So I have this really small friend of mine, who is a girl, and her dad wants her to take self-defense classes. I told her to look into some martial arts instead, maybe some Aikido or Hapkido. Personally, I study Tae Kwon Do, but I don't think it's a great defensive martial art. I think it's more of a contact martial art.

My question is, what do you recommend as the best self-defense martial art?
Originally posted by TheBaron
I'm thinking you've got a beard...

Originally posted by Thornography
Okay well I want whiter teeth... and I would like to know if rubbing sandpaper on your teeth is safe or not.
ninjitsu
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Brazilian jiu jitsu or any of the new MMA styles that are popping up.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm not so sure about Ninjutsu because of how long you have to study and train for you to even have some concepts down. It would probably be too much for her. Hapkido, on the other hand, seems more practical.

Okay well I want whiter teeth... and I would like to know if rubbing sandpaper on your teeth is safe or not.
you could invest in some pokemon.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Buy her a taser... or a rottweiler... or a rottweiler with a taser in it's mouth!

Quote by rabidguitarist

That's actually not a bad idea; but you have to be a pokemon trainer for so long before you can do some harm. Plus there are so many evil pokemon teams out there that try to steal your pokemons.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Jiu Jitsu is great against traditional street fighting,stuff like karate and tae kwon do is crap unless you come across a gang of blackbelt thugs lol.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by rabidguitarist

lol. I suggest that she just gets a knife or pepper spray or something of that nature.
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Tell her just to play Mortal Combat she will eventually learn to obliterate anyone that attacks her.
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan"

-Ron
Quote by Kensai
Buy her a taser... or a rottweiler... or a rottweiler with a taser in it's mouth!

That's actually not a bad idea; but you have to be a pokemon trainer for so long before you can do some harm. Plus there are so many evil pokemon teams out there that try to steal your pokemons.

Why not sharks with freakin laser beams attatched to their foreheads?!?!
Quote by Kensai

We all have to start somewhere though. Before you know it she will have the best pokemon of them all. That's right, I'm talking bout Snorlax.
Aikido, or that Pancake Silat thing that the army's in the middle east do. that stuffs awesome..
New Demos (Oct. 11)

Dropoutoflifewithbonginhand
followthesmoke
towardtherifffilledland

Gear:
Vantage Mystery model Electric Guitar
Peavy TNT 115 Mid 80's model USA
Russian Big Muff
Ibanez 5 string
Quote by incockgnito
Go Krav Maga! After few lessons, my girlfriend know how to kill 7 foot tall guy with a toothpick! They learn real street fighting, not "street fighting with rules, sparing partners, kimonos, matts etc" like aikido, karate and stuff...

+1

Its scarily effective.
Just get her to 'study' The Matrix repeatedly. Soon she'll be jumping off walls and flying around in general. Bu yeah, pepper spray's good too. Or a swift kick in the nuts ^_^
ohai little sig.
Hapkido is really good for people of a smaller build, you learn great holds and throws. Tai chi is really good too, pretty when done at proper speeds pretty much every move is a kill. ive studied isshinryu, tai kwan do, tang so do, tai chi, ect...
Quote by munit
Why not sharks with freakin laser beams attatched to their foreheads?!?!

Well mostly because sharks can't walk on land.

Yet...

Quote by Masamune
We all have to start somewhere though. Before you know it she will have the best pokemon of them all. That's right, I'm talking bout Snorlax.

Oh yeah I can imagine that:

Little girl: You grunts don't scare me! Snorlax, I choose you!
Snorlax: ZzzZzzz...
Grunts: Ok. Butterfly knife, I choose you!
Little girl: Crap...
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The Specnaz Systema is amazing,the russian army use it.
If there was a systema class near me,i would go,it is a great form of self defence.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Wu Style Tai Chi
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'
PM redh0tchilip3pp or rizo299 to Join

Co-Founder of the 'Magikarp was blatantly the best Pokemon' Club
PM me to join
Quote by andyd93
The Specnaz Systema is amazing,the russian army use it.
If there was a systema class near me,i would go,it is a great form of self defence.

The unfortunate part of Systema is that there is a lack of instructors.
Just tell her to carry a .44 magnum and a switchblade in her sock.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Leave the art of the Gunkata like they use on Equilibrium *BANG BANG! WOO DUDE THIS IS COOL!*.

I find soiling myself gets rid of most aggressors too.
For a serious, answer, without a doubt Krav Maga. Sam Fisher uses it, so it must be good. I also agree with the taser rottweiler.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
As much as Pokemon and magnums sound appealing, I will have her look into some Krav Maga and Hapkido, as both sound like excellent arts to learn for self-defense, and seem to fit her quite well.
Thanks for all the help, I would have never remembered Krav Maga.

Quote by aliceinnirvana
As much as Pokemon and magnums sound appealing, I will have her look into some Krav Maga and Hapkido.

But what if Team Rocket attack?
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'
PM redh0tchilip3pp or rizo299 to Join

Co-Founder of the 'Magikarp was blatantly the best Pokemon' Club
PM me to join
did anyone know that troy was brought down by an army of sharks in wheelbarrows?

It was a very clever concept, in my opinion.

they actually tamed and harnessed the raw killing power of the great white shark, and then mobilised it with the wheelbarrow.

I reckon you should be able to copy them, but perhaps on a smaller scale.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by Dirk Gently
Brazilian jiu jitsu or any of the new MMA styles that are popping up.

+1
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Well mostly because sharks can't walk on land.

Yet...

If you can put a lazer beam on a sharks head, I'm sure you can make it walk and breathe air too.
Krav Maga is what she needs. Show her some videos. It's like dirty fighting.
No weird jumps and turns. Just the efficient and good ol' kicks to the nuts, punches to the throat, low kicks and that stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ajaQ2j0Al0 (very good publicity video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKjpdWyYMc

For self defense, I can't think about something better. Kick and to the point.
Also, it's used by the Israeli Army
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jul 3, 2007,
US National Guard style Jiu Jitsue or w/e
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Muay thai.

It's thai kickboxing and it's probaly one of the most practical kinds of martial arts.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...