Money isn't a issue, so I would like to know what's a beginner head/cabnet, or for the seasoned pro.

I'm sort of partial to buying a nicer then beginner SWR head, and a subpar cabnet (not nothing too fancy, but preferebly bigger then 2 10's, if not it's ok). I figure if I get myself a nice SWR head, that will give me room to improve by buying another cabnet, or replacing the cabnet I pick up with a nice one.

Thank you guys in advance, and like I said money really isn't a issue, I am just sort of a newb on how the wattage rating on heads works in comparison to powering the cabnets... I always get confused with the RNS rating...and the ohms, it's just too much confusion.

Mainly the sound I will be using it for is technical/death metal, and funk.... I play alot of funk in my spare time, so I want the amp to allow me to "get my groove on", and it should be able to handle some nice distortion sounds, or any other odd ass synth sounds I happen to throw at it (also major downtuning CFBbEb or 2 whole steps down)... so getting a 15" sub is sort of out of the question.
Last edited by silentscream51 at Jul 3, 2007,
Quote by Norse_Iron_King
Marshall
Peavey
Mesa/Boogie
Orange
Randall

Any one of those names makes amps suitably for your sound

Orange makes bass heads/cabniets?

Mesa/Boogie is WAY too expensive from what I've seen and finding a retailer who sells it isn't the easiest.

It's also worth noting that I am located in the US.

I checked out Orange and realized that the pricing on that stuff is rediculous, and TBH I always kind of looked at Orange amps as like a joke... It's just too small/expensive.
Last edited by silentscream51 at Jul 3, 2007,
If you can get Eden or Mark Bass, they make excellent amps/cabs.

Dunno if you're in the US though.

Try Trace Elliot or Gallien-Krueger
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
If you can get Eden or Mark Bass, they make excellent amps/cabs.

Dunno if you're in the US though.

Try Trace Elliot or Gallien-Krueger

What Gallien-Krueger head/cabnet would make a good combo, in your opinion... Or any kind for that matter... I just don't know how the wattage works. I'm assuming if I bought a 400 watt capable head, and plugged it into a 400 watt cabnet it would run without a hitch, yet if I tried using it to power a 500 watt head it might cause some problems?
Oh yeah and how exactly does the bass amplifier power the cabnet... j/w, through the cords? (it's such a noob question but I guess we are were at once)
Look at Ampeg, GK, and MarkBass. I've been hearing really good things about MarkBass.

Whatever you buy though, make sure the ohms match up.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
Look at Ampeg, GK, and MarkBass. I've been hearing really good things about MarkBass.

Whatever you buy though, make sure the ohms match up.

ok so the ohms have to match up... I was thinking actually about buying this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-WorkingPro-2x10c-260-Watt-2x10-bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481995 and it says that you can power a seperate cabnet off of that... heres a quote "The WorkingPro 2X10C offers 260W of power at 8 ohms (400 watts with an 8-ohm extension cabinet)"

What kind of cabnet could I pair it up with... whats the max wattage the seperate cabnet could be?? 140W, or 400W? It's so confusing, and so the "extension" cabnet has to be 8-ohms or it will fry something I am assuming?
price doesn't matter? philjonesbass.com
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by silentscream51
It does to some extent.

still should check them out. if you get it, at least you have a conversation piece.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
still should check them out. if you get it, at least you have a conversation piece.

mmm...

Ok.. back to the current question I have "What kind of cabnet could I pair it up with... whats the max wattage the seperate cabnet could be?? 140W, or 400W? It's so confusing, and so the "extension" cabnet has to be 8-ohms or it will fry something I am assuming?"

Any takers to answer?

Thank you
Ampeg!

or Mesa Boogie both deliver if your willing to drop some cash it's just a "what ever floats your boat" kinda thing.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Ampeg SVT Classic and SVT-810E
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Ampeg SVT Classic and SVT-810E

nice... that's the kind of responce i've been looking for...

Anyone got any other suggestions that might be a little more portable, I'm not going to be going on big tours anytime soon.
Quote by silentscream51
Mainly the sound I will be using it for is technical/death metal, and funk.... I play alot of funk in my spare time, so I want the amp to allow me to "get my groove on", and it should be able to handle some nice distortion sounds, or any other odd ass synth sounds I happen to throw at it (also major downtuning CFBbEb or 2 whole steps down)... so getting a 15" sub is sort of out of the question.

Your last line states that getting a 15 is sort of out of the question. So do you or do you not play some droptunings? If yes, you probably want a 15 or 18 inch included.

Do you have a Guitar Center near you to try gear?

Where do you want to buy from?

I think the GK heads won't be what you are wanting for what you play and the cheaper SWR heads are not too great as with most cheaper heads from major bass amp companies.
From Guitar Center for a decent price,watts and tone the Peavey Tour 700 is good and under $600. Pair that with a cab that has 2x10 and 1x15 and you should be good for quite a while. You may want to slap some casters on the cab for mobility.
This is just from GC and there are a few other gems from other net companies such as Musicians Friend, Zzounds . Each place will have something different to offer that is good at a decent price. Most decent bass heads with good wattage and tone start at $700 or better, so you have to spend the bucks or find those few gems that bass players know about.

If you could be more specific on your gear budget and where you prefer to buy from, it will help us help you.
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
Last edited by Chromemoly at Jul 4, 2007,
OK, IM TALKING ABOUT STACK HERE, NO COMBOS OR ANYTHING, SINCE YOU SAY MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE!

gallien krueger - with like 1500$ you can get an EXCELLENT stack by them... those amps do anything you can possibly want...

orange - if you can afford them... theyre one of my fav sounds... vintage sounding actually.... not everyone likes them though for that same reason...

ampeg - bulletproof fat warm punchy, and yeah, you pay for the price... well worth it though...

mesa - even more bulletproof then ampeg... its much more expensive, amazing brightness, crunch, clarity.... even warmness, you can do anything you want with them..