Hey, as I was cleaning my LP I found these etches around the frets. I haven't really looked that hard since I bought it and the guitar shop was dark so I must have missed them. The guitar still plays fine and I'm very happy with it. I'm just a little concerned. Have I been ripped off or is this usual for this type of guitar. Its a 2004 Gibson Les Paul standard with a 60's style rose wood neck. It has a serial number on the back and came with all of the usual bits and pieces ( hard case etc ) so I doubt its a fake. I clean it with dunlop lemon oil every other time I change the strings. Well anyway, I have tried to post photos but it says they are to large. If photos would help, please tell me how to post them and I will.

Thanks!!
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania
You can, but you have to sit at the kids' table for dinner.

Gibson LP + Orange Rocker 30
f i understand you correctly... i think t might just be fret ware from the strings... pretty normal... when it gets too bad you have to get new frets ...no biggie
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
probably a little fret wear, but pics would help to be more specific...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
The problem is that its not in the centre of the fret, its where the metal has been attached to the rosewood fingerboard. It looks as though the fret has chipped the wood. On all of my other guitars the wood touches the metal fret nice and cleanly but here it looks chipped or damaged. As I said with the pics, I tried but apparently they were too big, if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks for all your help, I just wanna find out about it.
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania

upload pics on photobucket.com or somewhere else and put links here or simply resize the pics (in paint?)...
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Cool, ok, i've got flickr...I didn't think of that! woops. I'll post some on as soon as possible. Cheers! Watch this space.
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

hmm don't know. I only use a tiny amount of the oil. Just enough to shift the crap. I'm just wondering if i've been ripped off.
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

c'mon, Someone must have seen these kind of things before?
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

They're tiny friggin' marks. Does it play ok? Does it sound ok? Does stay in tune?

If the answers are yes, there's nothing wrong with it.

Stop being a cry baby and start playing. It's a Gibson for cryin' out loud!

EDIT: Anyone catch the rock reference?
Did you buy your gibson new or used? And if new, where did you buy it from and for how much?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Thanks dartdevil. I suppose your right! It plays ok and stays in tune. I just don't want to get 10 years down the line and find that the fingerboard falls appart, .

I bought it new from my local guitar shop. I payed a little under the retail price, i've bought all of my guitars from there. They have always been good to me and my friends so I don't think they'd do any of us over.
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

Hmmm, i was thinking if it was used, the previous owner could of done a half-ass job of replacing the frets, but since its new i guess not. I really doubt to think its fake, maybe quality control just missed when leaving the factory. But if it plays fine and stays in tune and doesnt affect the tone, i would worry about nothing.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Cool thanks for the advice. I just needed a reassuring slap! Thanks
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania

looks like the frets may have been pressed in a bit to hard when it was built, causing the rough texture around the frets. the next time you re-string and clean the board, really look at the frets and make sure they are all in fact stable and can't be wiggled. if the frets are un-stable , this is a repair that gibson will need to do as the fingerboard will need to be replaced.
Looks like the frets have been replaced. Maybe it is not brand new. Shops sometimes lie, you know... Their bottom line is making as much money as possible - profit. Can you contact Gibson and get some info from them: when it was made and what might cause the fretboard marks in your photos? I'd be highly suspicious if I were you since I do not think that manufacture would cause that. Never mind that it plays okay etc that's not enough - it should be value for money aswell and used a for a new price is not. Good luck.
Suhr Rasmus S-100
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster Classic Player 60s
Fender Telecaster Baja
PRS Tremonti SE
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Yamaha LL6 Acoustic
Blackstar HT1R
Boss GT-10
Digitech Jamman
The fret may have been a little high and someone pounded it in a little bit too much. I have done this on cheap guitars but I sure would not do it on yours. Like someone else said if the frets are tight and even don't "fret" about it.
Oh yeah sorry about the state of the frets. I've been away, (Gap year travels) and I did play it allot before I left, woops! I don't think its second hand because I've checked out the S/N and it was made like 2 months before I bought it, and I live in the UK so it has to be shipped. I've checked the frets and they are hard in there, they aint movin'. It stays in tune fine. Sounds like a Gibson and plays like a Gibson. I know I shouldn't mind but I was just wondering if anyone had seen it before. Thanks for all the replies!
Quote by Metal_Injection

Quote by slatsmania