hey guys!..
I wanna ask if a guitarist got a 100 watts amp. what should I get?

the same or bigger or what?... I know it's kinda stupid but please help me

Thanks!!
Rock on!

The Sniper of The Bass Militia . PM Indiemetalhead to join!.
Bigger definately. If it's tube, you need an absolutely huge amp.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
then Fender Rumble 100 is out.... maybe getting Hartke VX3500, 350 watts is enough?

and is it good for gigs in open places ?
Rock on!

Okay Then ! Hartke VX3500 it is

thanks alot guys !
Rock on!

Or, any other amp with that much power?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
yeah but I think the hartke will do the job...do u have any other amp with the same power in mind ?
Rock on!

Don't get Hartke. I have one (ok so its only a 120watt combo) but its rubbish, poor design meant that i've needed 2 new input jacks, some new circuitry and a new speaker cone inside 15 months, since these upgrades tho it has been fine
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
The guitarist in my band has that amp. Tell him he should find another amp to buy. And that Hartke is fine.
Quote by DesolationRow0
i think there are 300W or more ashdown combos, those are pretty sweet, look for them...

Yeah, the Ashdown MAG series are ecxellent. And if you can stretch your budget a bit further the ABM series are even better, and they are 575 watts so you will have plenty of headroom no matter what it is needed for.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
yeah, if youre really into music and are willing to take the next step... buy a good head and cab... your guitarist will cry on the corner of your shows if you do ahah
Quote by Bassist-E
well, he told me that he's getting the Marshall MG100DFX
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=38

my guitar player has the same amp. i use an Ampeg B2R amp with a a Ampeg 4x10 cab. thats only 200w with one cab. i have no problem being heard. the bass amp wattage needs to be at least double the guitar amp, for solidstate. this is a general rule.
everytime some buys an MG....
god kills a kitten

anyways the hartke combo is ok. They make really good heads but their cabinets leave a fair bit to be desired. I own the Ha2500 head and the VXL 410 cab and the sound quality is excellent but i have had to replace a speaker in the cab twice.

and in regards to the rule of needing twice as much wattage as the guitarist, this is only true if your guitarist is intending to turn his up to full volume. I have gigged for a fair while now and i have never needed to push my amp past half volume for the fact that they get miced up and put through the front of house. I know alot of fellow bassist who use 100watt combos and get through gigs fine.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Last edited by bazz_aaron at Jul 4, 2007,
i'm not telling you not to get a big one cuz go for it i say but i don't know why bassists seem to have this idea you need insane wattage. i play in a band out of a 60 watt and one guitarist has an old fender 80 watt and the other guitarist has a peavey 120 watt and both of their amps are mic'd through our PA and you can hear me just fine. i dunno maybe my amp is just oddly loud.....i'd vote for the hartke personally.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
well, I'm not sure that the only 2 music stores have an Ashdown Product...there's only Fender,Hartke,Roland & Marshall...yeah that sucks!

so what u guys think of the Roland DB-900 ? because I'm not sure of the Hartke from what u guys wrote...

I'm Confused !
Rock on!

Well its not only the Watt it the speakers. Im had 100 watt 112 that cant keep up with a 60 watt 212! But Id say get a good 15' atleast if moneys short try the Behringer ULTRABASS BXL3000 300W 1x15" Bass Combo Its a ok amp but it's got the power and i dont really like Behringer (not many do) but its got the kick for a good price!!
The general concensus is you'll want 4x the wattage your guitar player has. Not only for stage volume, but for headroom, as well. If there aren't a lot of speakers involved, you could settle with 3x the wattage, or maybe even 2x the wattage if your guitarist doesn't fuzz out his tone and you have more speakers than him.

My guitarist uses a 65W Marshall combo, and I use a 250 Fender combo, and we like the even-ness of that setup. If you're competing against a 100W amp, you'll want 400W, but those 300W combos should do just fine (especially if you have an extension cabinet).

EDIT: Don't you DARE go Behringer. Not only are there products inconsistant and explosion prone, they basically lie about how much power their amps have. If you get a 300W Behringer combo, you'll be lost in the sauce. But, hey, some bassists like that kinda thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Captain Insano
Rule of Thumb: Always, Get the biggest amp you can get.

Wrong. What if the biggest amp he can get is a behringer? And many 100 watt tube heads sound better than 1000 watt solid states.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Behringers arn't too bad. The only problem is that you can't always get a good tone out of it when you turn it to '11'.

I'd say twice the power of the guitar's amp would be fine
ive got a 3ow and can still hear it good and play it good when a tube amp is playin
Quote by indie-bassist
Yeah, the Ashdown MAG series are ecxellent. And if you can stretch your budget a bit further the ABM series are even better, and they are 575 watts so you will have plenty of headroom no matter what it is needed for.

X2 FTW

You only need twice as much wattage as what the guitarist has.
okay then, there's 2 options : the Hartke VX3500, or Randall DB-900 because they are the only bass amps with 300-350 watts in the music stores in my country :S!

what u think ?
Rock on!

well i took a look at both and really it's a pretty close call to me... but the roland says it has 7 speakers(including the horn) 4 10" speakers 2 12"speakers and the horn.... i guess you buy the 12" speakers seperately because it doesn't show them... but it has it in the desription so....

because of my confusion over that speaker stuff and also becuase of the hartke's 10band eq i pick the hartke... but remember i believe the hartke needs another 8 ohm extension cab to use the full 350 watts otherwise it's 240.

EDIT: ok so i read a little better and noticed it said 2 12" passive radiator speakers. while i'm not sure on this my guess is these are ... hidden somewhere inside and do not point straight forward...so that your sound is strong in all directions instead of just right in front of your amp.....REMEMBER THAT'S A GUESS......

and so now i must say i really don't know which to pick because if i'm right about those 12" speakers that's really cool.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 5, 2007,
Yes, I would say it's a toss up for you.

You may find your answer here. http://www.forumspile.com/NM-Jiggawatts2.jpg
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
the rule of thumb I've always gone by and preached is you need 3x the wattage of the guitarist to cut through the mix, but that tube amps count as about 3x to solid state.

However, I must point out this formula gets kinda f'd around 100 watts, and whys that?

Because a 500 watt bass amp is loud enough for anything, as is a 100 watt tube guitar amp.
Basically, use that formula for smaller settings. You could probably get away with a 300 watt bass amp, I'd recommend atleast a 500, but regardless of what happens both you and the guitarist need to be willing to sacrifice having the volume on 11 the whole time in order to hear the other better.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Over kill on amps isn't necersarily a bad thing, it just means you have mroe headroom which means your tone is better.

For my next amp im looking at 1450W - 1600W, I will never need that much but I might as well just have it yunno.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
The rule of thumb is getting an amp three times as strong as the guitarist's amp, and not getting a Bheringer.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Revelation

EDIT: ok so i read a little better and noticed it said 2 12" passive radiator speakers. while i'm not sure on this my guess is these are ... hidden somewhere inside and do not point straight forward...so that your sound is strong in all directions instead of just right in front of your amp.....REMEMBER THAT'S A GUESS......

and so now i must say i really don't know which to pick because if i'm right about those 12" speakers that's really cool.

passive radiators are not speakers! they are holes(ports), with a flat speaker looking cover. they may increase the bottom-end somewhat, but they are passive, i.e. no power used. they make use of the air movement inside the cab. many stereo speakers of the 80's used them. not so common now, for good reason. gimmick!