I don't understand this Drop D business

It says that in standard tuning you 'drop/lower' the low E so it sounds like the D string, but if D is a higher pitched note than E, by equaling the two you are raising the pitch of the 6th string to match that D?

I got this wrong or what?
no you are dropping it a step to D. Match your 7th fret E to open A, and your in Drop D
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
It's all just to play powerchords easier.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
yeh, all it means is you tune the low E down ('dropping' the pitch) to D
ohai little sig.
nah man, u got it mixed up. remember D is a lower ptched note than E. remeber it goes.. D, D#, E.

So that means that D is 2 half steps lower than the E, or 1 whole step lower. Thats why u math the 7th fret of 6th string to the open of 5th string.

remember think of notes in a circle right.
So u have A, which is 5th string open?
and 6th string is a lower E when open
so u have... C C# D D# E F F# G G# A
so if u go back from A, ull see, the E as 5 half steps lower or 5 frets , hence we tune 5th fret on 6th string to open on A string.
And similarly for drop D, we drop the 6th string 2 half steps lower to D, so now theres 7 half steps between lower D and a higher A.
hope this helps..
I understand now, I was ignoring the fact that they are not the same Octave, thanks for clearing this up!
Quote by guitaristben
pluck the d string and down tune the e to make it sound like tht

Do not do this its wrong... Listen to the other people, 7th fret should = 5th string open (A)
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.