I'm looking to upgrade my amp setup. I'm into thrash, power, and classic
metal, as well as some modern stuff. I currently have two LTDs equipped with
EMGs, and an Ibanez Prestige with stock pups. I'm looking for something with a
nice clean channel, and something for heavy chunky rhythms and a great lead
channel. I was thinking of a Mesa Mark series, DC series, or possibly a Rect-o-verb.

In addition, I've received recomendations for the ENGL Blackmore and Fireball, however, I am not too sure about the Blackmore being 4 channels with shared EQ. Some tones I'm looking for are Metallica, Testament, Slayer, Black Label Society, Nevermore, and some good clean tones as well, that could be slightly boosted for a nice bluesy tone as well.

What would be best? Any sound clips/info/reviews would be great.
a lot of this decision is based on price, to be honest.

in europe, mesas are twice to three times what engls are (unless you're talking the SE or something). it's a no-brainer, basically.

In the US, the prices are a lot closer; in fact, mesas may even be cheaper.

In the USA, it's definitely which one you prefer. Don't get me wrong, in europe it is too (and generally i prefer engl to mesa), but if you like the engl almost as much as the mesa, you go with the engl to save some cash, lol. Whereas in the US, you'd go with the mesa in that instance.

Make sense?

EDIT: plus they both sound totally different. Since you're in florida (as long as you aren't in the keys or something, lol) you could maybe check out rocksolid amps?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Since you are in the US the Mesa Mark IV pretty much hits the nail on the head for your amp
1st channel is sweet sweet cleans. very fenderesqeu. Randal used a bassman as his model. it takes od's super nicely. gets ya a nice SRV crunch
2ns- sweet low gain crunch- imagine either a plexi or a really pushed fender. IMO the channel with the most possible range of tones on the mark Iv. With an OD and the GEQ you get a nice lead tone kinda Gilbertesque or a nice clear rhythm tone
3rd-Lead. Think of any 80'-00 band and this channel hits it. be it Shred, Thrash, nwbhm,hard rock, grunge, and the beginings of death metal and power metal
4th channel-(actually the ld-eq button) take teh 3rd channel and add massive amounts of type sof requencies. it can go from a Van halen esque- to a Dream Theater- to a slayer to a nevermore to a friedman the list goes on.

With the on board graphic EQ you can pretty much sculp the channels to your liking, and then take it out when you want to change. The GEQ basically is a boost and another channel maker

the tube options(such as triode and pentode clipping) and class selection really help you shape your own sound too. You have serveral different options on how to run it to. from 15 to 30 to 50 to 70 to 85 watts. And 85 watts is super loud. The mark iv running at its 30 watt mode easily is louder than my 120 watt jsx at full volume.
Each day i find a new settings better than the last. And when i think i got the best/perfect one i get a new one thats even better. nothing better than that feeling.
hope that helps
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 4, 2007,
I was thinking the same question just in general so instead of making another thread which brand would be better for classic rock (forget any form of a budget, not that im rich or n e thing) I am a big Blackmore fan and I know he uses an Engl soverign or Savage (maybe just as a power amp) But ive also heard some negative feedback from the Engl (from a screamer 50 cab) Im just asking because its a long way to a decent music store that stocks decent amps and i dont want to spend eternity trying out every amp. (I live in Aus BTW) Plus i know someone who can probably do me a good deal as a return favour on a Mesa which ive tried their triple rectifier and it was very nice but I would sorta like views comparisson like (more tone wise but versatily is good too!)
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
yeah, US - go mesa, though the Blackmore really is quite amazin for shared EQ - great voicing generally and cheap in europe. good luck looking
Either a Mark IV or an engl.

I'm not a big fan of dual rectos. And they would be a bit dark for thrash.
Quote by Master Shake
I was thinking the same question just in general so instead of making another thread which brand would be better for classic rock (forget any form of a budget, not that im rich or n e thing) I am a big Blackmore fan and I know he uses an Engl soverign or Savage (maybe just as a power amp) But ive also heard some negative feedback from the Engl (from a screamer 50 cab) Im just asking because its a long way to a decent music store that stocks decent amps and i dont want to spend eternity trying out every amp. (I live in Aus BTW) Plus i know someone who can probably do me a good deal as a return favour on a Mesa which ive tried their triple rectifier and it was very nice but I would sorta like views comparisson like (more tone wise but versatily is good too!)

to be honest, i'm not sure i'd be looking at either for classic rock. mesa lone star classic, maybe. or maybe the new express series. engl do a more vintage amp, the classic tube, but to be honest i wasn't overly impressed, and it's quite expensive. I think high gain is more their thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mesa Mark IV would be good. it's nice, tight, and aggressive. would nail the thrash tones you're looking for.

then again, so would an ENGL fireball/ powerball. you can listen to clips here (of ENGL)

www.rocksolidamps.com
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
since u r in florida you might want to take the drive over to Derek Bs and actually try out the ENGLs (and anything else he has) and use that info to help make up your mind. I'm sure there is a mesa dealer around as well.

i love my mark iv, great amp for what you want. it is more expensive than a fireball which is another nice amp. it has a good clean and a great high gain channel for the real heavy stuff. you cuold probably boost the clean channel for blues but the clean sounds like its voiced for metal haha. so i dk how well its going to work out.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
^ yeah, good point, derek has a bunch of high gainers there, meteoro (i think?), brunetti, framus, splawn (kinda high gain, more hot-rodded marshall) etc. definitely worth a try.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i haven't been able to try framus.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?