so for about the last 2 years, ive just been learning songs, no music theory. I now know how important it is to know all this ****. Basically all that i know is all the chords (in all the positions) and the penatonic scales, and thats about it. So, what should i learn as far as music theory goes.
Also, i should learn some scales since i have time. I play classic rock, and starting to get into shred, so what scales should i learn?
Quote by kool98769
so for about the last 2 years, ive just been learning songs, no music theory. I now know how important it is to know all this ****. Basically all that i know is all the chords (in all the positions) and the penatonic scales, and thats about it. So, what should i learn as far as music theory goes.
Also, i should learn some scales since i have time. I play classic rock, and starting to get into shred, so what scales should i learn?

Can you read music?
shred is gaudy music
Well, i used to be able to, so it wouldnt take me long to be able to get back to where i was.
Quote by kool98769
Well, i used to be able to, so it wouldnt take me long to be able to get back to where i was.

Cool. If you really want to understand theory, It will really help to having some reading skills. Keep in mind that music thoery is generally taught in the language of music.... so being fluent in the language will allow you to get a better grasp on it.

I would recommond..

- reading skills
- intervals
- scale construction
- chord construction

start there, and build off of that foundation. If you can get a teacher, or take a class, thats really your best bet.
shred is gaudy music
You know all the chords? Hard to believe, there are more than you think.

Learn about intervals first. Master them. Then rhythm. Master it. Then scales and triads with dim7 and V7 chords. Oh, and if you don't know how to, learn to read music before you try any of this.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation