great men are medium rare these days
they either die hard or they hide
the latter aren't so great at all you know
the greats stay til they are done on both sides

to all these teachers and all these librarians
before they get burnt up by the barbarians
we raise our glass for one last toast
before they bite the apple and serve as a roast

this song is about st. lawrence. i think his story is a testament to being a real badass. as pope sixtus was being led off to be killed under valerian's rule he allegedly predicted "you will join me in three days." so then he gave up everything he had to the poor (hence the third line).

lawrence was sorta of a bookkeeper for early christianity and they supposedly had a lot of gold and wealth stashed away as to keep it out of the hands of romans, more importantly though have it for the church. the government insisted that he bring to them the community's wealth. and so he agreed and the next day showed up with a throng of the sick and the poor exclaiming that these people were the welath of the church. apparently they didn't find it as clever as i do so according to legend, although he was most likely beheaded, he was burned to death on a gridiron. to make the legend even juicier they were telling him to renounce his faith and tell them where the gold was to which he responded, "you can turn me over, i'm done on this side."
#DTWD
Once I knew what it was about, I liked it more. But not so much before, seemed almost like you were looking for random things that rhymed.
Quote by GregMisiakk
Once I knew what it was about, I liked it more. But not so much before, seemed almost like you were looking for random things that rhymed.

so should i add something in to make it more obvious, or keep it ambiguous? i want it to sound clever, not retarded.
#DTWD
well, as long as we know what are u writing about the piece makes sense. It is interesting but i seriously i dont like AABB rhyming scheme u've got in 1st, 3rd and 5th stanzas -- it makes it sound kind of forced and childish. Anyway, im expecting to read some other good stuff from u...
C4C
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621528

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621528