when wiring up a guitar do you need shielded or un-shielded cable?

also if i am supposed to use shielded cable, i assume i use the outer core wire as the cold/earth?

i feel like an idiot asking this, i probably know the answer.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
You don't have to use shielded wire, but you should shield the cavities the wire is in.

The outer shielded portion of shielded wire gets connected to ground at only one end. If you use it to ground on both ends, then the shielding characteristics are gone. The trick is, the floating outer shield pulls noise off and bleeds it to ground instead of letting it get through to the signal wire inside.

So don't use the shield as a ground wire, but do ground it on one end. Leave the other end clipped clean so it doesn't come in contact with anything.

I think shielded wire is more important when passing through unshielded cavities, like to the output jack. (thats the only place I've used it)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
you mean i only should use shielded cable to connect the output jack to the rest of the circuit?
(the guitar is a strat, so that's the only un-shielded cavity that a cable is gonna be passed through)
Rig Winter 2017:

i wouldnt bother really, you can, and it should cut noise, but nobody uses it, way too much of a pain to wire
Quote by sempri_fi
i wouldnt bother really, you can, and it should cut noise, but nobody uses it, way too much of a pain to wire

i know shielded cable is annoying, i've used it when i built a tiny, computer speaker sized guitar amplifier for the connection between the input jack and the actual amplification circuit, which was completely necessary.

i suppose i could just put copper foil around the cavities in the body to shield it, i'll be fine using shileded cable for the input jack.
Rig Winter 2017:

Hell, I'd use shielded wire and shielding the cavity for best results. Wire for bits that the shield can't cover (pup to main control cavity for example.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1