I've been playing for about 2 years now, and most of my friends have been playing for 4-6 years, so I never have anyone to compare my skill level to. I was wondering how fast other people can play as well. Please post how many years you've been playing and how many BPM you can play 16ths at. I'm just looking for a general comparison. I know playing up and down a scale and playing actually melodies have huge skill differences.
3 years, 16ths at 220.

As far as playing anything intelligable, I'm comfortable at about 180 (that "chromatic playground" excercise on Rock Discipline is great for it.)
Quote by madmk
16ths at 168bpm, 11.2nps but speed is nothing.

How long have you been playing?
Been playing 3 years, and can play as fast or slow as I need to.

I've never taken the time to actually count how many nps I can play, because let's face it, it's not important. As long as what you're playing expresses and idea, and fits the song, that's all that matters.
16th notes at 120 I think, been playing for 3 years. Yes I know, I suck
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by yawn
Approximately 6.02 x 10^23 notes per second.

are you into chemistry, that number is for molecular formulas
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

"Arguing online is like racing in the Special Olympics- Even if
you win you're still retarded."

"You cant spell crap without rap"
well... I guess I can make it up to 150or a bit controlled but then it get out of hand real quickly... 3 years kinda...
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by yawn

mole!

and 13 or 14 nps, not exactly sure how to subdivide. 2 years, by the way.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by CowboyUp
3 years, 16ths at 220.

As far as playing anything intelligable, I'm comfortable at about 180 (that "chromatic playground" excercise on Rock Discipline is great for it.)

Bull****. You can play something like Far beyond the Sun at 220? Mate, if that was 3 years of practise, you'd be ****ing famous.

I would say "pics or it didnt happen" but kind of defeats the point seeing as firstly pics would not justify your speed and secondly this is not the pit.

As for me, 3 years practise as well, but I can do 16ths at about 140-150 consistently, on a good day around 160.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
Bull****. You can play something like Far beyond the Sun at 220? Mate, if that was 3 years of practise, you'd be ****ing famous.

I would say "pics or it didnt happen" but kind of defeats the point seeing as firstly pics would not justify your speed and secondly this is not the pit.

As for me, 3 years practise as well, but I can do 16ths at about 140-150 consistently, on a good day around 160.

By "playing 16th's at 220", I meant alternate picking the open E string up to tempo with a metronome. It really isn't that hard to do that fast.

And as I said, as far as intelligible things, I can play around 180. Theres also the whole issue of having to be able to write music in order to be famous.

Nobodies yelling at you, you have no reason to go off on me.
Quote by yawn

You suck!!

i can hit 1.60 x 10^-19 nps with both hands behind my back..

erm...

but yer, a couple of years ago when i was into building my chops, i was hitting legato sextuplets at 190, which is like...err 19nps...

but now im nowhere near that, im beyond the whole play as fast you can...i can play as fast as i ever need to..and thats enough for me

ive bin playin about 6 years now
Quote by CowboyUp
3 years, 16ths at 220.

I hate that exercise but, I love the book. Guess I'm not patient. I can play the rhythm to through the fire and flames easily and its 16th at 200bpm. i know i can go faster though
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
been playing for about a year and 3/4 lol can play open E 16ths at around 240
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by Nemesis260
I hate that exercise but, I love the book. Guess I'm not patient. I can play the rhythm to through the fire and flames easily and its 16th at 200bpm. i know i can go faster though

Yeah, I play that sometimes to :p

I don't like the song of Dragonforce much, but I tried learning alot of the more "impossible" licks from the solos and the experience helped me out alot.
Usually if i want to learn something "insane" i just pick short licks from the greats but i rarely do that so i just improvise over a few keys. Oh yeah i've been playing a year and a half but i practice ALOT
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Last edited by Nemesis260 at Jul 3, 2007,
16ths at 160. Im comfortable at 120 though. I can play a really fast lick though (16ths at 208) but thats only one lick.

Quote by CowboyUp
By "playing 16th's at 220", I meant alternate picking the open E string up to tempo with a metronome. It really isn't that hard to do that fast.

And as I said, as far as intelligible things, I can play around 180. Theres also the whole issue of having to be able to write music in order to be famous.

Nobodies yelling at you, you have no reason to go off on me.

Ohhh open E... yeah like... 16ths at 208
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I dunno, I hardly play fast, though doing I can do sixtuplets at 76 with imimim in a scale. I hit eighty playing open E.

EDIT: Been playing the classical guitar for 2 years, though the first year I ****ed around and only learned one pieace. So more like 1 year of heavy practicing.
Last edited by confusius at Jul 3, 2007,
jeez i have no clue.... approx 10 nps cleanly after i've warmed up good.... i question how many of these "13 - 14 nps" statements are cleanly though, especially after only a couple years of playing. thats just me though, i play pretty friggin quick and i don't really need to go much faster than what im doing know. of course i'll keep going b/c like i say its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. but really though, 16th @ 220? that would totally lose note definition.... it's essentially 32nd notes @ 110 bpm and i'm not really buying that. i question if some of the world famous shredders out there can go that fast.
Quote by z4twenny
jeez i have no clue.... approx 10 nps cleanly after i've warmed up good.... i question how many of these "13 - 14 nps" statements are cleanly though, especially after only a couple years of playing. thats just me though, i play pretty friggin quick and i don't really need to go much faster than what im doing know. of course i'll keep going b/c like i say its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. but really though, 16th @ 220? that would totally lose note definition.... it's essentially 32nd notes @ 110 bpm and i'm not really buying that. i question if some of the world famous shredders out there can go that fast.

We're talking about trem. picking on an open E. Its not that difficult.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??