Looking into getting a laptop/notebook of my own soon.
Looking for something mainly for image editing (The Gimp), watching/burning music & DVDs. Some gaming is a possibility, but I dunno if I will be playing high end games - and anyway I don't have a graphics fetish so turning off some of the fancier effects is certainly no biggy.
I dunno if I would prefer a Mac or Windows based pc, but there is a that I will be straying into the land of Linux - at least for experimental reasons.
I'll use it for college/uni too I suppose...
I have the money now but I have a year to go before college/uni so I might hold off. The money isn't going anywhere, I earned it myself - I have a job.
So a) should i hold out and b) reccommend some good'uns

BTW I need:
Ethernet Adaptor (for broadband)
Wireless card (not too important, i dont mind getting a dongle or pci card)
USB 2.0 ports, at least 3 of them
Sturdy design

Looks and weight are not dealbreakers, they are mere whims IMHO
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
an Acer Aspire... 5100 will do you perfectly, and the models above that , but when you get much higher , they start getting all the fancy stuff you said you dont really care about.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Last edited by RaNdoM-FeLiX at Jul 3, 2007,
Macbook pro

I bought one and it's teh best thing i've ever had. Tons of power and features. I'd reccomend a mac to anyone.
www.ebaumsworld.com

check out garrison acoustic guitars
If you don't want a mac you can also go check out Sony vahios. I don't like them but I won't deny the fact that they are good.
Macbook if you've got the money Pro.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
price range? i bought a mac book and i regret it now, i shoulda got the mac book pro (thats just personal tho) but ti's still an amazing computer, get a macbook or macbook pro because since you said you wont game it's obviously perfect for you, and if you do game you can instal bootcamp and partition your hardrive and run windows on it aswell
macbook http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=2F15A1DE&node=home/macbook/macbook
macbook pro http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=74284FCC&node=home/macbook/macbook_pro

NOTE: macbooks are notebooks, not laptops, they get pretty hot (not everheating hot tho)
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Well you could get a top of the line MacBook and save some money and the MacBook Pro is a bit more expensive for the bottom of the line model. I would get the MacBook and get another Gb of ram. You can dual-boot so you could have Windows and Mac as well.
I have the cheapest Macbook pro......it's still an unbelieveable computer. It's top of the line im0.
www.ebaumsworld.com

check out garrison acoustic guitars
The Toshiba T156 A215-S4747 is 630 USD, and has more then everything your looking for. I'm actually planing on getting one.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Buy a Mac because if you happen to hate using OS X, then it's OK because one can simply install Windows XP or Vista instead.
here we go again, there are like 50 of these threads and they all end up being the same thing...

Mac users making stupid claims, open source fanboys being emo, and Windows users saying stfu.

You want laptop advice? Find 5-10 in your price range, read reviews, figure out what works best. Stick with major names, read several reviews and remember what you pay is what you get. People here are gonna mostly make idiotic claims for whatever they use (Windows, Linux, OS X)
HP has a lot of good deals, and their customer service is awesome.

i have an HP pavilion, and i love it. i had a problem with the hard drive, and HP sent me a new one in like 2 days. they come with a 1 year warranty that covers pretty much anything except for damage you cause from dropping it or something.
Quote by LordSephiroth
here we go again, there are like 50 of these threads and they all end up being the same thing...

Mac users making stupid claims, open source fanboys being emo, and Windows users saying stfu.

You want laptop advice? Find 5-10 in your price range, read reviews, figure out what works best. Stick with major names, read several reviews and remember what you pay is what you get. People here are gonna mostly make idiotic claims for whatever they use (Windows, Linux, OS X)

terribly true... especially macboys....
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.