I'm looking to reforge my old band mates and create a hardcore band. By this I mean a newer hardcore feel, like Refused and Snapcase, but incorperate a little old school, a little metalcore, etc. I checked to see if there were any hardcore lessons on UG - they both suck. I tried to search for a similar thread, but I came up blank. I just want to know what you think the definition of hardcore is from a definition standpoint, not the bands that play hardcore.

I guess I'm just looking for basic tips and stuff for people who play hardcore guitar stuff already. I just want to know what kind of tunings are usually used, what techniques I should learn to perfect, good keys (I don't think I've seen many songs in C), etc. I know a little from playing tabs from the bands I listen to, but I want to know what you guys think. Sorry if this was already a thread, and I'm pretty much aware that I sound like a total n00b or whatever. Don't flame me for being basically musically retarded.
Last edited by PDMChubby at Jul 2, 2007,
Regardless of what you play, make sure you really enjoy it. The worst is going to see a band play, and the members jsut totally aren't into it.

As for techniques, learn to use palm muting well, without chugging, throw some in for emphasis, in between chord changes, etc.
Play with lots of energy live, that is always a key

don't go much below D as far as tunings go. Be original if you can, the genre as a whole is really watered down with generic bands
Just play what you think sounds good. Take some things from bands you like, but don't try to imitate them completely. I play in a hardcore band, and I find that our songs all sound reminiscent of what we are really into listening at the moment, but we try to give it an original sound that you don't get tired of.

As far as things that go along with all types of hardcore, you will need to be good at incorporating palm-muting, fast picking, a generally quick left hand (be able to change chords quickly and easily) and just be original.

Oh and for God's sake, when you start playing shows, don't sit there and play staring at your guitar. It may compromise sound a little for the first few shows to have a lot of on-stage energy, but after a while you get used to it, and you will be able to have a good stage prescence without having to compromise quality of sound. Just have fun and don't take it too seriously, but at the same time don't look like you don't care at all.

EDIT: Sorry that just basically told you a lot about playing concerts, which you probably already know. Sorry
Play everything with dropped powerchords and as harshly as possible.... ahaa.

Basically on stage go f**ing crazy but with out losing sound quality.

Also learn to palm mute, string skip and tremelo picking and finger tapping if you are playing some metalcore stuff as well.
I think to try and play something is a bit hard.
Play something that sounds good to you and your friends.
If it isn't hardcore, then so be it.
Quote by Gymmeh

I like this advice.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by Gymmeh

I agree wholeheartedly, but after a while of trying to write music for quite a while, I find it's a lot easier and I get a much better outcome when I have a little direction in the beginning, and then as I get further in, I branch out to something new from there. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.
Quote by Gymmeh

That's how it's been with my band. Half of our songs aren't even really hardcore, at least not 100% hardcore, almost all of our songs could fit into a different subgenre. That's what makes it fun to me.
Quote by PDMChubby
I agree wholeheartedly, but after a while of trying to write music for quite a while, I find it's a lot easier and I get a much better outcome when I have a little direction in the beginning, and then as I get further in, I branch out to something new from there. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

best of both worlds there.
Listen to a buttload of hardcore and learn to play it. After awhile, you start subconsciously write music in that style.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
Drop tuning
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
Quote by guitarwannabe16
Listen to a buttload of hardcore and learn to play it. After awhile, you start subconsciously write music in that style.

It's true.

Pick up techniques from bands you listen to, and practise with them a bit. After a while you can write a riff of your own using these techniques.
Actually, learn songs by some of the bands that you'd like to incorporate into the sound you are going for. Hopefully they will influence you in a manner in which you won't have to consciously rip off them; rather, borrow different ideas and blend them with you're own style to create something unique.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
^Basically what I was trying to say but you said it better.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
hardcore is one of the easiest genres of music to play, so you really dont need lessons. learn some powerchords, maybe some other inversions of chords, maybe solo, and just practice playing relatively fast.

kind of sounds like a diss on hardcore but its not. its easy to play, as someone said before "little talent lots of heart"
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Do this with dropped D atleast once ever song.

-0-0-0--
-0-0-0--
-0-0-0--

Just kidding, just play whatever sounds good to you
"little talent lots of heart"

You couldn't have said this any better hardcore was more about the whole community aspect than the music would be as general acceptance goes they weren't trying to make money is what I'm saying it was all about the music.
"Life is just a ride... just a ride" - Bill Hicks
haha dont quote me on that it was someone else on the board who said it. its very true though
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
it was Dai imo
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

ok some like old skool hardcore is kinda like hatebreed's satisfaction is the death of desire or terror stuff,and like new hardcore is like hatebreeds album supremacy,thats the first thing that came to mind so...yea
If it isn't hardcore, then so be it

words of wisdom...

try playing powerchords with penatonic scales as fills. its a start and its pretty simple