How do I connect my head to my cab?

I see 3 speaker outputs, two of which seem like 1/4 cable jacks, and one of which looks like a huge hole.

(Excuse the poor picture)

So do I just buy a speaker cable and plug one of the 1/4 jacks into a similar 1/4 jack on my cab? Or do I need to plug two cables in to both jacks?
The cab should have either 1 or 2 1/4in jacks on it. what i have done is run cables to the cab via those wholes

and yes you should have 2 outputed.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
How do I connect my head to my cab?

So do I just buy a speaker cable and plug one of the 1/4 jacks into a similar 1/4 jack on my cab?

That is what you do, if there is one cab input, if you have another/2nd input for the cab that could be for different speakers in the cab to be powered by byamping. You may also have a 2nd input/output on the cab to go from that cab to another. Find all the info on your cab .
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
the huge whole is a speakon cable, i never knew anything about those until maybe a year ago when my old guitarist bought a mixer. they're odd.
Quote by silentscream51
the huge whole is a speakon cable, i never knew anything about those until maybe a year ago when my old guitarist bought a mixer. they're odd.
Speakon connectors became necessary because of the increasing output of amplifiers.
Jack plugs and cannons connectors have exposed metal parts with can be a health risk where electricity is concerned.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
My cab does have two jacks... so I just plug one cable into one of the cable jacks on each, because I only have one cab - correct?

Eg.

Head + 1 Cable in 1 jack (out of 2) ===> 1 jack (out of 2) on the cab

Should I just ignore the Speakon thing?
Quote by Charlatan_001
My cab does have two jacks... so I just plug one cable into one of the cable jacks on each, because I only have one cab - correct?
Should I just ignore the Speakon thing?

The two jacks on the amp and cab are in parellel, you can either run two cables to two cabs or one cable from the amp into the first cab and out of the second jack socket on the first cab to a second cab if you have one.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Charlatan_001
Alright, so I guess I should just ignore the Speakon?

If you want or you can use it.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
the speakon cable will give you more power and clarity to your cabinet but i believe the cables cost a little bit more.... worth it in my opinion though cuz the difference can be quite substantial sometimes.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
the speakon cable will give you more power and clarity to your cabinet but i believe the cables cost a little bit more.... worth it in my opinion though cuz the difference can be quite substantial sometimes.

^+1 very true.
Quote by MLmaster37
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
Quote by Revelation

That is completely wrong, speakons are connectors not cables.
Neutrik Speakon connectors were designed to meet a safety issue and nothing more, with some amplifiers having outputs of over 3000 watts it was not considered safe to use connectors with bare metal parts, with speakon connectors the metal parts only become exposed after insertion into the speakon socket.
If you have noticed any difference in the performance of your rig when switching to different cables/connectors then the reason must lay elsewhere.
Please don't get offended by my reply, I have been building sound systems for over thirty years so I do consider that I know what I am talking about, and to my knowledge no company makes any claims other than safety and reliability regarding Neutrik Speakon connectors.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Man, for some reason, I always thought they were called Speaktron cables, like some sort of robot. But, from what I understand, it doesn't really matter what you plug into the head (whether you have 2 cabs both into the head, one cab into the second cab and then the second cab into the head, or just one cab), one cable or two, all that matters is that the Ohm ratings match up. Any way you plug 2 4 Ohm cabs into the head, it'll be 2 Ohms. Unless it's a bi-amp, and then that's a different story. But this is how I see it, I could be wrong (and John Swift would know).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by John Swift
That is completely wrong, speakons are connectors not cables.
Neutrik Speakon connectors were designed to meet a safety issue and nothing more, with some amplifiers having outputs of over 3000 watts it was not considered safe to use connectors with bare metal parts, with speakon connectors the metal parts only become exposed after insertion into the speakon socket.

Thanks for clearing that up, it made me think back.
There was a company that claimed the connectors allowed more voltage through these than standard 1/4 inch some years back, probably as a sales tactic. what company I don't remember.
I never thought by dissecting one that this could be true come to think of it ( about the handling mor voltage).
I do know they are safer and don't accidently disconnect like a 1/4 inch can. I've been zapped before with bannana plugs and use Neutrik Speakons on most of my gear and the cables are heavier so I presume thats why I have heard a tone and power difference.
I mean in general my cables with the Neutrik speakons are heavier gauge cables.
Quote by MLmaster37
thank you for your help

Last edited by Chromemoly at Jul 4, 2007,
So if I use a Speakon connector with a Speakon end and a 1/4 end, it will be safer to use than the standard speaker cable I have now?

Also, some guy at a music store I rarely go to said that it's okay to use a normal instrument cable - I've read in numerous places that it isn't alright, but I forgot why - could someone enlighten me?

My head does overpower my cab (head is 450W @ 4 Ohms, cab can handle 400W @ 4 Ohms), but it never peaks cuz I don't crank it.
Just use the 1/4 inch for your application and don't use an instrument cable. Try a 14 gauge 1/4 speaker cable as short as you can use to reach the cab.
Quote by MLmaster37
thank you for your help

For connecting a head to a cab, use 1/4" speaker cable, not instrument cable due to safety hazards
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Also, some guy at a music store I rarely go to said that it's okay to use a normal instrument cable - I've read in numerous places that it isn't alright, but I forgot why - could someone enlighten me?

Speaker cables are able to take power including in many case where two core mains cable is used.
Instrument cables are for signal not power just the same as television aerial cables, the screening is to prevent unwanted signal entering the cable and being amplified, think of it as "would you put a mains plug on you TV cable".
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yeah, that's what I thought. That's probably why I've decided not to go to that store again - the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

Alright, thanks guys for all the input, I really appreciate it!
Quote by Chromemoly
Thanks for clearing that up, it made me think back.
There was a company that claimed the connectors allowed more voltage through these than standard 1/4 inch some years back, probably as a sales tactic. what company I don't remember.

Heavier gauge cable will have less resitence than lighter gauge cable after 10 metres, but, getting them too longs can then bring in other problems like induction but that's getting a bit deep.
That is why at concerts they have the desk down the venue and the power amps on stage receiving signal not output power.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn