Page 1 of 2
Right, so my mate and I have decided that with a spare room at my house, we're going to build a recording studio. So we've got what we want to do set up, but we don't know what tech to put it.

Obviously, hanging guitars on the walls to save space. (we have way too many)
But we wanna get some high quality stacks so that we can use both in the studio and cart them around to outdoor things and the like.-
We also want a mixing desk, (preferably one that connects to a computer.) and a drumkit
So What I want to know:

Which Amps: My mate suggests stacks, large...as he puts it 'Some Marshall motha****ers'
Which Mixing desk:
Which Drumkit: (something electric? because I know someone with one and it's good for recording, or a nice acoustic and just connect ****loads of mics to it?)

Suggestions for these and anything else would be welcome, including synthesisers and stuff.
cheers.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Well, how much money do you have to spend? Sounds like quite a bit if you are looking to get all that gear.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Electric Drumkit unless you have a drumming panel/shield to stop the noise of them invading the mics you sing into.

Make your instrument mics Cardoid (sp?)

Decent cheap mixers are available of www.thomann.de as a full PA set sorta thing.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I have as much as I need to accomplish the task in the next 2-3 years.
Obviously things like amps come first as neither of us have such a good amp...
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
Sounds pretty ace, you should take photos and document it as you make it.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
If you want the best, and you are looking along marshall lines, then look for a Marshall JCM800 head and 1960A cab, you can get the head in 50w or 100w, i would personally go with the 50, although if your studio is going to be sound-proofed then the 100w head wont be a problem, the marshal JCM800 seems to be the most widely respected marshall amp, its full tube, loud as all hell and sounds amazing! If you have a lot of cash maybe look into a Mesa Boogie Mark IV head, they are incredibly versatile and sound amazing, they are 85 watts full tube, if you dont mind fiddling and tweaking your EQ for a good sound (which im sure you wont since you seem so keen on recording!) then theres a million amazing tones to be had
Diezel, Motherfucker
I shall indeed, and for the person suggesting soundproof foam. DAMN GOOD IDEA!!!
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
Are you putting the board and the instruments in the same room?

The way I see it, you should have two rooms. One for recording, one for mixing. The amps in the recording room, and the board and technician in the other.

I certainly don't recommend hanging guitars in the room you're going to record from. That will lead to unwanted vibrations which could be picked up by the mics.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
I certainly don't recommend hanging guitars in the room you're going to record from. That will lead to unwanted vibrations which could be picked up by the mics.

Well, I use guitar hangers, and as long as the guitars are a good few inches away from the wall, it shouldnt be a problem.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
They strings will still vibrate from soundwaves hitting them. This may or may not be a problem. But it's better to be safe than sorry.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

What no1 is telling you is about Golden Ratio.

Wiki it. It'll make your studio sound like a dream. Concentrate on that more than your equipment. It'll make every thing sound much much better.Golden Ratio Acoustics

Wiki it as well. Do ur research.

Contact me if u need help.
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Last edited by invincibleneo at Jul 2, 2007,
Quote by invincibleneo
What no1 is telling you is about Golden Ratio.

Wiki it. It'll make your studio sound like a dream. Concentrate on that more than your equipment. It'll make every thing sound much much better.Golden Ratio Acoustics

Wiki it as well. Do ur research.

Contact me if u need help.

I have no idea what the hell this is, but Im very curious, does this have to do mainly with the geometry of the room.

And btw if you are looking to make your room a recording studio, you definitely shouldnt have the guitars int here while youre recording, and you don't necessarily need a huge amp. If you get a small tube amp then that will do you fine for recording, as far as a stack or something for gigging, then you might want to just buy an amp head and make your own cab, thats what I am doing, its way cheap.
Homemade Guitar
Into
Digitech WH-4
Into
Boss CS-3
Into
Univox Super Fuzz
Into
Dunlop Original Wah
Into
Sears Roebuck and Co. Silvertone
1484 Twin Twelve Tube Amp.
I'd suggest getting some vj stacks for recording (they're very good for this in my opinion) and some of those line 6 "pod" amp simulators, a bunch of mikes for the amps, vocals, and drum mics, a mixer, possibly a good computer for storage and final prepping of the tracks, a good cd burner/duplicator, and yea some wall hangers and acoustic foam for the ceiling.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I totally forgot to mention mics. Yikes, that's a huge expense.

Don't even think about cheaping out on the microphones. Go for some Shure's, I've used the SMs alot and they're very excellent microphones.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

On the sound proofing...

Egg-boxes are probably some of the best things you can buy (with eggs to feed yourselves obv.) Ask in shops for used ones or old trays they used to be on.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
On the sound proofing...

Egg-boxes are probably some of the best things you can buy (with eggs to feed yourselves obv.) Ask in shops for used ones or old trays they used to be on.

Does it really work?
I thought it was something of an urban legend.
No, this is true, its not the material its made of its the way it is shaped that dampens the sound, if you could make dry wall shaped like an egg carton you would have the same effect, a lot of the foam you buy for soundproofing is shaped like the egg cartons too.
Homemade Guitar
Into
Digitech WH-4
Into
Boss CS-3
Into
Univox Super Fuzz
Into
Dunlop Original Wah
Into
Sears Roebuck and Co. Silvertone
1484 Twin Twelve Tube Amp.
the PHI (or golden number) thing looks like audiophile pseudo-science to me... does anyone has further evidence to prove that building a room using the said proportion leads to noticeable enhancement of the sound or is it again subjectivism ?

by the way, if you know how to tweak it to suit your tastes, I would suggest you go with the Pod, it's cheaper than real amps and the sound you get from it is really good. I do own one and use it extensively to record my own guitar tracks, it is also useful in a live setting, as you may use it to modulate the sound as you want while plugging into any PA and never worry about tubes that may go out or anything like that.

If you plan using a PC as a digital recording station, then I suggest you go look out for M-Audio sound cards, as they are both cheap in price and really good in performance (I use a Delta 1010LT). I would advise you to try Ubuntu Studio, a distribution of Linux tailored for recording (includes multitrack recorder software, sequencers, sheet music editor and more, all for free), as it is natively low latency and does not cost you a dime, unlike if you plan using Windows/Mac OS X with professional recording software (up to thousand of dollars).

Microphones are also very important, use a capacitor microphones to record the voice and dynamic mics to record drums/guitar amps (the SM57 from Shure would be a good choice in this case). A bass can be plugged in your console directly (in Hi-Z inputs or using a DI Box) or you may use an amp. Be aware of proper microphone placement if you want to get good sound out of your setup, there are books about that (sorry, I can't come out with a precise title...). Acoustic guitar, for example, should be recorded using one microphone at the 12th fret and another one at the bridge and not a microphone pointed at the sound hole as you may be tempted to do the first times.

Invest on cables, but do not pay for exotic audiophile things that do not have real evidence to justify their high prices... Go for plain old good stuff that is robust so you know it won't fail in your hands when you need it the most, or do it yourself if you are very good in electronics.
If you are getting gear for a studio, do not waste the money on big stacks... You are going to be using a mic anyways. Best bang-for-buck amp for your studio would be an Atomic Reactor with an amp modeler(PodXT, Tonelab LE...). That way you can get the sounds of all the different amps in your studio.

Behringer makes a GREAT vocal mic that will save you tons of money on the Shure; Behringer XM8500.
OK Golden Ratio is nothing to do with Pseudo Science.

Golden Ratio = 1.6180339887.......
For simplicity sake 1.618

Golden Ratio is present in your bodies. Measure ur self from head to toe, measure ur self from navel to toe, divide the two and you get golden ratio.
Measure urself from shoulder to middle finger tip, then measure from elbow to finger tip, and then divide the two you get golden ratio.
Well thats in your body, if you measure a sunflower from the center to the edge of the petal, and measure from the center till the edge of the brown area, divide it and guess what you get.
No. of Female bees and number of Male bees in a beehive is always in that......you know what ratio.

Its everywhere in nature, and everything beautiful in nature has golden ratio.

It was discovered ancients scholars, most notably Plato. And has been used extensivly in music, art, architecture. It adds an unknown beauty to things. Refer to Mozart - Magic Flute. The UN building in NY is built using Golden Ratio. Lot of other places I cant think of at the moment. Refer here

It present everywhere in nature. And its present in soo many places that people have just stopped looking for it. Its a part of us. Something very fundamental to golden ratio is Fibbonaci Sequence. Which is simply numbers progressing in serial order while adding them. So it 1,2,3,5,8,13,21,..........

In the Major scale you take 135 from the scale. Now divide 5 by 3 and you'll get 1.618. Which is the golden ratio.

So building your room around this would enhance ANYTHING you play. Check that link I've put up in my earlier post.

As for amps everyone here is right. Don't go in for a stack for a small room. If you are looking for a GOOD high end Valve amp then go for some boutique amp like Dr.Z or Pignose(not sure on the name) o something like that. They'll be 5-10W. But'll play like 15 w or so.....but will give you orgasmic tones. Jimmy Page has used some of these. Micing them will give you the best valve sound EVER!! If you want more names I'll give them to you.

Stacks are usually for gigging.

Btw, the guys at bose when they install at ur place....they keep 1.618 in mind and do it. Better yet if your gettin ur house constructed and you refer to them for ur theatre room or whatever.....they will involve Golden Ratio in it.
Quote by hendo123456789
dont get stacks as you wont be able to crank them.
get a real drum kit me thinks although my uncle has had great sucsess(sp?) in recording with a mapex electric kit.
the only problem with a acoustic kit is it need to be tuned well and you need to mic it.
major set back their will be tuning as its not just like a guitar, drums are hard to tune to perfection when you are starting out(im asumming(sp?) none of you guys are drummers)

sorry i couldnt be more helpful.
But you won't get the beautiful sound of an acoustic one on an electric. i mean acoustics just acoustic. Just like Valve is better than a SS.
Quote by hendo123456789
Theres' a price for everything.
Quote by hendo123456789
you can tune drums?
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
whose "you"?
Quote by hendo123456789
us in general...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Yes, you tighen the keys on the side.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I guess an ear can be developed. Tuning guitar by ear initially is a problem is as well. It'll come. And I think it might be much easier since your ear is a lot more trained playing the guitar.
Quote by hendo123456789
Everybody saying that you want big amps is going down the wrong path. Unless you've got sound isolation boxes, there's no way you can crank them without it sounding like bollocks (not to mention deafening you).
Aim for one or two smaller tube combo's (I'd go 20w MAX). Add some decent effects (or a good POD modeller), a few good mics (SM57/58's are pretty much standard) and a decent mixer and you should have enough you need.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
i will kidnap this thread for a while.... im planing on recording a kindda decent quality demo for my band and as you might know whe dont have a big budget so we were thinking of this mixer firewire mixer
for everithing, a decent drum mic kit (need sugestions) maybe a bass pod (we dont own a bass amp, and well... for the price sake XD),
and i was wondering if the line 6 flextone is a good recording amp trough the direct outs (i thinking of this amp becouse its going to be used for gigging too)

tnx
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????

laws of phisics down the dump....... volts and watts are the same
Do the Auralex foam work to sound proof a room??? or improve the acoustics...? i'm trying to have a room to play guitar in, but i live in a quiet neighborhood with a pair of annoying parents making me turn down my amps. so... as far as the Auralex foam goes, does it cut out the sound from going out the room? or does the sound come back to my ears better?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Whatever you do PLEASE do not get a huge tube amp in stack form, it'll take too much room and will not give you the optimum tone without hearing loss.

As everyone else has said, if you got the dosh, get some REALLY nice small tube combos, and get a variety for different tones.
Whatever you do PLEASE do not get a huge tube amp in stack form, it'll take too much room and will not give you the optimum tone without hearing loss.

As everyone else has said, if you got the dosh, get some REALLY nice small tube combos, and get a variety for different tones.

EDIT:

I do not know what any of these means, but this is the gear/equipment that our bassist has in his studio -

focusrite saphire 8 channel interface
cubase version 3.0
art tube pre-amp
stageline 6 channel headphone amp
shure/akg/audio technica microphones
boss GT6 bass guitar multi effect unit
2 x line 6 pod version 2.0 guitar multi effects units
various boss stomp boxes available for guitar
high quality XLR cables

He has added s'more stuff that I dont really know about, but GuitarRig 2 for emulation and shizzle.
For the amps, it's your choice.
If you do decide to get some "big Marshall stacks", get valve ones. And you're gonna have to turn them up really loud to have them at their best, and it might disturb people.

Consider a bit of soundproofing too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by invincibleneo
OK Golden Ratio is nothing to do with Pseudo Science.

I never said that the golden ratio was pseudo science, what I was saying is that building a room with this ratio in mind to enhance the sound looked like an audiophile thing that's not backed with substantial scientifical evidence.

Your demonstration did not help me understand why using this number to build a recording room would give me a better sound because dividing 5 with 3 gives 1,618... Would this room only enhance chords made from thirds and fifths ? Then you must forget recording rock songs there !

I had followed the link in your post and the Phi-shaped wire convinced me that it was, again, audiophile pseudo-science, no offense ! How come these principles (silver wires, exotic shaped wires, etc.) are only used in the audiophile world and not in any other electrical application ?

By the way, I think you are a fan of the Da Vinci Code, won't you !
Orange Tiny Terror, crank the beast and you'll get a sweet tone, try it with Epiphone Valve Juniors aswell.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Xp Sim
I never said that the golden ratio was pseudo science, what I was saying is that building a room with this ratio in mind to enhance the sound looked like an audiophile thing that's not backed with substantial scientifical evidence.

Your demonstration did not help me understand why using this number to build a recording room would give me a better sound because dividing 5 with 3 gives 1,618... Would this room only enhance chords made from thirds and fifths ? Then you must forget recording rock songs there !

I had followed the link in your post and the Phi-shaped wire convinced me that it was, again, audiophile pseudo-science, no offense ! How come these principles (silver wires, exotic shaped wires, etc.) are only used in the audiophile world and not in any other electrical application ?

By the way, I think you are a fan of the Da Vinci Code, won't you !

lol yea and i think he (invincibleneo) would also like the movie "23"
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
If you guys have a good budget, id suggest deffinetly going with a marshall stack, other than that you should probobly inquire at a store that would sell the other equipment, see what they think, ask professionals
Page 1 of 2