I have a jcm900 4102 100w combo, and it badly (and I mean badly) needs a retube.

I think it uses 2 el34s in thw poweramp but I don't know about the 2 preamp tubes (any idea what these might be?).

I want a smooth lead tone, as in Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Goven etc.

I've heard good things about JJ tubes.

Any idea on how much it will cost to buy and have the tubes installed by a pro?
You generally don't need a pro to install the tubes unless you want to change the bias settings. Just pull them out and pop the new ones in.

Check if your amp has EL34 power tubes or 6l6(5881) power tubes(The big ones). The 100 watt version is supposed to have 4.

Earlier JCM 900s came with EL34s, but they became hard to find, so they just switched to 6l6 power tubes. If it has EL34, then I'd recommend JJ Tesla EL34 s or SED Winged C EL34 s.

Your JCM 900 should have 3 preamp tubes. They should all be some kind of 12ax7. I recommend Tung Sol 12ax7 to replace those.

All together, the tubes should cost over $100. But lower if you skimp and go for the cheaper ones. An amp tech or shop usually charges $40 for bias and change.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by mw7 at Jul 3, 2007,
Don't post the same question twice. Either delete this thread or delete your post in the Tubes thread.
Hi, I'm Peter
"Check if your amp has EL34 power tubes or 6l6(5881) power tubes(The big ones). The 100 watt version is supposed to have 4."

You can have either. EL34's keep the "Marshall" brit sound. I think you can put it either the 5881 or 5650's I am really blanking on the number right now for a more "American" gain sound. More gain, pretty much.

It will cost a pretty penny to retube, and if you want a smooth lead tone, get something like a Tubescreamer OD pedal.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
"Check if your amp has EL34 power tubes or 6l6(5881) power tubes(The big ones). The 100 watt version is supposed to have 4."

You can have either. EL34's keep the "Marshall" brit sound. I think you can put it either the 5881 or 5650's I am really blanking on the number right now for a more "American" gain sound. More gain, pretty much.

It will cost a pretty penny to retube, and if you want a smooth lead tone, get something like a Tubescreamer OD pedal.

Yea that's what I'm saying, but I just wanted him to check, so he wouldn't buy the wrong set of tubes, not bias the amp for them and screw something up.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix