is it the amp head or the cabinet? or something else?

im looking to find an amp with 200-400 dollars thats gonna sound nice and still be loud enough to play shows over drums and all... until now ive been relying solely off of wattage but i keep hearing that thats not the way to go.. any help?

lookin for a crash course on amps, wattage and its relationship to volume

thanks a lot
The wattage of the head, and the efficiency of the speakers.

EDIT: And whether or not the amp is tube. Tubes sound louder than SS.
its mostly based on quality, tubes get roughly twice the power for every watt as SS, and the more wattage your head puts out, the louder it will be, as long as your cab speakers are built to handle it
Quote by imnotcommunist
lets make an emo song!!
first play same 2 power chords over and over
have a breakdown every 10 seconds
cry and whimper
dont forget the hair over one eye
and the depressing lyrics on how your teddy bear died!
my wife
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by RJMan
its mostly based on quality, tubes get roughly twice the power for every watt as SS, and the more wattage your head puts out, the louder it will be, as long as your cab speakers are built to handle it

Tubes do not get twice the power for every SS Watt. The power rating can measured different(ie. RMS, peak), but a watt is a watt, ss or tube. Tube amps sound louder because as tubes begin to clip, the harmonics and distortion they produce is subtle at first, and appears as an increase in loudness to the human ear. As a SS amp clips, it produces a harsh distortion that is not subtle and not pleasing to the ear for most people.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i like hard clipping.

and duh, volume is determined by how big the amp is.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
i like hard clipping.

and duh, volume is determined by how big the amp is.

haha, true, but... like was mentioned, speaker efficiency plays a large part too. The lower the efficiency, the more power is going to produce heat rather than sound. The difference can be in the same range associated with doubling the power of an amp(+3B).
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
No, I was talking about physical size.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
No, I was talking about physical size.

Quote by strangedogs
my wife

amp clips
amp vids
It depends on how high the numbers go. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Eleven.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
But why not just only have 10 numbers and make 10 one louder?
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
giggle giggle giggle...

on topic though, more speakers will give your sound more oomph, you will have more of a presence
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
well I've never heard a spinal tap refrence to 11 on ug...

but to answer the man's question, for anything from jazz to classic rock, Peavey Valveking
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Quote by powerage225

but to answer the man's question, for anything from jazz to classic rock, Peavey Valveking

HAR HAR HAR
^ Touch her boobies while she sleeps, it's the next best thing, and I have done it many times.
Quote by powerage225

Agreed!