Lately, theres been a big deal of getting "too bluesy" in your solos or something along the lines of that. Many of people have been asking for solutions and don't bother to search for other threads. I have been doing research and I'll be giving out tips and solutions for canceling out those "too bluesy solos." Hopefully, this will be the last of the threads and you'll now know the place to look for suggestions. Thanks to every MTer who has answered the same old question over and over.

Getting out of the Pentatonic Scales or Blues scale

People say it's all in the phrasing (which is true) but just by using other scales, you will start to notice some change. The pentatonic scales are pretty common in blues and blues-rock. The same goes with the blues scale (minor pent. with a b5 added). Instead of sticking to these scales, try branching out into modes and weird exotic scales. The modes of Major, Harmonic Minor and Melodic Minor are great modes to work with. The modes add flavor to your solos and give it more variety. Read the FAQ sticky for further information on modes and scales.

Arpeggios

They helped me get out of the "rut" fairly easily I found. The way the sound is so musical and enchanting (im not saying that blues isn't musical though ). The sounds of the intervals create some great non-bluesy licks. Many arpeggios fit different moods and style. I've noticed alot of neo-classical players using them and same with metal players. I love using arps and creating great passages that runs through the fretboard. Whether they’re dim7 arpeggios or augmented, they seem to add tons of flavors to your playing.

Learn your favorite guitar solos and incorporate their licks into your playing.

This has been said many, many times. Poor CowboyUp up for having to repeat himself so many times. This is an excellent way to improve. Listen to one of your favorite solos and pick out all the licks that you find catchy and cool. Then, grab the tab/notation or tab/notate it by ear and practice those licks. Add them to your “lick library” and once you have them mastered, add them to your improvisation and solos. For example, a song that’s been in my head for a while is Fullmoon by Sonata Arctica. There's a huge run in the guitar solo and I love the sound of it. I’ll download the guitar pro file, find the lick and copy and paste it. I’ll print it off and in a couple of weeks I’ll have the lick down to the correct speed.

Also, try and figure why a solo doesn’t sound bluesy (if it isn’t) and try and figure out why you love it. Analyze it to bits and see what happens. Take a look at what notes were used over what chords. Analyze everything. I got this idea from Brando (kirbyrocknroll)

Bends vs Slides.

You'll notice alot of jazz guitar players slide rather than bend. A good way to de-blues is to replace bends with slides. Replacing bends with slides will work quite well when you want to change pitches. Plus, you'll be moving around the fretboard more with the sliding, which makes it easier to go from one area to the next.

Or, you could just cancel out lots of bending all together and let the note sing for itself. Leave the note to ring instead of bending it all the time. Thanks to Mittani for this tip!

Hopefully that sums things up. There will be more tips coming and if you have any other tips, pm me and I’ll post it a.s.a.p. (Giving you credit of course.) Feedback and questions are welcome.

-Danny
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Jul 4, 2007,
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
You can easily play in the pentatonic and not sound bluesy. It's about groove. Hell you can play atonally and sound bluesy. It's all about hearing the groove, the rythmn of a lick, the flow of an improv - how to use speed at the right moments. Differen't arpeggio ideas are certainly good for that because they make you think differently, people don't generally feel an arpeggio in a blues style, it makes them play different patterns.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
'how to sound not bluesy, an article by bluesrocker'

anyone else see the irony?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
'how to sound not bluesy, an article by bluesrocker'

anyone else see the irony?

I was going to point that out. I listen to everything and I used to hate sounding too bluesy. I managed to fix it and now I sound totally different. Plus, I came up with that name two years ago. I've become more of a musician and guitarist since.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Good job Danny. I have taught you well There was one thing however I noticed and I dont really get...

Quote by bluesrocker101

.....replace slides with bends. Replacing bends with slides.....

You contradict yourself there and Im not to sure which you mean.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
don't u mean "phrasing" in the first sentence of the first part?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by justin_fraser

I think he means to just mix it up and try new ways of playing certain notes.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by justin_fraser
Good job Danny. I have taught you well There was one thing however I noticed and I dont really get...

you didn't teach me anything you butt.

Sorry for all the typos. I got most of them fixed.
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
you didn't teach me anything you butt.

Sorry for all the typos. I got most of them fixed.

Haha, I taught you everything you know

Sadly I havent taught you how to proof read things after you write them though. Tis a shame.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
bravo man, bravo
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
This may just go in the MT FAQ Sticky, but let's give it a little time and see some more opinions on it.

Hitting notes more then once instead of just doing licks all the time. That could mean arppegiate...but w/e. It helped me!
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by justin_fraser
Haha, I taught you everything you know

Sadly I havent taught you how to proof read things after you write them though. Tis a shame.

I was typing it up yesterday in a word document at like... 10:30 last night. Usually by then, im dead tired.

You only wish you taught me. How can you teach me about the Harmonic Major scale when you don't know what it is?
DANNY

I'll edit in a poll on this thread for if it should be stickied or not one sec. I think my mod powers although for that, I don't really know...let's see.

EDIT: Damn

Lol you can't?! Id say put it as part of the FAQ section tbh since it was to get rid of an FAQ. Only problem is no one reads the thing!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Peanut1614
Lol you can't?! Id say put it as part of the FAQ section tbh since it was to get rid of an FAQ. Only problem is no one reads the thing!

Yeah, unfortunately, that problem is huge and annoying.
DANNY

Maybe we should all take Primes approach 'RTFS' ! And VR how come we can only post every 30 seconds
Quote by cakemonster91

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

^Agreed. I've been trying to think of ways to fix it, but alas nothing has come to mind yet.

EDIT: It somewhat prevents double posting and it makes sure that everyone has a chance to stick in their opinion or whatever they have to post.

Just add to the FAQ title: "Read it or get banned"
DANNY

^

There would be SOOOO many threads in the FoTB about that.

Quote by bluesrocker101
Just add to the FAQ title: "Read it or get banned"

No one reads the title, tbh I didn't even notice it for my first month on here It needs to be bigger and bolder!

FOTB 'WHY' WHY WHY, some threds about that would make it more interesting! I cant believe i got banned *crys*
Quote by cakemonster91

Quote by VR2005
^

There would be SOOOO many threads in the FoTB about that.

Then all the more reason to get more mods and CCs.
DANNY

^

Oh you wish....>_>

Quote by bluesrocker101
Then all the more reason to get more mods and CCs.

Lmao never ask to be a mod or CC, they feel threatened! So where's this poll VR, or is it beyond your powers lol?
Quote by cakemonster91

I'll edit in a poll on this thread for if it should be stickied or not one sec. I think my mod powers although for that, I don't really know...let's see.

EDIT: Damn

Beyond the powers.

Quote by VR2005
Beyond the powers.

Guess being a mod isn't all its cracked up to be I'm off for a bit. And im sure this convo between me, you and blues counts as spam... Can Mods get warned? Laters!
Quote by cakemonster91

Quote by bluesrocker101
I was going to point that out. I listen to everything and I used to hate sounding too bluesy. I managed to fix it and now I sound totally different. Plus, I came up with that name two years ago. I've become more of a musician and guitarist since.

you can be a blues rocker and still be a good guitarist and musician

but you have good points

some people think that the penatonics solve everything
Really good read, I think it would be more usefull as a lesson or a column than in the FAQ sticky.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
I think most of this happens because people learn the minor pentatonic and then try
and use it in the same key over EVERYTHING.

I also think many people feel like the "blues sound" note is the added b5 to the
pent minor giving the blues scale. But really it's playing a b3 (minor) over a
major chord. You do that and it will sound bluesy every time. Try it!

b3-2-1 or b3-3-1 sequences over a major chord....
+1 for sticky. Good stuff.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by lagunasunrise
Really good read, I think it would be more usefull as a lesson or a column than in the FAQ sticky.

Nah, I wouldn't want to put it as a lesson or column. IMO, I would need more material for it to be a lesson/column.
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
Nah, I wouldn't want to put it as a lesson or column. IMO, I would need more material for it to be a lesson/column.

Agreed. I say that we get rid of it all together. Anyone with me on this one?
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Agreed. I say that we get rid of it all together. Anyone with me on this one?

You're just jealous of my knowledge and skill. Don't be surprised if you'll need this in the future.
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
You're just jealous of my knowledge and skill. Don't be surprised if you'll need this in the future.

Psh, blues and jazz were so last year man. The cool new thing these days is blockazzunk. This is a mixture of blues, rock, jazz, and funk. Once you can solo in that genre, then you can do anything.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
I think there is nothing wrong with sounding bluesy, but hey. yeah you pointed out all the stuff that should get you to stop sounding like blues, i think most people use only pentatonics and thats their problem they start sounding blues, than country. i also realised that you can use the dominant seven arpeggio to solo, it begins to sound like a middle eastern scale when you play it right, at some point, you can kinda sound like al di meola, very cool sounding i would suggest people try solo in the dominant seven arpeggio, it has a totally different feel. just to try
Good little article you have there. With any luck it'll get more reads than the MT sticky does
Quote by CowboyUp
Good little article you have there. With any luck it'll get more reads than the MT sticky does

Haha yeah. I might be adding some more stuff soon, so we'll just have to wait and see.
DANNY