Hey there kids. This past week I decided to start up a new project for the summer. After my last double-cut telecaster project went down the ****ter, I really wanted to make something I could be proud of. I looked around for something unique and fun and I stumbled across a stratocaster body with a flamed maple top. So $65 later I now have the body in my possession. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Here's a pic of the top after being wiped with a damp towel. The flame pattern is actually really nice.

I haven't really decided much else as far as stain, hardware, but I have decided to just use an old loaded MIJ strat pickguard I've had laying around for quite some time. I've been looking around for a maple neck and I should have one by next week. But any suggestions you guys might have, I'd love to hear them.
that is nice. Vintage three-tone-Sunburst ftw for that one.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
that would look really nice with a dark blue around the outside, slowly changing into light blue on the inside.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
You could try an uncommon coloured burst, like green or a multi-layer multicolour burst.

The classic three tone is always a looker, especially with a slightly aged pickguard and knobs.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Slavik

It's a beauty. See through black please.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
$65?

Did you find the holy grail of flame-top bodies or something? Please post a link if there's more.

That thing is SWEET looking.

Whatever you decide to put on it, make sure you can really see the grain. I'd even like that in a an all-natural look, sort of a honey colored stain... but a burst will look best.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
That is ridiculously cheap.

Consider a 2 tone sunburst as well. Looks really classy imo. Although gold hardware can look nice with that colour i think id prefer it without.

Id suggest aged cherry burst as well, but thats a fairly common colour and you might wanna do something a bit different.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
Dragonburst! I saw some a pic of a Dragonburst carvin around here one time and it was great (Blue on the outside green on the inside I think it was)
Quote by korn klown 14
Light purple stain, gold hardware!

definatly
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Imo. route it for floyd rose, and make it HSS with some SD's. Throw a classic stack in there with a JB. That would be some pretty awesome stuff
Dragonburst finish looks sweet

This is pretty nice too

This is my favorite though
(Invalid img)
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
emerald green ftw
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Wow, great suggestions guys. The 3-tone burst is probably my favorite right now. Something with a amber, to dark brown, to black. I'm relitively new to staining and dyes so I'm going to practice a little bit before I dive right in.

I did get the body pretty cheap, one of my fathers old classmates was or is still a luthier and he's giving me great deals on things he has lying around his shop. He left a messege on my phone last night about a paddle headstock neck he might let go for cheap. I'll call him tommorow.

Also, I was wondering if a local shop like Home Depot, or Menards will have wood dyes? I assume they would, but I'd rather just save a trip by asking or calling them.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Well, I searched on the home depot website, and I know they have stains and sealants(sp?), but when I searched for dyes, all I got was printers.
Since when does Home Depot sell printers?
sell one to me!!!
how much??
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Well, $50 and a two hour roundtrip drive later I have my neck!

I just got done outlining the headstock. It looks real good. I'm very excited for this project to get going.

I still haven't done much research on where I'm going to get my dyes, but I suppose I have time.

I talked to the luthier I've gotten my body and neck from so far, and he told me he has a few other things I could get from him if I need them. He has a bridge off a highway one he'd let me have for cheap, some tuners, and maybe some other little stuff. I've been calculating it and I think I'll be able to complete this build well under $400. Which makes this starving college student very happy.
Nice flame on that. I personally think that the dragonburst with a white pearloid pickguard would be amazing.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Damn, man... those are nice parts even if you paid a chunk of change for them.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
even if you paid a chunk of change for them.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you? I got the body and neck for a total of $115. Not a bad deal IMO.
Yeah, you can't hear my tone over the internet. You got a WICKED deal on those parts. They would still be nice if you had much more for them.
My Music
Today when I came home from work I found a package at the front door. Inside was a bridge off of a Highway One stratocaster.

Only another $50 and I'm well on my way to completing the project. Here's just kind of a mock-up with the bridge and the pickguard on it.

The only few things I have left to get are some tuners which are on route to my house and should be here sometime this week, output jack and output plate which a friend of mine is giving me, a nut for the neck which I'll pickup after I have the tuners, and then of course the wood dyes which I'm still not 100% sure on where I'm going to get. But as far as ideas for a stain I've been searching around for examples and I've taken a liking to the aged tiger finish as seen on the Joe Perry LP.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
Hey there guys, I went and picked up a nut for the neck today and I was just wondering what sort of glue I should use to attach it to the neck? Would regular super glue work or should I use something stronger?
Quote by Slavik
Hey there guys, I went and picked up a nut for the neck today and I was just wondering what sort of glue I should use to attach it to the neck? Would regular super glue work or should I use something stronger?

I believe the string tension should be enogh to keep it there, no?

I've never done anything like this, but my Godin's nut seems to stay put without any glue.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Just put a dab of wood glue on it. Not much at all though, that way when you take off your strings, your nut wont fall off. Plus I would just fell better knowing that its glued on.
Is that a solid maple top or a veneer?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
The last nut I did, I just pressed it in. It was a little too tight for the slot, so I filed it until it fit very snug.
My Music
Veneer. I did some staining tonight, it's looking pretty badass if I dont say so myself. Pics will be up either later tonight or tommorow night.
Not a big fan of the LP in the pic there. The brown looks too.... paneling colored.
My Music