"Crazy Train" by Ozzy
"Master of Puppets" by Metallica
"Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N Roses
"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin
"Back in Black" by AC/DC

those are THE essentials
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
heh...god i gotta get better at guitar then, especially for the solos
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
Quote by Cosmicstar
heh...god i gotta get better at guitar then, especially for the solos

90% of people who can 'play' those songs, only know the main riff.

So you should be ok with that too.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
There are none that every guitarist should know, it's a matter of what songs they like and want to learn.
That's quite a difficult question to answer. It all depends on what kind of music you like and what you've been learning.

For instance, I'm not really a fan of metal, so I have no idea how the vast majority of, let's say, Metallica songs sound, let alone know how to play them.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by I'm_Guitarded
"Crazy Train" by Ozzy
"Back in Black" by AC/DC

those are THE essentials

I dont know any of them. I've been playing like 5 years, I used to know master of puppets but never really played it so I forgot it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by I'm_Guitarded
"Crazy Train" by Ozzy
"Back in Black" by AC/DC

those are THE essentials

tbh, a bit ambitious?
Quote by ldnovelo2
That guy Rhys90 is one of the greatest computer genius out there and we must found a religion to honor him
Eruption by EVH
Quote by ldnovelo2
That guy Rhys90 is one of the greatest computer genius out there and we must found a religion to honor him
Stairway= lame
Back in Black = lame
Sweet Child o Mine = lame
Crazy train = fun
Master of Puppets = fun.

Quote by Rhys90
tbh, a bit ambitious?

Not really. Anyone playing for like 2 years could have all of those songs, including the solos nailed.

It's more important at this time to make sure you are doing all your techniques correctly, like your vibrato and bends, legato and alternate picking. You can go ahead and learn songs, but at the same time you want to practice and perfect all of those techniques. That way when your famous you won't be as bad as Kirk Hammet.
Last edited by CowboyUp at Jul 2, 2007,
Quote by CowboyUp

Not really. Anyone playing for like 2 years could have all of those songs, including the solos nailed.

but he's only played for one year
Quote by ldnovelo2
most of what put me off on those are the solos (exclude stairway and back and black, could be done if i buckled down on them for a week) so yeah...

oh, i listen to classic rock, metal, rock, and punk so there you go.
Gear-
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
Quote by CowboyUp
Stairway= lame
Back in Black = lame
Crazy train = fun
Master of Puppets = fun.

so metal biased
Quote by Cosmicstar
most of what put me off on those are the solos (exclude stairway and back and black, could be done if i buckled down on them for a week) so yeah...

oh, i listen to classic rock, metal, rock, and punk so there you go.

Guitar solos aren't near as hard as alot of beginners make them out to be. They seem like titanic tasks, but once you know how to play it, know all the proper techniques, pretty much anything that isn't too crazy you can learn and nail right away.

I suggest go for it, learn a solo that is too hard for you (Crazy Train is probably the hardest one on that list from earlier). Even if you can't get it totally nailed, just the experience and practice will make you better. If you can get it nailed, thats great too =)
Quote by init24
so metal biased

nah, I learned all those solos, and I don't have fun playing any of them besides the Crazy Train one (it just fits so well, I love jumping around like an ADD boy rocking out with it).
Quote by CowboyUp
Guitar solos aren't near as hard as alot of beginners make them out to be. They seem like titanic tasks, but once you know how to play it, know all the proper techniques, pretty much anything that isn't too crazy you can learn and nail right away.

I suggest go for it, learn a solo that is too hard for you (Crazy Train is probably the hardest one on that list from earlier). Even if you can't get it totally nailed, just the experience and practice will make you better. If you can get it nailed, thats great too =)

ok...thanks!
Gear-
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
Quote by init24
so metal biased

Because we all know Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and GNR are metal

There are no songs everybody should know. It's entirely subjective.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
There are no songs everybody should know. It's entirely subjective.
I disagree. Everyone must be able to play Meshuggah's "Future Breed Machine" to a T and do the vocals at the same time.
I dunno, any punk or alternative song you like.

I don't know any of the solos from the songs I know how to play because I'm not patient enough.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by CowboyUp
I've played for three years and I can't play any of them, so shush.

Quote by ad4mZX
There are none that every guitarist should know, it's a matter of what songs they like and want to learn.
So sad that no one seems to understand this simple concept.
If you do decide to learn all of those solos, just remember that faster is never better. You want to practice them slowly (and without an amp, or without distortion, pick one ), and be absolutely sure that you're playing each note clean. Trust me, if you can make it sound good without an amp, then it will more than likely sound amazing with one.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by I'm_Guitarded
"Crazy Train" by Ozzy
"Back in Black" by AC/DC

those are THE essentials

Yeah...The essentials to get kicked out of your local music store.
Quote by Vittu0666
Yeah...The essentials to get kicked out of your local music store.

that's what i thought XP
Gear-
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
Quote by CowboyUp
Need a hug?

No, but financial assistance would be nice.
Quote by yawn
No, but financial assistance would be nice.

Hey man, I'd LOVE to have good gear. I have a cheap Ibanez S series sure, but I'm playing out of a 10 watt ibanez amp with no pedals
ummmmm...
seriously dude, the best thing to do would be to...
learn whatever you want, as well as some technicail stuff.
practice improv too that can be fun...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I've been playing for a year and yesturday I just began learning Master of Puppets. Someone told me it was all downstroked palm-mutes and since my hand wussies out on 8th note plam-muted riffs after a few minutes I started learning it. Once I have it nailed, I'll let you know if it helped
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by CowboyUp
Stairway= lame
Back in Black = lame
Crazy train = fun
Master of Puppets = fun.

It's more important at this time to make sure you are doing all your techniques correctly, like your vibrato and bends, legato and alternate picking. You can go ahead and learn songs, but at the same time you want to practice and perfect all of those techniques. That way when your famous you won't be as bad as Kirk Hammet.

2 years is a lot more than 1. Either way I think the idea of essential songs is retarded anyway.

Kirk was really good IMO all throughout the 80s. He didn't become horribly sloppy until about 93.