If you're using an SG, you could set one volume knob to 0 and the other volume knob to 10. Then you could play with the switch on the guitar. It should sound the same, just a little harder to play a little faster.

If you have an amp with an overdrive button, you can also get a sound like a killswitch. Set the Clean volume knob to 0, and the Overdrive volume to your regular setting. It doesn't matter how much gain you put on, as long as you can still hear the guitar on Overdrive. Then, you would just push the Overdrive button as if it were a killswitch and it could sound the same as a killswitch, without the hassle of modding your guitar.

I actually don't know if this will cause any damage to either your amp or your SG, but I'm still using this method to play Jordan by Buckethead. Its a little harder, but it sounds like a killswitch.
Quote by SathiaSun
If you're using an SG, you could set one volume knob to 0 and the other volume knob to 10. Then you could play with the switch on the guitar. It should sound the same, just a little harder to play a little faster.

If you have an amp with an overdrive button, you can also get a sound like a killswitch. Set the Clean volume knob to 0, and the Overdrive volume to your regular setting. It doesn't matter how much gain you put on, as long as you can still hear the guitar on Overdrive. Then, you would just push the Overdrive button as if it were a killswitch and it could sound the same as a killswitch, without the hassle of modding your guitar.

I actually don't know if this will cause any damage to either your amp or your SG, but I'm still using this method to play Jordan by Buckethead. Its a little harder, but it sounds like a killswitch.

Or, you know, you can just install a killswitch for the total cost of about $3.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I do that with my SG just to silence it between songs and stuff. Cheap alternative for the electronically impaired.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by the_random_hero
Or, you know, you can just install a killswitch for the total cost of about $3.

Really? I thought it would be a hell of a lot more expensive. Like, around $50 bucks or so.
Last edited by SathiaSun at Jul 8, 2007,
bucketheads switch is like a tap one though i would think that would be more expensive and it looks like he barely taps it
it's really cool watching him play that song
Just use the toggle come on everybody has and does do it when they do killswitches. Randy Rhoades. Hell Tom Morello does it all the time
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by guitaristd
bucketheads switch is like a tap one though i would think that would be more expensive and it looks like he barely taps it
it's really cool watching him play that song

Mine is a red tapping switch and it cost me about $5 canadian.
Quote by *kas
Mine is a red tapping switch and it cost me about $5 canadian.

Where did you buy it from?
i was coming in here to say "modern high gain tube amp at volume". dang, that's a shame. wrong killswitch.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Doesnt buckethead use STSP?

StSP is the one where you push and the signal goess off, and when you release, it comes back on again?
^ Depending on how you wire it, an SPST and an SPDT can both do the same thing. With an SPST, you cut the signal. With an SPDT, you shunt it to ground.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i was coming in here to say "modern high gain tube amp at volume". dang, that's a shame. wrong killswitch.

And don't forget the Caparisons with EMGs.
i would say get a life and tone of your own - aim for something, but differ from it - or all these tone fools will cancel each other out!
^ haha, check my post.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for a tappy one, you'd need a SPST push to break switch. just take the signal wire from the output jack (the wire connected to the part of the jack which will touch the very tip of the lead (the bit wit the notch around it)) and attach it to either end of the switch, then take the other end of the switch to where you disconected the first wire from.

simple!

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Dave_Mc

dang! hahahaha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SathiaSun

That is not how killswitching is done by 90% of people...
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
for a tappy one, you'd need a SPST push to break switch. just take the signal wire from the output jack (the wire connected to the part of the jack which will touch the very tip of the lead (the bit wit the notch around it)) and attach it to either end of the switch, then take the other end of the switch to where you disconected the first wire from.

simple!

Not really. You'd actually take a momentary SPDT, similar to what you mentioned- but instead of on/off, it's on-on. You either ground the signal, or let it go to the output jack.
Just came back from Radioshack and I got a SPST "Soft Touch" Momentary switch for $3.24 including tax. Way cheaper than what I thought it was gonna be.

The only problem I think I'll have now, is finding where to put the killswitch. I have no idea where to put it.
Quote by John W
That is not how killswitching is done by 90% of people...

Yeah. I know. That's why I said "How to get a similar sound" since I thought that modding a killswitch would cost a fortune... man, was a I wrong.