Whenever I play a powerchord involving the low E it always sounds dark and really bad. How do I make it sound better? I don't think it's the strings or my finger placement. I know this has been done before, but I couldn't find the thread.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
your pickups probably can't handle the E string or your amp is probably just set up badly for the bass strings.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
your pickups probably can't handle the E string or your amp is probably just set up badly for the bass strings.

I've even tried putting the amp on full treble, zero mid, zero bass... doesn't work. And what I didn't mention is that the chords are distorted. Otherwise it's fine. And my pickups are pretty good.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Stentroll
I've even tried putting the amp on full treble, zero mid, zero bass... doesn't work. And what I didn't mention is that the chords are distorted. Otherwise it's fine. And my pickups are pretty good.

Well that's probably the worst amp setting ever...

Try Bass:6
Mid:3
Trebble:8
Presence:8
pick lighter.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Is the bass pole piece too close to the E string?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Is it tuned?
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
Quote by Freddedonna

I agree. Try it with more defined settings. And each guitar will require a different EQ setup.

If the sound is distorting it probably means your amp isn't setup properly.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by hawk_kst
probably whats happened is your strings are to close to the pickups making the string sounds horrible, try raising the bridge if at all possible, another possibility is that the strings arent tight enough, are you playing in normal tuning or down tuned?

You'd probably want to lower the pickup instead of raising the bridge .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Freddedonna

Helped quite a bit, but it still sounds pretty dark. Maybe it's the tuning? It's standard right now.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Well, the guys at the store offered to setup the guitar in a couple of months. Maybe I can ask them to do it, cause I don't know how to lower my pickups and such yet.

Edit: I'm using distortion, the clean channel is good.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Stentroll
Well, the guys at the store offered to setup the guitar in a couple of months. Maybe I can ask them to do it, cause I don't know how to lower my pickups and such yet.

You can do it yourself if you qualify for the following conditions:

A) You have a hand.

B) You have a wrist.

C) You have a screwdriver.

D) You have a brain that can tell your hand to hold the screwdriver and can tell your wrist to turn and screw in screws.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
You can do it yourself if you qualify for the following conditions:

A) You have a hand.

B) You have a wrist.

C) You have a screwdriver.

D) You have a brain that can tell your hand to hold the screwdriver and can tell your wrist to turn and screw in screws.

I might need a better description . I could probably do it myself, if it's not too hard.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
I lowered them quite a bit, but it didn't help so much. At all actually.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Actually, I've had this same exact problem on my friend's Gibson. We found out it was because the low e string was of a different variety of strings vs the other strings. A simple string change of all of your strings might do the trick .
I was thinking that too. I might take the guitar in for service a bit earlier and get some new strings. I can't adjust my bridge or the pickup pole pieces. Screws sit too damn tight! lol.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
see the screw next to the pickup on the bass side? turn that some direction so it lowers. it's not complicated.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
see the screw next to the pickup on the bass side? turn that some direction so it lowers. it's not complicated.

I thought I said I had already lowered the pickup with no results?
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
hmm...that sucks.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by Stentroll
Whenever I play a powerchord involving the low E it always sounds dark and really bad. How do I make it sound better? I don't think it's the strings or my finger placement. I know this has been done before, but I couldn't find the thread.
Your amp perhaps? It is a verified box of s-hite.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Your amp perhaps? It is a verified box of s-hite.

The other strings sound good, and I can't do much about my amp now, can I? I just bought it.

Edit: Can't be the strings either. I bought the guitar like 3 weeks ago. Maybe it's supposed to sound like this?
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Last edited by Stentroll at Jul 3, 2007,
Quote by Guitarislife125
"Line 6 Spider III 30w amp"

The other strings sound good, I can't do anything about my amp. I've already said this.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Stentroll
The other strings sound good, I can't do anything about my amp. I've already said this.

Just because the other strings sound better doesn't mean ****. Your low E is probably sounding muddy because:

A. Bad pickups/pickup placement
B. Muddy amp
C. Bad strings.
Quote by Guitarislife125
Just because the other strings sound better doesn't mean ****. Your low E is probably sounding muddy because:

A. Bad pickups/pickup placement
B. Muddy amp
C. Bad strings.

The pickups are Seymour Duncans. Good quality pickups that is. The strings are new and even if the amp is the problem, there's nothing I can do about anyway.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
those are the strings that came with the guitar?

swap them, go with a lighter gauge or coated string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
those are the strings that came with the guitar?

swap them, go with a lighter gauge or coated string.

Yes, they came with the guitar. They are probably a couple of months old too, seeing as how the guitar was lying in the store for a while until I bought it two weeks ago.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
yep. one of the first things i usually do is swap out the stock strings.

swap one at a time, stabilize the trem first and u dont need to wait for a tech to do it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
yep. one of the first things i usually do is swap out the stock strings.

swap one at a time, stabilize the trem first and u dont need to wait for a tech to do it.

Well, I don't know how to change strings and my guitar is a string through . I will probably take it to the guitar store in a few days anyway. They offered to set it up, new strings and all within three months.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
ok well just so u know, u unravel a string at the tuner, clip off the bent end and run the clean edge, backwards towards the bridge and out the back of the guitar.

to string it, u feed it thru the back and up over the saddle, to the headstock and wrap it around the tuner.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62