Hi. I am looking for a small amp to take with me to college and figured that perhaps making one would be some fun (though i only have a little soldering experience). So i dont really want a $500 kit cause they are too expensive and i would not be able to take it on the plane with me. Well I found this. I think it is a really meant to be for audio use, but that would make it a sole power amp right? If it is, this would be perfect for me because i would use my zoom g7.1ut as a preamp. Could i just switch the input jack with a guitar input jack? Also how hard would building somthing like this be? It looks really easy. Lastly, i cant tell, but would this amp be powered by a wall oulet or DC ?
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
If you're using a zoom multifx, there's no point in having a tube amp - the FX unit will have an amp simulator built in. You may as well just get a small SS combo to amplify it, as they're cheaper, don't need servicing/retubing, and more powerful. The 1 watt that puts out is only a little more than most headphones can do.
GB&C Pedal Builders and Mod Squadron
vBulletin Message

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
It says the output is 8 watts per amp.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Oops - my mistake, I was looking at harmonic distortion. Still, an 8 watt SS amp would be smaller/lighter and could be made for about £5.
vBulletin Message

Bugger
Most definitely. And there's no reason why you need to worry about tone when you're practicing at college.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I have to agree with Wyld. Normally I would stress a tube amp, but for this SS would serve you better.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Ok so does anyone have any SS amp kits, I do actually do want to build the amp and i dont want a pre- amp. I thought that the tube power amp would be a good way to amplify my pedal. Somthing like the Atomic Reactor (amp).
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
There are tons- Little Gem is good, Ruby is better. Both are still easy to do.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Yea i looked at the little yem but i figured it was too small for jamming with friends. How about maybe 2? would that be louder? the gem is really cheap so i could do that. Any links to other SS amp kits maybe?
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
Also i know it would be easier to buy an amp, but that would be no fun.
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
you could always go with a valve junior combo, they're like 140 bucks, which is definitely cheaper than you can build one reasonably, and they push 5w so it wont be super loud, and you can always drop a master volume in it to get more preamp distortion at resonable volumes.. and once you get one you'll mod the hell out of it anyway, and its good fun
Yea, but the epi would not work well with the zoom.
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
Why?
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by e_dude
Yea, but the epi would not work well with the zoom.

It would work fairly well, aswell as any multieffects pedal would. The vavle jr is a solid amp.

The valve junior is all valve. It won't work well because it starts to distort very quickly, there's little clean headroom. It doesn't sound too good when you have time based effects like delay and chorus (from the multifx) before the distortion (the VJ).
vBulletin Message

Bugger
Ok , i thought about the VJ earlier and posted it in the accesories forum and they all said that the zoom would ruin the tube tone. However, many people in thestompbox forum say that the zooms are very good with tube amps, that is why i wanted to try out the tube amp kit in the first place. IF the VJ will work fine then i would probly get that. Can I get some confirmation that the VJ will work well.
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
Hmm, so wlyd stallyn what would you suggest?
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
the VJ has enough clean headroom for running delay in it to sound just fine, and the zoom will be fine in front of a tube amp, i'd say it'd sound better than in front of a SS, the VJ will warm the sound up quite a bit.

and i've gotten good delay and chorus sounds from a pedal in front of distortion and it sounds good if you tweak it right.

and you can use the amp as a base for creating the tone you want out of it, it isn't too hard to put in a tonestack, you'll lose gain, but the zoom can make up for it.
The zoom will work with the tube amp but the output of the zoom may be quite loud so turn down the volume of the zoom so you don't distort the first stage of the amp. I put a master volume on my VJ so when I use my zoom I set the amp to give me a clean sound and also turn the volume of the zoom down.
if you have limited soldering experience I wouldnt even recommend building an amp because you can kill yourself quite easily
Quote by electrcspano335
if you have limited soldering experience I wouldnt even recommend building an amp because you can kill yourself quite easily

I completed an amp as my first build, though it has yet to make noise as I'm still trying to find the right speaker plug.

Quote by electrcspano335

I've never heard of a soldering related death; other than threats to stab someone with a hot iron. As long as your smart about working with electronics, I don't think you have to worry to hard about being electrocuted. If your new to this kind of thing ask someone with a little more experience to check the circuitry before you run power through anything.

I don't have any experience with multi-fx boards so I cant tell you if it will sound any good through a tube or not. Building the Diy kit would be a good learning experience, and I doubt it would sound horrible with the zoom.

I say go for it.
Alright guys, thanks for the replies. So it seems the VJ works with MFX. So should i get the VJ or the Tube amp kit? Also is that kit powered by the wall outlet or a transformer. thanx
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
Quote by hiphopopotamus
I've never heard of a soldering related death; other than threats to stab someone with a hot iron. As long as your smart about working with electronics, I don't think you have to worry to hard about being electrocuted. If your new to this kind of thing ask someone with a little more experience to check the circuitry before you run power through anything.

I don't have any experience with multi-fx boards so I cant tell you if it will sound any good through a tube or not. Building the Diy kit would be a good learning experience, and I doubt it would sound horrible with the zoom.

I say go for it.

Amps actually can store lethal amounts of electricity.
Quote by e_dude
Alright guys, thanks for the replies. So it seems the VJ works with MFX. So should i get the VJ or the Tube amp kit? Also is that kit powered by the wall outlet or a transformer. thanx

the answer is yes, they're powered by wall power through a transformer, all amps are really
Quote by forsaknazrael
Amps actually can store lethal amounts of electricity.

Would such a small amp kit be that dangerous for a beginner, even if they are careful and follow instructions?
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge
always keep one hand in your pocket as insurance, because even if you do get electrocuted, it will have a lot smaller chance of passing through your heart if you arm is grounded to your body. GOOD LUCK
I've heard one hand behind your head. You can just get shielded gloves, though.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
yea I suppose, but you might get an ache in your arm after a while.

If you are gonna do it, you should get some, I dont know how much they are, ive never made or modded an amp.
You really don't NEED gloves, providing you follow some decent safety techniques and know what you're doing. I'd be investing in some decent quality insulated tools (mine are rated to 1kV).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
or if you do the entire thing standing on a milk crate you'll be fine, but its simple to discharge caps, and it makes the job easier because you dont have to worry about getting nailed by a filter cap discharge...
Thanks guys. Another couple of questions before i get this. IT says that it is "8 watts per amp". What exactly does this mean? how much power can i expect from this thing? For example a VJ is rated 5 watts. It also says minimum input is .4v for maximum output. Is that talking about the power supply or the voltage coming into the input jack? thanks
Keiper Jackson Copy
Marshall VS 30
Zoom G7.1ut
Boss DS-2
Digitech Grunge