ive been reading a few lessons on here about pentatonic scales, and Im a tiny bit confused. one, what is the difference between major and minor pentatonic scales and two, what are the different patterns for them?? thanks
aha, thanks, that lesson actually explains it rather than just giving patterns, cheers
Major and minor pentatonic are modes of each other. It helps to understand modes.
Yes, they share the same notes, but they are different scales. A scale means
more than just having notes in common. What the root note is (and therefore
all the other scale degrees) will make them different scales.
Quote by alexa_4912
ive been reading a few lessons on here about pentatonic scales, and Im a tiny bit confused. one, what is the difference between major and minor pentatonic scales and two, what are the different patterns for them?? thanks

They are different in the same way that Major and minor scales are different.
click my sig for a site that shows the patterns of each.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 2, 2007,
I have taken it upon myself to learn music theory, one step at a time, as well as i can, so i can be a better guitarist.

first up, major scale. i opted to learn the scale, firstly in one position, then learn where all the relevant modes would be, using that one pattern in different positions.
(this method gets criticised, cue guitarmunky telling me that its wrong and the modes are all scales in their own rights !!!! I KNOW!)

now, i was next going to tackle the minor scales, but stumbled across this thread and read the link further up.
I now see that both the major and minor pentatonic scales can be found using the exact same major scale pattern, just removing the 4th and 7th!!!! I DID NOT KNOW THIS!!!

Now i know that simply altering the position of my major scale pattern will get me all of these scales, i just need to change the root

This is a very exciting thing to learn.
Thanks
Quote by branny1982
I have taken it upon myself to learn music theory, one step at a time, as well as i can, so i can be a better guitarist.

first up, major scale. i opted to learn the scale, firstly in one position, then learn where all the relevant modes would be, using that one pattern in different positions.
(this method gets criticised, cue guitarmunky telling me that its wrong and the modes are all scales in their own rights !!!! I KNOW!)

now, i was next going to tackle the minor scales, but stumbled across this thread and read the link further up.
I now see that both the major and minor pentatonic scales can be found using the exact same major scale pattern, just removing the 4th and 7th!!!! I DID NOT KNOW THIS!!!

Now i know that simply altering the position of my major scale pattern will get me all of these scales, i just need to change the root

This is a very exciting thing to learn.
Thanks

Dude your WRONG!!!

jk man. Nothing wrong with that approach. Its a good way to get familiar with the patterns, and allows you to see their relationship.
shred is gaudy music
I thought that to get a Pentatonic Scale out of a Major Scale you removed the 2 and the 6?
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I thought that to get a Pentatonic Scale out of a Major Scale you removed the 2 and the 6?

That would be the minor pent. Major is 4 and 7.

Also, the "major" scale is even MORE interesting -- there are 3 minor and 3 major
pentatonic scales within it. Major pents have root at the 1, 4 and 5 scale degrees.
Minor pents have roots at 2, 3 and 6. Those of course correspond to the major
and minor flavors of the modes.
^
Purely by accident my good man!

I've never sat down and looked at the Pentatonic Major and the Natural Major, though, so I was a little bit confused
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Look for the "hopscotch" lesson on pentatonics, it's fascinating and also when you put two of the shapes together it makes a great warmup, and it sounds cool. Ive only done it with the first two, there are so many possibilities.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.