My buddy is a trained pattern maker and about to start his dream making his carbon fibre guitars he has the molds and everything ready its just a case of getting the proto type finished

now we have been discussing different aspects of these guitars for a long time and still disagree in one area the fret board!!!!!

Question on a guitar which is all carbon fibre ( neck and body)

would you want

a) carbon fibre fret board

b) ebony or other wood fret board

let us know
Wouldn't it sound really bad?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
mmm definatly wood! please and thank-you good luck sounds cool
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

Quote by jambi_mantra
Wouldn't it sound really bad?

probably.

if it's a prototype then go with the carbon fibre if it sounds ****e just change it to wood. remember: prototypes are tests and never fail!
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

I would go with wood, because the carbon fretboard would have to be covered in a coating to stop splinters of carbon. this may feel odd. also wood may be better around the frets as carbon wont be as tight fit. dont know what tone it would produce either.
I actually saw one of these in a magazine once. Supposedly, it sounded pretty good.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
we have tested a basic prototype already it sounds really nice kinda jazzy hollow body sound

i understand how some people may be sceptical or a guitar made of carbon fibre but they genuinely do sound lovely and they have the added bonus of being ultra light and hard as nails so you can't really damaged it easily whic his always a bonus
Last edited by onlyuntil at Jul 2, 2007,
Definitely carbon fibre. If you're making the bodies out of carbon fibre, you might as well make the fretboard the same, if only for continuity of your idea. Carbon fibre fretboards are actually very nice, perfect for sliding (fretless is brilliant on them). They also sound very "natural", but still nothing like a maple or ebony board. If you're serious about doing this I'm sure you have a working knowledge of the stuff - don't listen to people who are afraid of change or don't know what they're talking about; there won't be splinters and it won't sound crap (wood is also primarily carbon, y'know).
It has been done before, both necks (Parker, I think) and acoustics (an Irish company, whose name I've forgotten - they made one for Steve Vai). Keep in mind that it's not completely new and amazing. If you want to break out and make a name for yourself, the carbon fibre thing can't be the only innovation. You need to find something else to be your "thing" even if it's just a carbon fibre version of something else. (I don't think I've ever seen a carbon fibre semihollow/jazz guitar!)
(Oh btw, Patent pending, (C) D.Walker 2007 etc.)
GB&C Pedal Builders and Mod Squadron
vBulletin Message

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
Quote by Wyld Stallyn
Definitely carbon fibre. If you're making the bodies out of carbon fibre, you might as well make the fretboard the same, if only for continuity of your idea. Carbon fibre fretboards are actually very nice, perfect for sliding (fretless is brilliant on them). They also sound very "natural", but still nothing like a maple or ebony board. If you're serious about doing this I'm sure you have a working knowledge of the stuff - don't listen to people who are afraid of change or don't know what they're talking about; there won't be splinters and it won't sound crap (wood is also primarily carbon, y'know).
It has been done before, both necks (Parker, I think) and acoustics (an Irish company, whose name I've forgotten - they made one for Steve Vai). Keep in mind that it's not completely new and amazing. If you want to break out and make a name for yourself, the carbon fibre thing can't be the only innovation. You need to find something else to be your "thing" even if it's just a carbon fibre version of something else. (I don't think I've ever seen a carbon fibre semihollow/jazz guitar!)
(Oh btw, Patent pending, (C) D.Walker 2007 etc.)

totally agree with you dude im for the carbon fret board my buddy is in 2 minds the irish comany is called EMERALD guitars there is also another company called STATUS who do some amazing carbon fibre guitars

yeah carbon fibre wont give splinters the guy used to work for MCLAREN F1 team so he is a bit of an expert on the stuff i think he just like the feel of ebony but i said its stupid to have a whole guitar carbon fibre then have some little bit wood it just seems odd
yeah a carbon fiber fretboard is just fine. Iv owned a Parker Fly for 10 years now, and the fretboard is fantastic, it plays and feels amazing, and no there wont be any splintering.. They are very easy to keep clean as well. Plus they just look cool.
i saw them make carbon fiber...i think cellos once on tv. i think they used carbon fiber fret boards too.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
as soon as the chief gets em going ill probably help him setup a myspace page with some sound clips or something
carbon fiber shatters so it will be good untill something sevre happens then its irrepairable
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
wood shatters too.

EDIT: toshay!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
wood shatters too.

it splinters more but yeah
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by t heff
carbon fiber shatters so it will be good untill something sevre happens then its irrepairable

you would have to wack it with a sledgehammer or something alot of times for this to happen

you can drop it on the floor and it wont shatter its pretty hard stuff
i do bike racing, and carbon fiber is big. you literally have to put 1000 pounds of stress on it for it to crack. no wood is gonna beat that. i can do wheelies and stuff on my bike (carbon fiber fork) and it stands up just fine.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by TwoString
Are you making acoustics or electrics. The carbon fibre concept has been touched on before by the likes of Parker. Rainsong makes complete carbon fibre acoustic guitars.

it will be electric / semi acoustic / jazz guitars

it has a nice tone for jazz but he also want to put some higher gain pickups in one and see how it goes may need to work on that one as it may feedback with the hollow body so thinking about chambering the body to stop this
the only carbon fibre guitar i saw was on a uk show, the body was made with a piece of wood in the middle surrounded by carbon fibre and the neck and fretboard were carbon fibre the thing looked so futuristic
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
Wow....Pics? I think one with a carbon fretboard would look wicked. Also, if the guy worked for the McLaren F1 team....When can I meet him?
Quote by godisasniper
Wow....Pics? I think one with a carbon fretboard would look wicked. Also, if the guy worked for the McLaren F1 team....When can I meet him?

pics should be soon few weeks or so

let you know when its get sorted think he will be using bare knuckle pickups for the first ones unless there are special request from other people

i want 2 white p90s in mine
looks nice the status ones look equally as good as that one

there a few people alreayd doing this kinda stuff i think there cool
Quote by tubab0y
wood shatters too.

Nice toshay!!

Quote by onlyuntil
it will be electric / semi acoustic / jazz guitars

it has a nice tone for jazz but he also want to put some higher gain pickups in one and see how it goes may need to work on that one as it may feedback with the hollow body so thinking about chambering the body to stop this

Will they be archtops? No reason not to be. Totally hollow jazz archtops made from carbon fiber...that would be a nice little axe to have.
Quote by TwoString
Nice toshay!!

Will they be archtops? No reason not to be. Totally hollow jazz archtops made from carbon fiber...that would be a nice little axe to have.

i will suggest it to the man
Quote by onlyuntil
i will suggest it to the man

Oh yeah, and I know this guy worked for a race team with a pretty large budget, but one of the cornerstones of new technology is making it affordable. Carbon fiber is not cheap. Is he doing it the proper way and actually curing it in an autoclave, or is he just vacuum-bagging it into a mold? Either way, it should still be strong enough. Suggest to him that he try a dry carbon model as well...that should be pretty strong and resonant and very light weight. But back to what I was saying...he should really try to find a way to make this affordable to the common man. Tell him to set his SRP goal to around $800. Find ways to make it cheap. If it costs $2000+, it's not going to have a market because it just won't be competitive, it'll be just another niche specialty guitar in an already overloaded market.

Here's his marketing strategy...F1 Styling, Jazz Tonality and High Tech Construction at an Affordable Price. If you can do that, you'll be filthy rich.
Quote by TwoString
Oh yeah, and I know this guy worked for a race team with a pretty large budget, but one of the cornerstones of new technology is making it affordable. Carbon fiber is not cheap. Is he doing it the proper way and actually curing it in an autoclave, or is he just vacuum-bagging it into a mold? Either way, it should still be strong enough. Suggest to him that he try a dry carbon model as well...that should be pretty strong and resonant and very light weight. But back to what I was saying...he should really try to find a way to make this affordable to the common man. Tell him to set his SRP goal to around $800. Find ways to make it cheap. If it costs $2000+, it's not going to have a market because it just won't be competitive, it'll be just another niche specialty guitar in an already overloaded market.

Here's his marketing strategy...F1 Styling, Jazz Tonality and High Tech Construction at an Affordable Price. If you can do that, you'll be filthy rich.

hes doing it in the proper way hence it will probably be expensive yes. yeah he is thinking about marketing it with the F1 theme but hes is not sure i think because the material is so expensive it unlikely they could be cheap at the moment but im sure he will work towards that
Quote by onlyuntil
hes doing it in the proper way hence it will probably be expensive yes. yeah he is thinking about marketing it with the F1 theme but hes is not sure i think because the material is so expensive it unlikely they could be cheap at the moment but im sure he will work towards that

I've got a few designs I think would work. I also have a pretty decent background in product research, design and development and I've got over a decade of CAD experience in the engineering field. I'm sure nothing on par with what he's doing, but if you're interested in getting some help with the project or just another techie set of eyes and ears to look it over, PM me.
Quote by TwoString
I've got a few designs I think would work. I also have a pretty decent background in product research, design and development and I've got over a decade of CAD experience in the engineering field. I'm sure nothing on par with what he's doing, but if you're interested in getting some help with the project or just another techie set of eyes and ears to look it over, PM me.

cheers appreciate that im gonna pass on all the information in this thread to him and see what he thinks

hes not very good with promotion and stuff hence im here finding out what the people want :-) on his behalf
Quote by onlyuntil
cheers appreciate that im gonna pass on all the information in this thread to him and see what he thinks

hes not very good with promotion and stuff hence im here finding out what the people want :-) on his behalf

I've done market research for ATT as well. Just another card to toss into the hat
How does one shape carbon fiber? I take it that it's pretty complicated.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
From what I've seen of CF guitars,made completely of CF,Uses a stepped fretboard, instead of traditional metal frets.
Jackson kelly Std
fender strat
Epiphone JR
Crate gx-40
2x10 extension cab

I like all types of music.Put this in your sig if your are not narrow minded..
Quote by Metal0Maniac
How does one shape carbon fiber? I take it that it's pretty complicated.

its all done via a mould its not complicated after you have done the mould and also it allows you to do loads of crazy shapes and things

dont ask me exactly how it works as i cant tell you i should get my buddy on hear to explain
Quote by svengeance
From what I've seen of CF guitars,made completely of CF,Uses a stepped fretboard, instead of traditional metal frets.

some in the past have done this yes but have been very unpopular there was a company a while back that did this they sank without a trace
i bet it will sound greast with all carbon fiber. theres a drum company called Fibes that makes all carbon fiber drums. they sound great, chris layton form double trouble has begin playing them in recent years. i want to see some pics of this sometime man. good luck.