I've been seeing a lot of guitars(mainly acoustic) lately which don't seem to have a marking on the fretboard (the dots that show fret 3, 5 ,...etc)

So.. what's the point of NOT having those markings ?
Well once you've been playing for a while you don't really need to look at the markings anymore. So they're probably for advanced players.
A skilled played shouldn't need them.

They're usually not there on classical guitars.
Same goes for sidemarkers on them.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
It gives some body shapes that classy look IMO. When you play long enough you dont need the inlays.
"...And the guy thats on the ground, that needs some help, you dont walk up and kick him. If you do that you better be wearing shoes for a while. 'Cause you know what? Trade places with him.. he'll pick you up." Stevie Ray Vaughan
Quote by Mky
Better for sustain

I'm not gonna poke you, I'm gonna shoot you.

Inlays and most of the other stuff most people think do have very, very little to do with sustain. Set necks and bolt-ons are basically the same. Neckthrus have a minimal amount more.

It's purely aesthetic. I could do with just one on the twelfth and side dots.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
One n the 12th is useful, beyond that the rest are decoration but tbh I like them and I think they make a guitar more interesting!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

most classical players do it because it looks unprofessional to have the inlays

that's what my guitar teacher says