How do i expand my bass breaks to get a more complicated break instead of the same old stuff. I want a more spread out break(fretbord wise). I don't really know if im to clear it's hard to word but reply if you need help getting it or with some suggestion or and exercise that will help in anyway.
get a bright tone
a cool distortion... maybe a russian big muff...

play metallica songs where cliff played (first 3 albums)... especially disposable heroes, orion, for whom the bell tolls, anesthesia, damage inc....

i am a lead bassist myself, and i found that much more then playing crap.... what had the biggest toll on my writing was finding the action different notes have on the sound, what feeling do they give to the overall sound and melody and rythm...
Know em' all!!KILLEM' ALL( BEST ALBUM EVER!!) i mean in a song im play i love to break off and do a small scale or run but its all just becoming old to me i wont to get them more spread out. I uses some classical stuff and it helps but id like more.
i listen to classical music, like mozart, but only piano compositions, not orchestras or anything.....

that helps me alot somehow, really...
ok dude ignore desolation, distortion doesnt equal lead bass, my advice is learn your scales and improvise with them the more you do it the more comfortable you'll get with experimenting.

and learn alot of different styles of music all the best bass fills incorperate another style of music other than the main style of the song in to them.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yea most people dont realize that using that classic composition can real be added to anything!!No just classical ive use it for everything,METAL ALOT its great for metal!!!
yeah... i recommend you listen to jaco pastorius......mozart.......cliff burton........ steve harris..... geezer butler.......

get this album:

"jaco pastorius" by jaco pastorius.................... it'll change the way you see bass forever, and it'll also melt your face...
i know distortion is not to be always on... you damn skater asshole... but its always good to have one IF YOURE A LEAD BASS PLAYER AND PLAY IN A METAL BAND... god, what a ****head...
lead bassist. Cliff aint the only example and the reason he has to have 'limited' influence is because of how tragically short his life was. Yes a quality bass player, but there are more. My personal idea of a lead bassist comes from Jaco, and it applies to all types of music. Play the melody, thats all he did (thats probably the most basic way of describing jaco's playing lol), and then there ya go, u effectively become a lead bass player. Thats just my opinion.
if u want to be a lead bassist in the sense of rhythm and lead (ala guitar), i dunno, stu hamm, billy sheehan etc, they seem to be the names that are comin to mind besides cliff. But as to actually achieving lead bass status, i dont know anything particularly helpful as i would have thought it is more a case of developing your own style and keep at it. I hope this helps.
billy sheenan is also someone to look into...

you have to have a melodic music as well as rythmic in your mind if you want to compose more creative things, you have to have a rythm in order to support the band, but also to be melodicaly complex...
Quote by DesolationRow0
i know distortion is not to be always on... you damn skater asshole... but its always good to have one IF YOURE A LEAD BASS PLAYER AND PLAY IN A METAL BAND... god, what a ****head...

lead bassist in a metal band aye, that sound suspiciously like me.

I manage to play lead bass in a melodic death metal band and the only thing I need is a good clean cut through the mix and a bit of compression

i have never touched distortion because as soon as you touch that pedal you get lost in the mix and as a lead bassist thats a bad thing if you didn't know

love

skater asshole

ps. did i mention *reported*

(not the thread just you)
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
True but Cliff was heavly influenced but Geddy Lee. billy sheehan is just ****ing great there is nothin else to it!!KING OF TAPPING! But i think peole like flea, Cliff,Les Claypool are used as example so much is because they are not just instrumental bassist such as Stu Or Victor and its more kinda mainstream if you follow me.
he's a damn cliff fan, he's obviously gonna want distortion....

and for the record..... i use loads of distortion in my band, and theres not a song where im not heard as much as the guitar, and im not turned up lower louder then them...
first point- many cliff fans don't want distortion. I for one don't. At all. And the second point is, it's not about volume, it's about the EQ used
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
True the more you turn up the less control over sound you have and it becomes hard to get "your sound" cause its just a HUGE mess of noise but distortion is a good way to increase volume i guess but you lost control like i said!!
dude no, i just don't use distortion because i like to cut through the mix and be heard

and for the record i'm a studio technician i know what works in mixes and what doesn't its my job
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
you can hear yourself all the people listening can here is a very deep buzz
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
yea i dont really care for it. I have no use not even in solo's unless im doin' pulling teeth or any cliff really but if you have a smaller amp and need the power then i say do what you have to do but id go to the guitar amp and turn his ass down if he's got a problem hit him with the bass there much heavier then guitar thats one nice thing!! .
wow,
skater dan and desolution have really gotten into a little tiff about this one...
back on topic boys, the petty fights wont help answer this guys question

anyways do exactly what Ml84ksr said, play the melody. Look at matching the guitar or try something difficult and go on the melody your singer is using. That should allow you to play with a more lead style
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Lol at Dan and Desolation fighting.

Anyway, scales are the way to go. Practice them a hell of a lot, know the different modes and try them at all different speeds. Mix them up a little and practicing chromatic runs will help a lot too.

Practice your fretting technique so all notes (no matter how fast you're playing) ring out clearly.
signature
Ok first of all, distortion IS NOT THE KEY. You playing is the key.
#1 If you have a guitarist or god forbid two guitarists using distortion and you also put some distortion, you'll lose most of the bottom end of the band (maybe not your own, but think of the band) and your will be lost in the mix. Use distortion wisely, taste is the key.
#2 Learn scales and modes the best you can, if you are lead bass you need to be up front and making melodic lines and pretty damn interesting ones. It's not how much notes you play, but which ones and how well. again, a matter of taste.
#3 A good EQ, remember, low mids are your friends.
You want to play "lead bass" (btw guys, please stop saying that ****, it sounds so ****ing stoopid) but you haven't expanded your range of the fretboard? Sound to me like instead of worrying about name drops and distortion pedals you should learn to play bass. Also, what the hell is a "bass break?"
Quote by Bumper
You want to play "lead bass" (btw guys, please stop saying that ****, it sounds so ****ing stoopid) but you haven't expanded your range of the fretboard? Sound to me like instead of worrying about name drops and distortion pedals you should learn to play bass. Also, what the hell is a "bass break?"

A bass break is a fill - much like a bass riff can also be called a groove. Synonyms are your friend.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
[/another bites the dust music] Learn the blues scale, I mean like seriously make love to it. And you can only be a lead bass if there is another bassist that holds groove whilst you play in accordanace to his groove he lays down. (At least that's how it works where I come from) I don't like distortion, but then again I'm don't play in bands with much distortion so I'ma going to leave that for Skaterboy to talk about. What I do know is breaking from an F blues riff around the nut, then going straight down to your bridge to do it is kind of stupid... I'd be less worried about flying all over the fingerboard and more worried about making what you have sound better. And I can tell by looking at you that you don't have enough harmonics.
First off Bumper dont tell me what to say. i can play many scales, modes, ect. I also know much about theory. It not a lack of fret expandsion but the knowlegde to use it in a "break" or a on the spot "solo" my problem isusing the right scale or such as a "break" but not using the same old basic penotonic scale or simple modes. And on a pesonal level I ****ing hate people like you who think they know it all and are quick to point out somthing they believe to be wrong as if to glorify themself and try to show others how smart they are you F***ING A**H***!
First off Bumper dont tell me what to say. i can play many scales, modes, ect. I also know much about theory. It not a lack of fret expandsion but the knowlegde to use it in a "break" or a on the spot "solo" my problem isusing the right scale or such as a "break" but not using the same old basic penotonic scale or simple modes. And on a pesonal level I ****ing hate people like you who think they know it all and are quick to point out somthing they believe to be wrong as if to glorify themself and try to show others how smart they are you F***ING A**H***!
well this could've stayed open, but, nice job guys.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!