And I just woke up to an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in alpine white and a Line 6 Spider Amp (Yes, I have AWESOME parents, even though we are splitting the cost). Now, are these good? Should I return either one? I really like LP's, and this one seems really nice. However, I still have the Guitar Center 30 days no questions return policy. nShould I return any of this? If so, what should I get instead with that money?

ALSO:
Now that I FINALLY have a good electric, anyone know some good electric songs ?
return the line 6 it will ruin you LP trust me line 6 are terrible for the money but thats a really nice les paul.
Gibson SG Standard

Custom Monterey Strat with Half scallop and CS 69's

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
get nice marshal tube instead return the line 6 my friend has 1... they ain't wrth the money...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
the lp is a good guitar, as for the amp, i have't heard many good things, but i haven't actually played one so i couldn't tell you... give it a week and play them a good amount, then make a decision
well... the line6 is so-so. i think they sound too digital, but theyr kinda nice cuz they have tons of presets and you can sorta figure what kinda sound you like without having to fiddle with tone controls n stuff.

but the lp is nice for the $$. pickups could be changed later on, i dont really like their sounds too much...
but ya, the line6 would be probly the thing you wanna return and get like...a epi valve stndrd or sumthin like that, tube amps are the way to go buddy.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Hmm I disagree - the Marshall DSL and TSL ranges are completely beyond the Line 6 Spiders in terms of price and you're probably better off with a Line 6 than a Marshall MG so I'd stick with what you've got; maybe save up and get a tube amp when you've progressed more with your playing
no matter what people say, the spider isn't actually a bad amp and plus returning a birthday gift isn't very nice.

The spider has a lot of inbuilt effects and actually sounds quite decent(especially if they got you anything above and including the Spider III 75). I'd keep it especially since your new to electrics. and don't listen to the people who just put it down without solid reasons.

Also IMO, from using decent tube amps and a spider III, plus from reading tons of magazine reviews, the Spider III is a nice amp. It won't stand upto one of the big boys(Vetta for that), but its a great amp for a beginner and it'll last you a long while. No magazine has given it anything but glowing reviews and I've used the Spider III 120 and its got some nice sounds.

The epi is really good though. Good for rhythm and some leads.

Try learning:
1)'Enter Sandman' and 'Fade to black' by metallica
2)Paranoid by black sabbath
3)American Idiot by Greenday
4)What's my age again by Blink 182
5)Wish you were here by Pink Floyd
6)Californication, By the way, under the bridge, readymade by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers

That should cover most bases.

Oh and happy birthday..
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Jul 4, 2007,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ITS MY BIRTHDAY AS WELL

i have heard a lot of bad things about the spider, but my friend has a spider 3 75 and he seems to like it. I have a Vox Ad50VT and i think its amazing. You should definitely try out Vox, or ive also heard good things about Roland Cubes.
yea deffinately return the line 6 and get a different amp
what kind of music are you into? if youre not totally sure and still want a modeling amp get a vox valvetronix. but if youre into blues get a fender blues junior or get the epi valve standard like the other guy suggested
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
return the lne 6, and get a vox valvetronix, great for the money!
<Buy advertising space!> <- Place it there...
Umm.... Shh. Haha the LP Custom is Nice, and the Spider should easily keep you going until you upgrade the amp, which ideally shouldn't be for a fair while. The Spiders could be far far worse, & you can get a lot more variety out of them than the Marshall MG's (experience is a bastard, eh?), and hoping for a DSL is just ludicrous - I'd say enjoy the presents, & they will definately get you sounding good onstage.
Good electric Songs... Just go with your fave bands to start with, & look for the simpler songs to learn, & go through from there. Work on Black Sabbath riffs if you're a metal fan though, that's one thing I'd recommend.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
The spider's fine for bedroom practice, it's only when you start to crank it that it sounds like ass. Keep em both and you can always move on to something more advanced in the future, but it's a great starting place
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
The spider's fine for bedroom practice, it's only when you start to crank it that it sounds like ass. Keep em both and you can always move on to something more advanced in the future, but it's a great starting place

Agreed completely. Just keep them, I'd feel really guilty about returning a gift, It's just not me.
look into an epi valve junior or a vox valvetronix
Gibson SG Standard

Custom Monterey Strat with Half scallop and CS 69's

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
Alright cool, I think you guys are right, returning a birthday gift would make me an arce. Thanks for all your help, and the cool songs, (by the way I am not totally new, just to electrics. Ive been playing acoustic for two years).
So I think I will keep everything unless I find something severely wrong within the next 30 days. Thanks guys!
Quote by Tedward
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ITS MY BIRTHDAY AS WELL

i have heard a lot of bad things about the spider, but my friend has a spider 3 75 and he seems to like it. I have a Vox Ad50VT and i think its amazing. You should definitely try out Vox, or ive also heard good things about Roland Cubes.

OMG NO WAIT *hugzorz*
keep the les paul for sure. I have and love it. If you already have a good then return the line 6 an mabye get new pickups. If you dont have a good amp return for a blues junior or something tube.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Really, really nice guitar. I'd look into swapping amps, though. I think you'd be much happier with a Vox AD. And I really wouldn't feel bad about returning the amp. Just tell your parents, after a few days, "hey, I really appreciate the gifts a lot; you have no idea! But I've played with the amp, and I just don't think it's the right fit for me. Would you mind coming back to Guitar Center with me? I think I've found another amp for the same price which would fit me much better." And, if that doesn't work, just tell them you're arachnophobe.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
return the line 6 and get a tube amp. maybe the epi valve junior and if u have the money a 10band eq
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
If you woke up with a Line 6 it means your parents hate you.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

hey dude happy birthday! keep the les paul they own. about the amp my m8 has a line6 spider 2 and it doesnt sound too bad. But it is up to u. so give them bot a try and see what works best 4 u. returning a bday pressie aint very nice though.
I wouldn't feel bad returning a gift. If I talked to my 'rents and said "You know, I love you for getting this for me, but there are much nicer amps for the price. Would it be okay if I traded this one in for that?" I'm sure they would feel fine.

It's the thought that counts, and that Line 6 is not very good. They didn't say "we need to get him a line 6 amp!" they thought that they would get you a very versatile amp that you would like, but the sales people like to push these things on people.

Anyway, if you like the line 6 don't return it. You may regret it soon, but they are decent starting amps.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
wtf line 6's are good for the money just maybe not the best amp lol. Id say keep the line 6 then get a good tube amp in the future. By the way what wattage is the amp??
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by stratele
wtf line 6's are good for the money just maybe not the best amp lol. Id say keep the line 6 then get a good tube amp in the future. By the way what wattage is the amp??

75 watts.
Hmm... This thread has made me think.
And the LP is the ****. I love it so much, it is just... beautiful.
Haha, they tend to have that effect on people with good taste, welcome to the Les Paul family, and happy birthday!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Well, it's up to you. As far as feeling bad about returning a gift, look at it this way: they bought the gift to make you happy, and if you're not happy with it then it's wasted. At least if you just explain to them, and get something you're happy with, then they're happy you're happy and you're happy too.

I'd suggest just going down to Guitar Center or whatever and trying out a lot of different amps, see what you like.

edit: Keep the guitar! Epi LP's are awesome guitars
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Jul 4, 2007,
Don't listen to ANYONE here...

You've got a month. Play them to the fullest, try out as much of the features, and decide for yourself. If it's a Spider 3, which I'm assuming it is, then I really enjoyed it. The effects were pretty spot on...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
The people who say that Spiders are bad... do you own one? Have you played one enough to find the right settings? Have you played one at all? Seriously. He's new to electrics, why would he need a tube amp now? Let's face it, Spiders are not bad. I doubt a Vox will be more than a bit better, if at all than the Line 6. I'm happy with my Line 6. It handles metal well, as well as other styles like classic rock, blues and such with your LP. Get a tube amp later, TS. Stick with your Line 6 for now, and return it if you don't like it.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Happy Birthday, mate!!!

The LP Custom is indeed awesome. Concerning the amp... Do you like the sound of the amp? If you do, I don't see why you shouldn't keep it.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
dude, its a 75 watt? and an epi lp? your parents are awesome, i had to pay for all my gear...
75W and up, they're fine. not great, but they do the job really well. if you like it, keep it! if not... well, that's your choice. don't return it immediately unless you just can't stand it though. personally, i think you'll want to hold on to it at least until you start to develop an ear for the various tones you want. that can take a while, and the spider has enough options in it that you can fiddle around forever in pursuit of 'that tone'. or, if you're like me, dozen tones seriously though, the spider is a great way to experiment with tones.
happy b-day!
Quote by groovymr1337
75 watts.
Hmm... This thread has made me think.
And the LP is the ****. I love it so much, it is just... beautiful.

The 75 is a pretty good amp. The presets are great for getting started and storing your own stuff. If you can, get a footpedal to control the effects.
Also the 75 and above have some really nice amp sims. IMO most people play the 15W and get a bad impression, but the 75W above are a very different amp series.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
The 75 is a pretty good amp. The presets are great for getting started and storing your own stuff. If you can, get a footpedal to control the effects.
Also the 75 and above have some really nice amp sims. IMO most people play the 15W and get a bad impression, but the 75W above are a very different amp series.

Yeah, same with BC rich. Most people play the bronze series warlocks and then think the whole brand is bad. There are better, tube amps at the price of the higher end Spiders, but they can't be bad because of that.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Keep both, I'm planning to buy a cheap amp for bedroom practice since my engl is way to loud.
oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

I'd love to own your guitar.
Orange Enthousiast.
Line 6 is very average, but seriously, unless you've been playing for at least 2 years you're not going to notice the difference between them and say a Marshall tube, except volume. Yes, tubes are better, but for the beginner Line 6 will hold its own. Upgrade in a couple of years or whatever. Upgrade when you be 1337. lol