are like that, makes them seem more human and real. I hate Line 6 they are the total opposite. You email them and they keep sending you these automated letters that link you to their FAQ page grrrrrrr.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
id like to try a super overwound warpig, would be insane.

BK are the way forward, the clarity cannot be matched - emgs are just mud to me now!
Indeed, great customer service!

Fulltone, RMC, BKP, etc.

They all have responded VERY quickly.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I love them, I have a set of mules and crawlers. I think they're worth the money I put down.

Overwinding pickups makes you sacrifice in some headroom and treble, so it may not be what you want, if you want clarity.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
If you want something hotter and tighter than a warpig then there's always the ceramic version...
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C