okay. im really thinking on buying a telecaster. i think i am seriously in love with them
but i want to know some things

-Whats the Tone like? (warm, bright, smooth?)
-Hows the natural Sustain
-What are cons on it. yes, every guitar has cons.
-would anything have to be changed (tuners, pickups, bridge)

thanks guys, and for any telecaster owners could you add my msn so i can ask you some stuff about it??? led_zeppelin13@msn.com

EDIT: im ganna be playing it through a Vox AC50CPH
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Last edited by lua4x at Jul 3, 2007,
change nothing if its a good one, tone is warm and twangy i dont know off the top of my head about the sustain
Quote by lua4x
...i think i am seriously in love with them
-Whats the Tone like? (warm, bright, smooth?)

what? if you are in love with them you should know what they sound like (or at least one of the ones you've played). you should just go out to a shop and play some.
there is almost no sustain, thats y its good for country chicken picking from what ive heard
the 72 RI are really nice and also japenses tele by fender from the eighties ive heard are amazing along wit greco and tokai
well i have played mex's and that but no americans, too afraid im ganna like drop it because they keep them really high up so ahah,
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
I love the way Tele's sound, I am sure I will be getting one either as my no.1 guitar, or backup for my ESP. either way, it will give me a different perspective. I love the Tele Deluxe guitars made in 70's. kinda hard to get them though.
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
1 - Most famously twangy, but can do warmer tones too
2 - Not that great TBH, but it has enough
3 - Cant think off of top of the head....un-contoured unlike the strat, so the corner/edge can dig in to your forearm when playing
4 - depends on what model you get, a MIM could do with a PUP/bridge/tuners change, but at the same time, its still pretty good without them changes, they are more like the icing on the cake imo.
Quote by Hakanku
3 - Cant think off of top of the head....un-contoured unlike the strat, so the corner/edge can dig in to your forearm when playing
4 - depends on what model you get, a MIM could do with a PUP/bridge/tuners change, but at the same time, its still pretty good without them changes, they are more like the icing on the cake imo.

nailed it.
+1
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Hakanku

I concur with most of what you said. My only complaint about mine is that I'd like a little more sustain without resorting to pedals.

As far as I know that means getting a different bridge and/or pickups.

But really? The Tele is a lovely guitar. To quote myself (haha, I'm such a dick), "With my American Standard, I can get the glorious raunchiness of the Sonics, the twisted jangle of the Velvet Underground, the overdriven snarl of the Stooges and the MC5, the icy jaggedness of Television, the roar of the Dead Boys, or the almost hollow growl of Sonic Youth and Fugazi. Of course, its reputation as a guitar well-suited to roots music (such as blues and country) allows it to shine in the realms of folk-punk and blues-punk, a la Against Me! or the White Stripes, respectively... Plus, you can trash it as much as you'll like, and it'll sound as good as new. You might get a few nicks and dents, but what's punk rock about a clean guitar? Nothing. Put a few stickers on it and it'll sound even better."

Someone had asked whether a Tele would be good for punk, which is why my examples are all sort of punkz0rz.

Hope that was helpful. I love my Tele to death, and I don't know what kind of music you play, but I bet it can make a respectable stab at it.
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm
Quote by rocknroll blues
I concur with most of what you said. My only complaint about mine is that I'd like a little more sustain without resorting to pedals.

As far as I know that means getting a different bridge and/or pickups.

1.what would a bridge do to the sustain, i thought that a fixed bridge has more sustain..

2. for pickups what about a hot rail in the neck and a cool rail in the bridge?? so it would be extremely versatile without cutting a huge hole in the bloody thing to fit a hum?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by lua4x
1.what would a bridge do to the sustain, i thought that a fixed bridge has more sustain..

2. for pickups what about a hot rail in the neck and a cool rail in the bridge?? so it would be extremely versatile without cutting a huge hole in the bloody thing to fit a hum?

I've been told that the bridges they used to use had more sustain, like this one. I don't know if that's true, or not, I've never tried a Tele with a vintage bridge like that, but that's what I'm told.

As far as pickups go, I don't really know a whole lot about Hot Rails and Cool Rails. I do know, however, that Lace pickups are wired in such a way as to increase sustain and eliminate hum altogether. Plus they sound damn good. I'd probably go with those if I ever get around to changing pickups, but I've got plenty of other purchases ahead of me before I get there.
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm