Page 1 of 2
I mean, I feel kind of stupid spending 800+ on a guitar, when in reality, I'm really not all that good. Do I deserve it? Should I just start small and then work my way up?

I've played w/ a crappy acoustic (Oscar-Schmidt by Washburn). I played the Martin at Guitar Center, and I really, really love it. Inspiring sound.

All I know is, if I have that Martin, I would want to play AND practice a hell of a lot more than I do with that Oscar-Schmidt. It never stays in tune, sounds extremely crappy, hurts my fingers badly, and has crashed into every possible object in my house.

Should I go for it? The Martin seems like it can help me realize my dedication. I fell in love with that thing.

And plus, I worked my a** off at my local Piano store for the money.

Your thoughts, guys...thanks. I appreciate it.
if you have the money, buy it. There is no point in buying twice
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Go for it, if it'll keep your playing inspired and keep you motivated to play, then you have no reason not to ^_^
ohai little sig.
I say go ahead and buy it if you have the money and you want it. Who cares how long you've been playing?

What guitar are you looking at? D-15?
Only buy it if you can also afford a very good case to keep it in. You don't wanna spend that much money if you can't play yet, only to find that when you are good enough to play your guitar is scratched to hell.

Otherwise, yeah, go for it. Just take care of it.
when poeple say u dont deserve thats dumb bcz every guitarist is at the same level in playing just poeple have learnt more to become better. but go for it good luck!!!
My advice would be to try out some similar guitars at a cheaper price tag. I guarantee you, you can find a guitar that will light that spark without spending 800. I'm not saying you should settle for a cheap piece of junk, like Jimtaka said, who cares how long you've been playing. Just, $800's kind of a heavy price.

Besides. If it's electric, you'll want a good amp too.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by C_Turton
Only buy it if you can also afford a very good case to keep it in. You don't wanna spend that much money if you can't play yet, only to find that when you are good enough to play your guitar is scratched to hell.

Otherwise, yeah, go for it. Just take care of it.

Any Martin past the X series (and maybe some guitars in the x series, I'm not certain), comes with a Martin hardshell case.

Quote by Ishiga
My advice would be to try out some similar guitars at a cheaper price tag. I guarantee you, you can find a guitar that will light that spark without spending 800. I'm not saying you should settle for a cheap piece of junk, like Jimtaka said, who cares how long you've been playing. Just, $800's kind of a heavy price.

Besides. If it's electric, you'll want a good amp too.

This is the acoustic forum, and Martin makes acoustic guitars. So I'm pretty sure it isn't an electric. Also, I really think that $800-900 is a benchmark in price level for acoustic guitars. I really don't know that you can get a brand new, A-grade acoustic guitar that is just as good as a Martin D-15 for less than $800.
Quote by jimtaka

This is the acoustic forum, and Martin makes acoustic guitars. So I'm pretty sure it isn't an electric. Also, I really think that $800-900 is a benchmark in price level for acoustic guitars. I really don't know that you can get a brand new, A-grade acoustic guitar that is just as good as a Martin D-15 for less than $800.

I didn't even notice I was in the acoustic.

I saw the thread link from the homepage.

-failstamp-
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Lol. Sorry, I killed it. xD

I don't know diddley squat about acoustics.

-Skitters back on to the electric forum.-
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Yessir, D-15 Mahogany. And I definitely know this will be my main guitar for a loong time. I learned a little on the Oscar-Schmidt, but having this Martin will make me enjoy the music more. Even though I haven't been playing for a while, I can really appreciate the Martin.
martins are overpriced. if you get one make sure it doesnt have the hpl sides or the micarta fingerboard.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
I got an idea !

buy it then give it to me...please
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
Dude, your just gonna waste money "working your way" up there if i were you id just buy it and learn a whole bunch of stoff

keep in mind buying a guitar like a martin should last you a while

pass it from generations to genetarions like some old couch or something
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
Last edited by ElectricMammal at Jul 2, 2007,
Quote by s/ash
I got an idea !

buy it then give it to me...please

Mate, you have rickenbacker 4001! shut the hell up man! i would kill for that bass
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Just Try Not To Bang It Up!
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
No one deserves the grief from owning an X series guitar. Go for it if you want one.
The x series guitars are shoddily made and, correct me if i'm wrong here, the bracing is a horrible design. Its like the marshall MG series. It sounds nothing like a good martin, it just jacks up the price cause of the name. Its a marketing ploy.
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Big Muff USA Reissue

My myspace. Yeah. I know it sucks.
hmm...I'll think about that. If there isn't any other guitar in Guitar Center that can convince me two weeks from now, I'm taking the Martin. You're definitely right though, Martin is a quality name, they can do whatever they want. Like Gibson.
^-- just to clear things up, the D-15 isn't in the Martin x series. the D-15 is an excellent guitar.
Quote by jimtaka
^-- just to clear things up, the D-15 isn't in the Martin x series. the D-15 is an excellent guitar.

+1

Sorry if I confused ya.
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30

I've been playing guitar for only a year... do I deserve a Martin? :P

But seriously, as much as I've heard the D-15 kicks ass, theres also lots of reviews that it is too easily damaged/fragile. Any owners here that could make a comment on that?
well. Its an acoustic. They all get damaged easily.

But I guess it depends on the bracing and woods used in the construction. As I don't know a whole lot about the D-15 I cant act like I do, but if its rosewood then its probably a little more succeptable to dents and indentions then ,say, mahagony.
MY GEAR-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Roland Cube 15
Alverez/Yairi 1995 YM-1
Ovation Celebrity
Peavey Classic 30

i know of no reasons why the D-15 should be any more susceptible to damage than any average guitar. i don't own one, but i've played several... and several that were old. they didn't have any damage that wouldn't be typical of any instrument the same age.
I read that it has no bracing therefore its more susceptible to cracks and dents etc...
Quote by jimtaka

Aye; 'twas just making sure that they knew to steer clear of the X series. All of Martin's solid woods are fantastic.
Quote by jimtaka
^-- literally "no bracing"? that just isn't true.

I think he meant no binding
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
The question of whether you are 'deserving' of a Martin guitar is rather subjective. If you are willing to spend the money and think it will make it more enjoyable as well as motivate you to play more, then by all means do so.

The only case where I would wary about buying a higher end guitar is when you are a complete beginner and unsure if you will be dedicated to learning how to play it.
Quote by ElectricMammal
Dude, your just gonna waste money "working your way" up there if i were you id just buy it and learn a whole bunch of stoff

keep in mind buying a guitar like a martin should last you a while

pass it from generations to genetarions like some old couch or something

Yea right. Who actually keeps the same guitar forever. People always act like you can in these types of threads. If you play for years and years you're going to get another guitar. It isn't wasting your money buying a cheaper guitar as long as it isn't a cheap piece of.. well you get the point. If you buy a Martin, it won't be the only guitar you ever have (unless of course you quit playing, in which case you just wasted a lot of money).

From what I've heard low-end Martin's are basically you paying for the name anyways. I'm sure they're nice, but the same quality can be found in a cheaper guitar. The 'You get what you pay for' idea about guitars need not always apply.

I'm not saying don't buy it, but keep your options open.
Yeah buy it. But know that you are going to stick with guitar first because values decrease after you've bought it. So if a month later you decide to quit guitar then don't expect NOT to lose a few hundred dollars. But yeah, I say go for it, it's worth it. Doesn't matter your playing style, the guitar will last you.

I don't believe that thing about not keeping the same guitar for years is true. I've had my acoustic since I was about 10, and I'm 15 now, and it's the only acoustic I've ever owned. It was only like 500 dollars, but it's stuck with me. Sure I've tried other things, but I've become so used to this thing (And it's not like I play live gigs) that I'm totally fine with this.
Quote by AthenasGhost
Yeah buy it. But know that you are going to stick with guitar first because values decrease after you've bought it. So if a month later you decide to quit guitar then don't expect NOT to lose a few hundred dollars.

But the good thing is that with guitars the value drops about 30% give or take and stays there. Drive a $20,000 car out of the shop and the price drops a few grand and in ten years it's not worth sh*t. Just like computers and whatnot.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
But the good thing is that with guitars the value drops about 30% give or take and stays there. Drive a $20,000 car out of the shop and the price drops a few grand and in ten years it's not worth sh*t. Just like computers and whatnot.

Yeah sucks for things like that. I bought a bike for 1,000$ last summer and now I find out that I might only be able to sell it for 500$.
Page 1 of 2