Hey everyone,

I will be getting a tube amp soon, but how will I know if the tubes need to be replaced, or if they need to be biased? I am completely new to tube amps and appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
if its a new amp you should be good

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I might buy it used though. If a guy says he hasn't replaced the tubes, how would I know if they even needed to be replaced?
i would just do it when you get it used...better for the amp

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I might be in the same situation. but unlike a lot of people, I don't have a part time job yet and can't afford to buy a used amo thats just in my price range and replace the tubes. How do you know if tubes need to be replaced? The amp i'm looking at is a 100 watt halfstack ands almost a year old.
From what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong) you'll probably notice when they're going down the tubes. They won't have as good of tone and might be quieter, also the main thing I've heard is that as they're dying they draw more power, thus if you experience a fuse going out while playing, and not running any extra electronics it would indicate that they're dying.

You only need to replace them every 1-3 years, obviously depending on how much you play and how loud you play. Hope that helps and hope I didn't give you any wrong info, I'm pretty new to tube amps too!
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
if you turn up the gain on your amp and you hear this reall high pitched EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣