Yesterday I took of the strings from my bass, to clean the fretboard really good. I didnt take the strings off all the way, I just unwound the strings from the headstock, so I could clean the whole fretboard really good. But when I put the stings back on, they were alot closer to the fretboard, and when I play certain notes (mainly on the A string), they buzz.

What can I do to fix it without taking it into a shop?
Change the strings? Raise the action? Also, you only clean the fretboard when you're taking the strings off to change them, to prevent this kind of thing from happening.
Make sure the neck isn't bowed. If it isn't, raise the action. If it is bowed then you'll need tighten the truss rod. If you've never messed with it before I would take it to the shop.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
Make sure the neck isn't bowed. If it isn't, raise the action. If it is bowed then you'll need tighten the truss rod. If you've never messed with it before I would take it to the shop.

The neck couldnt be bowed...I just got it in December of 06.
Yeah, I havent messed with it before.
Quote by mr.frandy
You can try restringing it more losely so that the strings aren't so close.

Are you high or do you not have a clue what you're on about?
Quote by mr.frandy
You can try restringing it more losely so that the strings aren't so close.

what do you mean?
Quote by webbtje
Change the strings? Raise the action? Also, you only clean the fretboard when you're taking the strings off to change them, to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Could the action change by just taking the strings off?

Also, I have Elixer strings, and they are getiing kind of worn.
Quote by Navarre_Bassist

Just check. Six months is more then enough time for it to bow especially if you've switched string gauges or it's really humid where you are.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
Just check. Six months is more then enough time for it to bow especially if you've switched string gauges or it's really humid where you are.

I havent changed the strings at all.
I live in Florida, but I havent tooken it out of my house for about 3 months.
Quote by webbtje
I dunno, but it sounds like your action's lowered somehow.

And how do I know when the action is right? When it sounds good?
Quote by Navarre_Bassist

Did you loosen all the strings at once, or did you do them one at a time?
All the strings put a bunch of tension on the neck, and taking all of that off suddenly can warp your neck. You're supposed to only loosen/remove 1 string at a time.
Yeah, but I never have it outside. Im sure the neck isnt bowed. I have a family member that works at a music store. So I'll have him look at it.
Quote by dougydtxranger
Did you loosen all the strings at once, or did you do them one at a time?
All the strings put a bunch of tension on the neck, and taking all of that off suddenly can warp your neck. You're supposed to only loosen/remove 1 string at a time.

Damn...I took them all off at once...Crap. I'll go check the neck, and I'll be right back.
Quote by dougydtxranger
Take a straight edge and line it up against your neck to see if it is bowed or not.

Yeah, its all straight.
until it feels good and stops buzzing pretty much.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu