whats the difference between slap/pop and just playing with your fingers, i cant hear a difference?
Slap/Pop has a much more percussive sound than usual fingerstyle...

Which begs the question... Are you slapping and popping right?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
WTF!!! ARE YOU DEAF?!?!

now with that out of the way, how can you say that they are the same when they are clearly two no three different ways of attacking the strings.

how can brushing your fingers over the strings sound anything like slapping the strings with your thumb and pulling the strings away from the fret board with your finger???

holy ****!!!

love

dan
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
ya man in my most respective way i have to side with you must be pretty deaf becasue they get completely different sounds than eachother.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Errrr...
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Don't be so harsh on the guy, he probably has a low quality beginner bass. With my first bass, between fingerstyle and slapping, there was barely any difference because of ****ty wood and ****ty pickups. So to hear the difference, I had to bash the crap out of it to make the slap noise and it still wasn't right.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Listen to "Higher Ground" by RHCP and then listen to "Californication" by RHCP, you should be able to tell the difference.

And if you didn't know, RHCP = Red Hot Chili Peppers
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by Ranxston
Don't be so harsh on the guy, he probably has a low quality beginner bass. With my first bass, between fingerstyle and slapping, there was barely any difference because of ****ty wood and ****ty pickups. So to hear the difference, I had to bash the crap out of it to make the slap noise and it still wasn't right.

dude what was your bass made of then, cos i've got one made of plywood and that still has a clear difference between slap and fingerstyle. You don't get much lower quality than a plywood beginner bass from the 80s
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
WTF!!! ARE YOU DEAF?!?!

now with that out of the way, how can you say that they are the same when they are clearly two no three different ways of attacking the strings.

how can brushing your fingers over the strings sound anything like slapping the strings with your thumb and pulling the strings away from the fret board with your finger???

holy ****!!!

love

dan

dude that's totally not the way to respond to this and you know that.

It doesn't matter how clear the difference is, there is no privledge to be an asshole in this forum.

Good examples of slapping and popping: Aeroplane by Red Hot Chili Peppers (verse), Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers (intro's most obvious), Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz, Anti-Pop by Primus, Thank you falettenme be mice elf ag'n by Sly & The Family Stone... uh... others. Those should do you fine for hearing it though.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Ranxston

The differnce is very audible even without an amp.
Meaning, pickups got nothing to do with it.

Either the TS trolls, or he got some hearing problems.
No other explanation.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
The differnce is very audible even without an amp.
Meaning, pickups got nothing to do with it.

Either the TS trolls, or he got some hearing problems.
No other explanation.

Perhaps that don't know what slap and popping is too. But your trolling theory is looking rather likely the more I think of it.

To the TS, if you can't tell the difference, I don't think your ear is developed enough to be playing bass.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
trun up your mid mabey
and are you slaping with your thumb parale to the string or to the side
::type
I had the same problem at first with my slapping, if not popping. I'm not sure why - probably a mix of not totally understanding the concept and picking out slapped and popped parts of songs, not understanding how to do it, and having ****ty equipment with no supervision.

Give the guy a break. It's a common enough dilemma.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Maybe it's your technique. Make sure that when you slap and pop, the strings smack against the fretboard. Also, try turning up the highs on your amp/bass to get that percussive sound. You should go and look at some videos on Youtube. There are a lot of slap lessons there.
no sig
I find it's harder to hear the slap and pop if you have your bass turned up too much, or if your treble is turned down too much. I love cranking the bass, so I don't really slap and pop very much. Also, if you have any sort of distortion, you probably won't hear it.
[img]http://myspace-774.vo.llnwd.net/00952/47/76/952176774_l.jpg[/img]
That's me, bitch!