Hey,

I want to learn how to do Hammer Ons I think it is and also like when you see solos being played its like there just pressing the string in and you can play fast notes doing this... but I had looked at tutorials and tryed it but no luck.

I just wanna know do you need a special guitar or can you do this on any guitar? I mean I bought mine as a starter guitar and it was £80 in total so its pretty **** lol.. Its a Benson Fender Copy or something lol..

So can someone please help me to acheive this technique.

Thanks
you can do it on any guitar... and i really dont know how to explain it, it comes naturally really
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
What will I youtube.. apart from learning hammer offs... I mean whats the name of when you press the string in and it plays the note so you can play good solos?
Its called Sweep picking. It's what most people consider to be the hardest technique to learn. I cant do it... i've been playing for about a year. I figure ill get it down in the next 6 months or so though.
Lol it always surprises me how stupid people can be..
"Speed is nothing without control" - Bart Frydrychowitcz

Mark Morton is a God

Gear
Schecter Gryphon Diamond Series Limited Edition
Carvin SX-300 Half Stack
Podxt Live
V-amp 2
Peavey Transtube 110efx
Its called Sweep picking. It's what most people consider to be the hardest technique to learn. I cant do it... i've been playing for about a year. I figure ill get it down in the next 6 months or so though.

I don't think it is y'know...not one thing the TS has said sounds remotely related to sweeping. Having said that, it's kind of hard to figure out what he's on about I haven't got a clue!

TS, can you explain a but more about what it is you want to learn...also, how long have you been playing? It could be that you're hoping to learn a technique that's going to be a bit too advanced for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pull offs? eh who knows
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
okay,
hammer ons: you pluck the string once, but play multiple notes. you do this by either "hammering" on a higher fret (say a [e---3h5---] means you originally play the 3rd fret, but then, while the string is still vibrating, u press down as fast and hard as you can on the 5th fret) or "pulling" a finger off of a higher fret (a [e---5p3---] means you press down on both the 5th and the 3rd frets, strum the string while holding down on the five and then immediately release the 5th fret finger, only leaving the 3rd fret finger pressed down). in both cases you will hear a transition from either a lower to a higher note, or from a higher to a lower note. this transition is called either a hammer on or a pull off. sometimes you will see something like [e---3h4p0---]. all that means is that you strum once, then press hammer to a 4 and quickly pull off to a 0.

don't expect to get this technique down fast, it takes a lot of practice, especially if you want to do it flawlessly and with a good "flow."

bending: you bend a string with your fret board fingers, either up or down, raising the pitch of the note ur playing. some solos will have tabs with something like this in em [B---13b(15)--]. that means you bend the B string on the 13th fret to sound like the 15th fret. that's also called a full bend. if you see something like [B---13b(15)r---] that means u bend to a 15, but then bend the string back (release the bend).

sweep picking: if you don't know how to hammer on and pull off, it will be a quite a while until you'll be able to sweep pick. this is one of the hardest techniques to learn on guitar, as someone already said up there... i suck at it, suck at it baaad. it basically involves a free transition between playing chords and single notes. you have to stop thinking in terms of which note you play on which string. don't even know how to explain it properly, a bunch of metal bands abuse this to no end. if you stick to playing punk/pop-punk/alt/emo, you'll likely never need this.
Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown,
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time,
Watching her, these things she said,
The times she cried,
Too frail to wake this time.
Last edited by shamu1001 at Jul 2, 2007,
he said hitting just a note and it sounding without picking it, that = tapping. so to the threadstarter, i think it is tapping you are talking about, very fun technique.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
it will come to you man, just gotta practice. yes check youtube on how you do them but dont follow what they do. practice songs you play, and lessons from this site. it will also give you ur style that you play(the genre you like to play)
The tapping part is easy as long as you've got lotsa gain.

Hammer on's take some practice to do it flolwingly.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell