I was just wondering what techniques people use to get some of that oh-so-sweet sound we commonly call "feedback." Obviously, volume is probably the most direct way, but how else do you guys and gals get there?

Kicking in a nice fuzz pedal can get the job done at lower volumes, I find. Or pushing a wah-wah pedal all the way down and leaving it there. Well, that's not necessarily feedback, but it still sounds nasty as all hell.

As a matter of fact, how do you cats and dogs out there get any other weird noises out of your instruments? I'm a fan of the ol' violin-bow across the strings, myself. Playing with drumsticks is also fun - to get some really wacky sounds, stick one under your strings and hit it with another. It'll probably knock you a bit out of tune, but that's also probably not something you're worried about if you're like me and stick drumsticks under your strings. Pulling a Hendrix and humping your amp with your guitar can get some nice shrieks, plus it looks funny. Playing "slide" with mic stands is always a good time, too.

Um, yeah. Anyone else? Cool tricks for cool sounds?

p.s. No snide remarks about "actually playing my instrument" or "scales" or any of that garbage.
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm
What about the Buckethead major 3rds three finger tapping thing?
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
What about playing on a fretless like bumblefoot? Slide pinch harmonics and fretless tapping? Supercool.

And wah pedals help with feedback.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
My bad. I searched "feedback" but I suppose that wasn't specific enough, or I just didn't look closely enough.

So, yeah, go to that thread.
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm