what i'm looking for in this amp:

- solid state
- good clean tone
- good fx (not neccesarily a lot, but at least the standard ones.. ie: reverb, distortion, etc.)
- at least 60 watts
- able to play simple open chords through it and sound good
- under $550 taxes included

help me out here people.
"Music is like religion to me. There'll be music in the hereafter too..." -- Jimi Hendrix

"The sun is gone, but I have light..." -- Kurt Cobain

"It's better to burn out then to fade away..." -- Neil Young
used roland jazz chourus

why not tube? because you can get a good fender blues deluxe used under that...i think
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Roland JC

Then add a top of the lien modeler like the gt-8

your set. however that puts you back -300 soooo, maybe used on both ends to get it.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
how much is the roland JC you guys are talking about? i'm talking canadian dollars, the 550 i have is canadian.
"Music is like religion to me. There'll be music in the hereafter too..." -- Jimi Hendrix

Why are you afraid of tube amps?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yeah i want to buy this amp new guys. also, i can't spend more money then i have.

idk there is a jazz chorus on ebay for $400 usd. idk how that translates.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
i'm not afraid of tubes i just don't want to have to be extremely cautious as to what i do with the amp and what not. plus i live in a small community so replacing tubes and stuff would all have to be ordered and shipped which takes time.

Why can't you buy used? You get much more for your money that way. I never buy amps new. Let someone else pay the showroom premium, I just want a good amp.

Jimi, Kurt, and Neil would prefer it if you bought a tube amp. Something like a Traynor YCV 40 or 50.

edit: yeah, see, you are afraid. You don't have to be "extra cautious" with a tube amp. And ordering tubes on line is no big deal. I live in the suburbs of NYC, with a handful of guitar shops within a few minutes of me, but I always order tubes on line. It's easier. You only have to change tubes every couple years or so. Buy an extra set and keep them around if you're concerned about a couple days without your amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Jul 2, 2007,
You do NOT need tube to sound great. A lot of people bash solid state without actually ever playing the higher end solid states. Yes, the Marshall MG sucks, but the MG does NOT speak for all solid state technology. Many amp manufacturers such as Yamaha and Tech-21 make great ones.

With that said, check out the Yamaha DG-80. They're amazing modelling amps and LOUD. They sound incredible too! Allan Holdsworth uses or used them. They'll run you about 500 and it has some really neat tones out of it. I think you will dig them.
the point is, i gave what i'm looking for in an amp as guidelines, meaning i want what i said i want. i said i want solid state, i want solid state. that doesn't imply i want you to tell me about how i should get a tube amp and this and that.

what is it about the MG that makes it sucky so i know what to avoid when looking at different solid states?

They're just trying to help you man. If you don't like the help, don't take it, but don't get defensive because they think you could better your tone another way. I would suggest a used Blues Deluxe, then maybe a distortion pedal to nail the rocky tones. And I don't know why everyone thinks MG's suck. I've got a 30DFX, and it works fine. If I was gigging it would be another matter, but I'll just pick up a JCM 800 when I do start.
did jimi kurt and neil tell you i would be dissapointing them by not buying a tube amp? cos 2 of them are dead.

Just trying to help, Buddy. Usually when people specify they want a SS amp, it's because of a silly reason like "i just don't want to have to be extremely cautious as to what i do with the amp," or "i live in a small community so replacing tubes and stuff would all have to be ordered and shipped which takes time."

Hate to see such silliness stand in the way of a good amp. But you go ahead and buy what you want. Buy it new, too. That would be clever. The value on a SS amp drops a lot faster than a tube amp, too. But you don't care.

Good luck.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ +1

with 550 you could get a really nice 15 watt tube amp + an OD. it'll be as loud as a 60 watt solid state with a similar speaker configuration.

or you could not. and waste 550.

buy mediocre once, you'll have to buy something again. buy quality once, you'll have a much longer amp life span, and better tone. just something to consider.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by slatsmania
Just trying to help, Buddy. Usually when people specify they want a SS amp, it's because of a silly reason like "i just don't want to have to be extremely cautious as to what i do with the amp," or "i live in a small community so replacing tubes and stuff would all have to be ordered and shipped which takes time."

Hate to see such silliness stand in the way of a good amp. But you go ahead and buy what you want. Buy it new, too. That would be clever. The value on a SS amp drops a lot faster than a tube amp, too. But you don't care.

Good luck.

Well, replacing tubes is a bit of a nuisance for me as well. Thank god for the internet and thetubestore.ca/ , heh.

But seriously, what's with all of the hate on SS? I mean, I know there's a lot of crap, but there are good ones too. I think there are some crappy tube amps, but no one ever talks about those.
Quote by felenoral
But seriously, what's with all of the hate on SS? I mean, I know there's a lot of crap, but there are good ones too. I think there are some crappy tube amps, but no one ever talks about those.

You won't see me recommending a Valveking.

But in general, tube amps are just better. Better sound, better value, better investment. Even the SS amp you recommended, the Yamaha DG-80, what's it supposed to do so well? Oh, it's supposed to sound like a tube amp!

So why not just get a tube amp? Because of the "trouble" changing tubes? Man, I look forward to changing tubes. I change 'em just for fun.

But whatever...

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You won't see me recommending a Valveking.

But in general, tube amps are just better. Better sound, better value, better investment. Even the SS amp you recommended, the Yamaha DG-80, what's it supposed to do so well? Oh, it's supposed to sound like a tube amp!

So why not just get a tube amp? Because of the "trouble" changing tubes? Man, I look forward to changing tubes. I change 'em just for fun.

But whatever...

No, the amp I recommended is a modeling amp. It's built to sound like MANY tube amps (and a lot of other unique sounds as well). It does it really well. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE tube amps, but modeling technology is starting to get really interesting. I would recommend you to try it out. You might have some fun with it.
^ agreed. The vettas are pure awesomeness for the studio or sessison artist who does anything. Flexi's arent that bad either but they just arent justified by their 700 price tag
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
probably would have fun with it. the guy enjoys changing tubes.

A Vox AD30VT has made it thru my house (sold it for $5 more than I paid!). Not bad, but not a tube amp.

Now I just have a collection of tube amps, which I like a lot better.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
it is partially tube though isn't it?

Listen to Slats, the man knows his stuff. I was looking at solidstate too until he, and others showed me the light. The light being a tube amp .
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
"Partially tube" isn't tube.

The Valvetronix aren't bad amps, but I'd buy something like a used Peavey Classic 30 long before I bought a new AD50VT for the same money.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'm not even going to bother giving my opinion. All I would like to say is that I HATE when people come to forums and are close minded. When you come to a place to ask questions, you have to be open to the vast majority of opinions. If you're already set on an idea, why are you here?

hahaha ^ no don't listen to the guy who suggetsed spider lll, unless you like cold heart-less amps.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112. Killer amp at a killer price. All tube.
for that kind of money, you could get a new traynor ycv20

add around a hundred more and i think youre set for a crate v3112
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Modelling crap is awesome if you're not really in a band and you don't play primarily one style of music. If you do have one style in mind though, get a damn tube amp and stop being ignorant. The only good tones I've ever heard from solid-state and that is Diezel amps played by SS master Adam Jones of Tool. I think he blesses his amps or puts weird spells on them to sound that amazing because I always thought he used Tri Recs or something.

I can only imagine solid states primary home in Nu-metal. If you play that, great. However you have a quote from Hendrix in your sig which makes me wonder why you would go MG over JCM. Reliability is NOT an issue!!!! Lemme tell you a story about my Crate...It's solid state. I've had it a few years and its in terrible condition. The cleans break up at the lowest volumes. The ugly, sloppy distortion gets worse as the volume increases. Now, if it were a tube amp, I'd simply replace the tubes. Now i'm replacing the ENTIRE F'IN AMP! (Mind you, this time it will be tube). Don't be a foo'. Buy tube.
Line 6 flextones are decent.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Quote by felenoral
You do NOT need tube to sound great. A lot of people bash solid state without actually ever playing the higher end solid states. Yes, the Marshall MG sucks, but the MG does NOT speak for all solid state technology. Many amp manufacturers such as Yamaha and Tech-21 make great ones.

With that said, check out the Yamaha DG-80. They're amazing modelling amps and LOUD. They sound incredible too! Allan Holdsworth uses or used them. They'll run you about 500 and it has some really neat tones out of it. I think you will dig them.

First off, his budget is in canadian, so there goes the DG.

Secondly, good solid state amps are generally expensive, and for good reason too. There are several time tested, fan favorite tube amps out there that will give you plenty of bang for your buck. Peavey Classic and the Fender hot rod to name a few. Since he's in canada, it may be worth it to check out traynor amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra