So like the title says...

Compressor
chorus
equalizer(and how do you use it)
whats the difference between a overdrive and distortion
what exactly is an effects loop

Really sorry for the noob questions. Thanks.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
overdrive and distortion are similar but have diffrent applications im sure theres tons of other threads on it.
chorus-cant remember off the top of my head, i have to go play it
EQ-changes the bass mid treble and others
loops loop your effects automaticly
compresser adds sustain
Chorus is a time effect, in essence it copies the sound wave and plays it very slightly behind the original wave and allows for a sound of more then one instrument playing. Symphonies get large numbers of violin players counting on someone to be slightly behind to create a natural chorus.
Chorus just makes it sound like theres multiple guitars playing the part, similar to how a "chorus" of singers are multiple singers singing the same part (supposed to give it a "fuller" sound, but I don't really like chorus effects for pedals)
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by fat=skinny+food
overdrive and distortion are similar but have diffrent applications im sure theres tons of other threads on it.
chorus-cant remember off the top of my head, i have to go play it
EQ-changes the bass mid treble and others
loops loop your effects automaticly
compresser adds sustain

The answers have already been given above now, so I'll just point out a few things.
An effects loop isn't an 'automatic looping of your effects'.
An effects loop puts all your pedals after the preamp but before the power amp section of your amp. In essence reducing the operating noise created by the pedals. It can also alter the sound, as phaser after the preamp can have a different tone to phaser before the preamp, especially if you are using the amp's own distortion.

Compressor actually reduces the difference in volume created by attacking the strings at different levels and it makes the strings sound at more similar volume levels. Sustain is only a byproduct of this, which has become a famed positive reason for using a compressor.
Last edited by last_biscuit at Jul 3, 2007,
^O,o "loops your effects automatically" ?

OD is soft clipping, and it's smoother than distortion, think Sweet Child O' Mine intro.
Distortion is heavier and harsher.

Chorus basically takes what you play, aplits the signal in two, and detunes that signal a bit, and mixes it back into your signal. As a result, it sounds like a choir does when they all try to sing the same note. They get close, but not perfect. It adds another layer to the sound.

EQ pedals allow you to have more control of your sound. It's like giving you more knobs of EQ on your amp, as well as a total volume boost you can use for solos.

A Compressor "compresses" the dynamic range of your guitar. It makes the loud parts softer, and the quieter parts louder. This means you hear more of the signal before it dies out, so I guess it "adds" sustain, but it's really just making your soft signal louder.

An effects loop allows you to put your pedals after the preamp (EQ, distortion/od, etc). I usually put delay, reverb, noise suppressors there. For example, if you put the delay before an amp's preamp, in most cases it will sound muddy and undefined, because the delay will get distorted. If I put it after, I'll delay the distorted signal.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Thanks guys. much appreciated. I expected this to be a one post thread.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Quote by Pedalboard
Thanks guys. much appreciated. I expected this to be a one post thread.

It would have been if the guy who wrote the first response knew what he was talking about lol.
Quote by Pedalboard
So like the title says...

Compressor
chorus
equalizer(and how do you use it)
whats the difference between a overdrive and distortion
what exactly is an effects loop

Compressor makes your notes the same volume no matter how hard you pick.
Chorus kind of gives a "spaced out" sound with slight tremolo- try one in a shop, it's hard to explain.
EQ- just like the EQ on your amp, it controls the highs, mids and lows of your tone and adds/removes certain frequencies to your liking.
Overdrive is sort of mellow-er than distortion- you get OD when you crank a Valve amp. You can get aggressive OD as well though.
And an FX loop is where you have a "send" and "return" on your amp (can be labelled other things) and it is where you can put modulating effects (such as flange, delay and chorus e.t.c) inbetween the preamp and poweramp of your amplifier

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia