Firstly, I don't know where this thread should be, i posted it here as it is bass related, but i dont know if the guitar gear forum is also bass related, so forgive me if it is in the wrong area.

Right, I play bass in a band, and we have all just left school, for the past few months we've been going, I've been using my school's gear for our gigs, but as we have left, they are no longer happy to lend us stuff.

So basically, i need a bass, and a bass amp.

Ive been looking at the fender jazz bass, and its ideal for me, as i have played one in the past, and it's been ideal for me.
But it is pretty expensive, i have a job but even with my wages i will not be able to afford that anytime soon.
Is the squier jazz bass a good alternative? or is there an even better alternative?
i will be able to get the fender jazz if it's really THAT much better.

Now, the amp i can purchase later on, as i already have a low wattage amp which will suffice for band practises, but i need something bigger for gigs. does anyone have any suggestions? ive played on various laney bass amps, and they seem to be good prices also.

thanks for any help!
fender rumble series spring to mind, theyre popular, but i havent played one...

my behringer is seriously crap btw
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Depends on which squier you get--I don't think a Squier Standard Jazz would be too bad, costs around 250.
As for an amp, I'm looking into an Ashdown MAG 300/210 combo, $550. There are cheaper amps if you dont want a 2x10 amp, Peavey and Fender have some decent 1x25 models.
Squier have seriously improved their quality control as of late... always, ALWAYS try before you buy, though. Make sure you get a good model. Good alternatives are available in the form of Yamaha, Peavey etc.

Also consider flicking through the Ad-Mag or the pre-owned racks in music stores and see if anyone is flogging Fender Jazz's for cheap. Fenders are flooding the market where I am at the minute, see Standards (Mexican built) going for a couple of hundred.

As for amps, Laney, Laney, Laney. I'm one of the only ones that sings their praises on this forum, but their RB line are bang on the money. Cheap, good quality, and they cover the range from about 30w to 300w. They're my amp of choice (I run a 300w/1x15 combo & usually with a 4x10 extension cab), but I've tried out all the range and they all do their intended job without fail.

Ashdown are good, and it looks like you're in the UK, so they should be fairly easily available compared to the US. The Electric Blue budget series are damn fine, was on the verge of buying a 2x10 cab and head pairing a while back, until I settled for Laney. The MAG combo's are outstanding if you can get 'em, too. Gigged with those and Trace Elliott stuff a few times.

What is your budget, though? I'm sure if you give us a ceiling figure we'll be able to put some ideas together and help you out better.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I have had pretty good experence with the rumbles.

And for basses look at Made in Mexico stuff, it's a step above the Squires, and not too expensive.
Quote by Caustic
Squier have seriously improved their quality control as of late... always, ALWAYS try before you buy, though. Make sure you get a good model. Good alternatives are available in the form of Yamaha, Peavey etc.

Also consider flicking through the Ad-Mag or the pre-owned racks in music stores and see if anyone is flogging Fender Jazz's for cheap. Fenders are flooding the market where I am at the minute, see Standards (Mexican built) going for a couple of hundred.

As for amps, Laney, Laney, Laney. I'm one of the only ones that sings their praises on this forum, but their RB line are bang on the money. Cheap, good quality, and they cover the range from about 30w to 300w. They're my amp of choice (I run a 300w/1x15 combo & usually with a 4x10 extension cab), but I've tried out all the range and they all do their intended job without fail.

Ashdown are good, and it looks like you're in the UK, so they should be fairly easily available compared to the US. The Electric Blue budget series are damn fine, was on the verge of buying a 2x10 cab and head pairing a while back, until I settled for Laney. The MAG combo's are outstanding if you can get 'em, too. Gigged with those and Trace Elliott stuff a few times.

What is your budget, though? I'm sure if you give us a ceiling figure we'll be able to put some ideas together and help you out better.

cheers for that!

my budget overall is about £300 stretching to £400. I'm ordering the amp off GAK education, as my school use it, and ive ordered amps off there before with no problems. As for the bass guitar, I am going to search in my area.