Ok, I just bought a roland cube 60 for about $120, but I messed up and it's actually a Super Cube. They were made back in the 70s-80s I think, and it doesn't have all the features of the new model. I like that the bass isn't overpowering, it suts my playing style and tone pretty well, but the distortion is kinda lousy and it's also fairly noisy. I like it enough that I'm not going to return it and try to get another amp, so I'm basically wondering a few questions. One, will a noise gate in my signal chain help cut down the noise in the amp? I'm kinda clueless about that, since my old amp had a built-in gate. Two, is there anything I can do to improve the distortion, or should I just get some pedals? It's kinda overdrive-ish, but still distortion and not overdrive. Three, is this amp crap at high(er) volumes? I haven't been to band rehearsal with it yet, and I can't turn it up at home (REALLY loud amp). I don't want a ****ty-sounding amp at practise, so I wanna know beforehand. Last, will it work for pretty much any style if I use pedals? I play some clean stuff, including occaisional jazz, but I also play a lot of metal. Thanks in advance.
Ok folks, its been an hour and nobody's responded. Either you're stunned I got a 60 watt for $120 or you don't know anything about this amp, I'm guessing the latter. Forget the noise gate question, I found the answer to that myself and plan on looking around for an isp decimator. Scratch question 4 too, that one's obvious in hindsight. I figure I'll probably just get a distortion pedal, so scratch question two. So, can somebody tell me if this amp sounds bad at high volumes please? I would really like to know BEFORE I go to practice.
why don't you turn it up and see?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
why don't you turn it up and see?

I told you, I can't. This thing makes my room vibrate at 3 or 4 when its CLEAN. 6 or 7 distorted, and quite possibly clean as well, would have my parents yelling at me for playing too loud in no time. I'm currently using it at about 1 or 1.5 for practising. I could drag it out to my garage at some point tomorrow I guess, but the only outlets in there are hidden behind shelves full of all kinds of crap. Since we just moved in, those shelves are hidden behind boxes and are a pain to get to. So I'd really rather not.
Thanks for posting though, and I'm sorry if I'm acting like an a-hole. It's late and I've got work due for an online class tomorrow, so I have to keep working.
run an extension cord outside
for a quick 5 minutes
and turn it up.

plus, if it's that loud in your room, clean, it's safe to assume it'll be loud enough for band practice around those volume levels.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

not worried about loudness, i'm worried about it sounding like $hit since it's a solid state. I guess that's what i'll have to do, though. Thanks for your help.
i didn't mean loudness.

i ment you'd heard it at 3-4 clean. and you didn't say it sounded bad, but was very loud. i said that it's safe to assume that around that volume would be sufficient for jamming. and you didn't have a problem with it at 4, 5 or 6 won't be much different.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565