is padauk a goood wood for electric guitar bodies, ive looked at some information on it and it seems okay, i just wanted some peoples opinions on it who have actualy used a padauk guitar rather than the person trying to sell me the wood haha.

also any help on the weight and density of this wood is greatly appreciated, thanks .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
in what way is it better than purpleheart though ?
thanks for the link.
and the site im looking at sells it as a 2 peice, would that make a difference to the sound?
and how might i stick these pieces together ?

thanks for the help
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
It's better in terms of weight. Can't vouch for its resonance properties, though.
Rout the edges straight, then wood glue for at least 24h clamped.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
okay thanks for the help. i think ill go with the padauk, basically becuase of the weight, ill be primarily playing trash / death metal on this one anyways so not much of the wood feedback (or whatver its called), i'll use my les paul for mellower stuff.
i'm making an RG or JEM body from this by the way, does this sound an awful idea?

thanks.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
in what way is it better than purpleheart though ?
thanks for the link.
and the site im looking at sells it as a 2 peice, would that make a difference to the sound?
and how might i stick these pieces together ?

thanks for the help

it's probably already glued.

and gm_jack, routing is far from the best way to get a straight line.

and yes, it should do fine for that.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
the email i got back said "The 2pc bodies are 21" x 8" x 2" x2pc." so i guess ill have to glue them,
which glue would be best for this ?

also i thought of a weight saving thing to do, as im not too keen on the monkey grip on the front of a JEM but i think the grip is a good idea.
i will cut out the shape of the grip from the back but not going all the way through, if that makes sense.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
you could also thickness the body down, chamber it a bunch, and add a decorative top.

and i already said, most two piece bodies are already glued.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
theyre seperate peices hence the "x2pc" from the email, its not a problem though.
anyway the body width for the body i am doing is roughly 1.57 inches thick so theres almost a quarter of the width gone ,
but i could chamber it and make a top with the remaining piece of wood left from when i cut the 2" down to 1'5.
.5 of an inch should be thick enough for a top am i right ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
you could do a top with as little as 1/8 of an inch. a carved top, though, would need closer to a half.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
yes thanks for the idea about chambering it, thats probably the best peice of advice anyone has given me on making this body.

i'm going to order the wood tomorow, and ill keep posting what ive done.
could take me a while though as i dont have a router so i will have to do all of the chambering with a chisel (pffft).

like i said ill keep checking back for peoples opinions on what i may or may not do to this guitar.

thanks to everyone thats given me help, its been appriciated alot .
i love this forum haha
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
right im ordering my wood first thing in the morning, and ive just been told i can get my hands on a router. oh yess, this is finaly getting moving
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
you should make it semi-hollow body!
Save a drum, Bang a drummer!

Quote by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.

Quote by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.