For a few month ago, i practising Sweep Picking, and i have a few question to ask:

1. Is that really necessary to mute the string as soon as it played? If it really necessary, how can i mute the ascending sweep picking?

2. How is the fret fingering for this kind of sweep picking

|-----------------------12---|
|-------------------12-------|
|---------------12-----------|
|-----------14---------------|
|-------14-------------------|
|---12-----------------------|

Should i barre the 12th fret from the G string to e string? or performing a E minor chord? or there are other way? Same question for this sweep picking

|----------------------12----|
|------------------14--------|
|--------------14------------|
|----------14----------------|
|---12-16-------------------|
|-----------------------------|

Should i barre the 14th fret of D, G and B String? Which fingers should i use?

Ok, thx for the reply, sorry for the grammar (im not an English or American).

RoCk On
1. Your sweeps will sound better if you do. When descending (as in going from little e to big E) you mute the strings with the 1st finger of your fretting hand as it plays. when ascending you PM the strings you already played.

2. That kind of sweep can be akward so it mights be best to avoid the E on the 6th string and play a G (10th fret) on the 5th string.

When barring you nedd to sort of roll your finger so that the notes you've played are no longer depressed. On the twelfth fret however, the notes will probably continue to ring out as harmonics. This is where the muting comes in.

Try these fingerings
1 3 3 1 1 1
or
1 2 2 3 3 3
|-10-h-14------------------|
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
Hidde, for general uses, not rolling; do you mean fret hand or pick hand muting? When I sweep I think I mute with my pick hand for the most part, but would you recommend learning to mute with the fret hand more or is my current technique ok?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
When you're doing and ascending sweep (from big E to little e) the picking hand muting is the way to go.

When you're going the other way though it's not really possible to mute with the right so instead mute with the fretting hand.

Either way, I try to take the pressure off the frets I already have played .
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

Yo, Hidde. I've tried the ascending (from 6th to 1st string) with palm muting. And it works. thx.
But i still confuse with the descending one (from 1st to 6th string). How can i mute the string with 1st finger (index finger if i am not wrong), while i use that finger to play that string. For example, the C shape chord like this:

|9--------------|
|--10----------|
|------9--------|
|--------11----|
|-----------12-|
|---------------|

I think its a A major arpeggio. So, when i play 9th fret of 1st string (little e), how can i mute the string, while i'm using it? it goes same with the 9th fret of 3rd string (g string).
And about the rolling things, for example the E minor arpeggio, i barre the 12th fret from 3rd string to 1st string. When the 12th fret of 3rd string played, i 'roll' my finger to 12th fret of 2nd, and when 12th fret of 2nd played, i 'roll' my finger to 12th fret of 1st string. With this technique, the string is a little bit bending when i roll my finger down. Am i doing it right?? And its hard to play the descending (from 1st to 6th string) with rolling. The played string is still ringing because i roll my finger upward so the string is still pressed.
Hope im not to messy with my english, hehehe. Thx again Hidde
Quote by Hidde
When you're doing and ascending sweep (from big E to little e) the picking hand muting is the way to go.

When you're going the other way though it's not really possible to mute with the right so instead mute with the fretting hand.

Either way, I try to take the pressure off the frets I already have played .

Cheers, you've just caused me to have a nice little sweeping epiphany about how my technique works, now all I need to do is learn to roll at speed, lol.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by trashmaniac
Yo, Hidde. I've tried the ascending (from 6th to 1st string) with palm muting. And it works. thx.
But i still confuse with the descending one (from 1st to 6th string). How can i mute the string with 1st finger (index finger if i am not wrong), while i use that finger to play that string. For example, the C shape chord like this:

|9--------------|
|--10----------|
|------9--------|
|--------11----|
|-----------12-|
|---------------|

I think its a A major arpeggio. So, when i play 9th fret of 1st string (little e), how can i mute the string, while i'm using it? it goes same with the 9th fret of 3rd string (g string).

Hmm... I'll try to walk you through this lick.
1. First finger plays 9th fret on 1st string
2. Second finger plays 10th fret on 2nd string. At the same time take pressure off the first finger so it is justing muting the string.
3. While the tip of the first finger will be on the 9th fret of the 3rd string you lay the rest of that finger across the 1st and 2nd strings, muting them.
4. As you play the 11th fret of the 4th string (with your third finger) you leave the first finger in a position so it is muting the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings.
5. To play the last note, leave the first finger where it is and as you play the note with your fourth finger take pressure off the third finger.

It becomes more natural as you do it.

Quote by trashmaniac

And about the rolling things, for example the E minor arpeggio, i barre the 12th fret from 3rd string to 1st string. When the 12th fret of 3rd string played, i 'roll' my finger to 12th fret of 2nd, and when 12th fret of 2nd played, i 'roll' my finger to 12th fret of 1st string. With this technique, the string is a little bit bending when i roll my finger down. Am i doing it right??

You say that you're bending the string when you roll? That's strange.

When I say "roll" I mean you barre the three strings and take pressure off each string as you play it which ends up making a kind of rolling motion in the finger.

I do not mean you barre the strings and drag your finger down to the next string.

Quote by trashmaniac

And its hard to play the descending (from 1st to 6th string) with rolling. The played string is still ringing because i roll my finger upward so the string is still pressed.
Hope im not to messy with my english, hehehe. Thx again Hidde

Try rolling like I described above. If that's not the problem try barring a different fret. The twelfth fret is a good position for doing harmonics so after you take the pressure off the fret a harmonic might sound even if you're muting the string. This would give you the impression that the string is still ringing.

I hope I answered your questions. If the explanation is too confusing just say so and I'll put up a vid.

EDIT: Glad I could help, Zaphod.

|-------14-------------------|
|---12-----------------------|

i would use the following fingers 1 2 3 1 1 1 (barre)

|----------------------12----|
|------------------14--------|
|--------------14------------|
|----------14----------------|
|---12-16-------------------|

i would use the following fingers 1 4 2 2 2 (barre) 1
You got it clear Hidde. I'll try it. Thx for the reply. Thesimo, I'm gonna try what you advice either. Thank you very much guys.