Hi all,

Haven't used my amp in ages (its a tube amp) and recently turned it on... and i could smell burning pretty much straight away without even playing. When i put it on standby its fine but when i leave it on and play the smell remains. Is this just a valve replacement issue? The amp is about 20 years old but the valves have been replaced about 4 years ago...
I don't know, but maybe dust is burning I've never owned a tube amp so don't listen to me.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
might be the transformer. or yea. just dust? lol. u HOPE its the dust. transformer would cost u $several hundreds.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I don't have any helpful advice really, except to let you know that it can happen to any amp, SS or tube. At band practice one time we had a PA speaker cabinet burst into flames. I was pretty cool actually, we had a video camera going and on the tape you can see the flames starting to come out through the last minute or so of the song, none of us even noticed. Then we were standing around talking and you just hear our singer go "Holy ****!". The two of us grabbed it, unplugged it, hauled it outside and poured a beer on it. That last thing you hear before the tape cut off was our drummer saying, it a totally stoner voice, "Coooool!". It was pretty hilarious, I need to find that tape and post the video on my band's website.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I don't have any helpful advice really, except to let you know that it can happen to any amp, SS or tube. At band practice one time we had a PA speaker cabinet burst into flames. I was pretty cool actually, we had a video camera going and on the tape you can see the flames starting to come out through the last minute or so of the song, none of us even noticed. Then we were standing around talking and you just hear our singer go "Holy ****!". The two of us grabbed it, unplugged it, hauled it outside and poured a beer on it. That last thing you hear before the tape cut off was our drummer saying, it a totally stoner voice, "Coooool!". It was pretty hilarious, I need to find that tape and post the video on my band's website.

HAHAHAHA
i woulda been "Cooooool!" too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by fatgraymatt

awsome story. made my hour
Quote by fatgraymatt

I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
I would say its just the dust...try dusting it out with canned air or a compressor and see if that does the trick then get back to us.

PA fire...cool lol
post the video if you find it...I wanna see.
Quote by moody07747
I would say its just the dust...try dusting it out with canned air or a compressor and see if that does the trick then get back to us.

PA fire...cool lol
post the video if you find it...I wanna see.

I really want to post it but I was going through my tapes tonight and I think it's in the possession of our old coke-head bass player, who we canned. I doubt he'll feel like giving it back but maybe I'll call him anyway.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by zwound
awsome story. made my hour

Thanks. If you liked that one, check out what I wrote in this thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619811

Of course, that one is fiction while my fire story is true but, what the hell? I was feeling literary tonight.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Thanks. If you liked that one, check out what I wrote in this thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619811

Of course, that one is fiction while my fire story is true but, what the hell? I was feeling literary tonight.

I lawlocoptored.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
dude , the best info i have for ya is taking it to tech or a guitar shop so the pro's can take a look at it
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal