so i like playing Carlos Santana stuff and playing his songs requires a lot of bending and pulling and slidding and whatever. anyways my fingers are really messing up and hurting and peeling. is there any sort of finger protection for guitar playing?
hehe or you can shove a condom on your penis and play slide guitar...
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
you should build calluses(sp) if you play enough, thats what happened to me.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
There called calluses. Deal with the pain untill you build em up
“I used to be made fun of because I’d stay alone at home on weekends and play the guitar, but once I got good on the guitar, I got all the pussy I wanted"-EVH

Schcter C-1 Classic - Emg 81/85 @ 18 Volts
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 POD XT Live
work on it, you'll build up callouses over time.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by mattwebb
Well You Said It, Shove A Condom On Your Fingers And See If It Works

Is Your CapsLock Stuck The Way That It Capitalises Every Single First Letter?

Try dipping you fingers in salty water after you play. I've heard that it helps build up callouses.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
superglue the tips of ur fingers if u rly cant stand the pain, or jst brave it out an stop bein a pussy.
Quote by Perfekte
superglue the tips of ur fingers if u rly cant stand the pain, or jst brave it out an stop bein a pussy.

How about you stop being an asshole?
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Quote by binjajer
Is Your CapsLock Stuck The Way That It Capitalises Every Single First Letter?

Try dipping you fingers in salty water after you play. I've heard that it helps.

Funny.

AT LEAST IT IS BETTER THAN THE CAPITALLY CHALLENEGED WHO ALWAYS TYPE LIKE THIS AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON ON THEIR KEYBOARD, THEN EVERYTHING THEY SAY LOOKS LIKE SHOUTING.

If You Caps Lock Your Whole Post It Changes It To Something More Annoying, Actually.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
soak your fingers in rubbing alcohol. I think thats what eric clapton did. idk tho. try it!
Quote by tubab0y
If You Caps Lock Your Whole Post It Changes It To Something More Annoying, Actually.

welL saiD, mY frienD.
Quote by bakk
Hi,

Also making sure you don't play with wet/damp fingers too. If they're wet they will soften up faster and start hurting quicker and the skin will peel off easier.

I like to rest my fingertips on the toaster at work when I'm standing around. Seems to help keep the callouses hardened up.

You could go the extreme route of burning the **** out of them and they will scar up.. but you won't be able to play for ages.. And you probably won't have any feeling left in them.. Mabye it's not such a good idea afterall..
Doesn't peeing on your hands develop calluses? Seriously. haha.

But anyways, keep playing until you don't notice the pain anymore. It does really suck at first and can distract you from progress but it gets much better.

And no I don't pee on my hands.
Playing more paintball and reading more books than playing guitar lately.
You know your a guitar player when...

Quote by TheDev01dOne
I like to rest my fingertips on the toaster at work when I'm standing around. Seems to help keep the callouses hardened up.

Thats a slightly disturbing image! Even more so for the people eating toast at work :S

But yeah, just put up with the pain for a couple of weeks. Im going through the same thing now but with my pinky finger. Started using that more often, its all soft and virgin like
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Quote by Deviant1853
You know your a guitar player when...

Thats a slightly disturbing image! Even more so for the people eating toast at work :S

But yeah, just put up with the pain for a couple of weeks. Im going through the same thing now but with my pinky finger. Started using that more often, its all soft and virgin like

Hey that would make a good thread.

The sacrifices we make for our art. (or noise. )
Quote by HollyW07
Hey that would make a good thread.

The sacrifices we make for our art. (or noise. )

i'm pretty sure it was a thread.... also, pretty much what everyone is saying, build up callusese unless the pain is unbearable, then there may be soem alternate solution out there.....maybe masking tape on your fingers?
Quote by JunctionP
Doesn't peeing on your hands develop calluses? Seriously. haha.

But anyways, keep playing until you don't notice the pain anymore. It does really suck at first and can distract you from progress but it gets much better.

And no I don't pee on my hands.

lol, yeah it does, some baseball players have done it to toughen their hands.

anyways, to the thread starter, you can try to friction burn your finger tips by rubbing them really fast back and forth on your jeans or something. if you keep playing though you will get those nice smooth calluses. you could also pick up rock climbing as a hobby, great exercise and toughens the whole hand
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
Quote by Perfekte
superglue the tips of ur fingers

Haha I used to do that.

It's very useful if you have a performance and don't want anything holding you back (i.e. blood)

but even when you've been playing for years and you've got callouses everywhere, they never stay in the same place cause I'm always playing different styles and you get used to the fact that if you're gonna be good at guitar, it's gonna hurt.