well over on the customising forum i am refinishing a custom les paul but now i need to be thinking of pickups.

I mostly play grunge, hard rock and metal like pantera, nirvana, seether, B4MV, metallica and i'm starting to make my own stuff within these genres. However over the last couple of months i have been also experimenting with some cleaner stuff therefore i need a versitile pickup.

The ones i have in mind (note the les paul i have is routed only for a bridge Pic)

Bareknuckle - Warpig

Swineshead - Venom or Xbucker (a bit of advice on that please)

Any other recomendations you have will be appreciated (sp?) but i would not like to spend way too much. Thanks
what amp do you have?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
dude , rather save up some cash for a better amp ? .

im getting the Bare Knuckles Ceramic Warpig
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
Quote by t3mp
dude , rather save up some cash for a better amp ? .

im getting the Bare Knuckles Ceramic Warpig

^ dude if you didnt read, its for a new guitar and without a pickup there will be no sound coming from an amp so i guess i should get a pickup first right

secondly i do not think that i need a new amp at the stage i am at and i am quite happy with the tone i am getting with my cube
Quote by dingo356
^ dude if you didnt read, its for a new guitar and without a pickup there will be no sound coming from an amp so i guess i should get a pickup first right

secondly i do not think that i need a new amp at the stage i am at and i am quite happy with the tone i am getting with my cube

my bad DUDE

Get the Warpigs man , look into some painkillers too , if i had enough cash i would buy both . DUDE , i would really not put expensive pickups like that into any guitar thats gonna be played through a 60 watt ss amp
(thats just me , what do i know ).
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
BKP's have a very good reputation around here- I personally haven't tried them, but the two that are usually mentioned for that music are the Warpigs and Nailbombs.
You wanting to stay passive or active? I assume passive?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^ yeah passive for sure. t3mp why not put expensive pickups in, who knows its not like i am going to keep that amp forever so why spend money on ****ty pickups, then a new amp, then better pickups when i can just get the better pickups then as i progress get a new amp, i think i will be saving the price of ****ty pickups.
Quote by dingo356
^ yeah passive for sure. t3mp why not put expensive pickups in, who knows its not like i am going to keep that amp forever so why spend money on ****ty pickups, then a new amp, then better pickups when i can just get the better pickups then as i progress get a new amp, i think i will be saving the price of ****ty pickups.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about any of BKP's range, but if you're going for a Warpig go with the Alnico, apparently the ceramic ones sound a little lifeless in comparison, even though they're higher gain.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hey man
i have a cube 2 and i got a new guitar wit way better pups, anticipating for my new amp
dont listen to the other dudes
pups WILL make a diff to ur tone even on an ss like the cube
i will admit the diff isnt as pronounced as it would b if on a tube amp
but u can definately hear a diff
as for pups
jbs r really good alround pups
personally, EMG 81/85 set ROXXXXXXX
i luv em
Id recommend them but their clean is quite stale and boring i have to admit
Id say Seymour Duncan Jbs wit 59 or Jazz in the neck
Also Dimarzio PAFs r meant to be very fat sounding and they are very popular 2
Check them out
Jackson DKMG
Squier Affinity Strat (Fender SCN Pups)
Squier P Bass Special
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401
Boss Metal Zone (piece of crap)
Boss DS 2
EHX Little Big Muff
i am still leaning towards the swineshead mainly because the venom sound clip sounds fookin amazing and for the price its a good buy, the warpig is way too expensive i may save up for it and put it in my other les paul.
Warpigs all the way, though im quite partial to the nailbomb too
Man kills everything
if you do decide on BKP's, head over to their forum, better advice than here. I have a miracle man/cold sweat set, they're very nice, but they're the only ones i've tried.

Swinesheads are nice too, i have a warthog/spotlight/condor set. Problem is, i haven't tried the ones you're interested in- but a warthog/condor set would be extremely versatile. I'd definitely consider a lower output neck pickup, unless you never play cleans.

EDIT: ah crap i've just realised it's only routed for bridge pickup. For swineshead i'd definitely consider the warthog. BKP- again, head to their forum, though i suspect the warpig is too hot unless you plan on installing parallel wiring/coil splits as an option...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 4, 2007,
thanks for all your input but the BKP just seems out of my price range ill take a look on e-bay if not ill check out the warthog.
^ the cleans on the warthog aren't amazing, but if you roll down the guitar's volume, they're definitely usable (you'd ideally want a treble bleed cap on your volume knob, though, the cleans are quite dark with the volume up, don't want them getting any darker!)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?