My brother wants a guitar to start practicing on, for around 200 dollars. He listens to alternative and modern rock, with some RHCP thrown in. I don't know too much about beginner guitar quality, as I have only had a Yamaha Pacifica, which was okay. (Now I have a Carvin CT6.. :-P)

He doesn't care about the brand, although he wants it black, and he kinda wants to put an american flag pickguard on it, so a strat-shape would be good. (But he is also considering an SG)

I'm thinking Epiphone or Ibanez. Can anyone recommend some specific models?

Thanks!
Epiphone G-400 might be over 200$ by a little but it's the best Epiphone SG in your range. Also try low end Ibanez RGs.
Quote by dookie_dude_
Then go in a Fall Out Boy mosh pit. There much safer considering there only 13 year old girls in it.
Quote by NathanWolff
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-F301-Electric-Guitar?sku=513352

That would be perfect for him, I played it. Its pretty sweet for the price and it plays well.

that is one sexy guitar.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
He's from Denmark, so I'm not sure where he can get guitars .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Jul 4, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
He's from Denmark, so I'm not sure where he can get guitars .

he can order them online.

Edit: also, the g-400 is 400$, so thats way out of your price range, unless you wanna go used. ive got a g-400 im trying to sell currently actually...
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Quote by imnotastoner
he can order them online.
Edit:also, the g-400 is 400$, so thats way out of your price range, unless you wanna go used. ive got a g-400 im trying to sell currently actually...

Not every place on the internetz ships to Europe.

New Goth G400s are $300.

If you can get someone to buy you something on MF, check out a Switch Stealth Wild. Great first guitar since it will never warp (and can take a lot of abuse). Pretty decent resonance, too.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Does he have an amp to practice on, or will you need one aswell?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Does he have an amp to practice on, or will you need one aswell?

yeah, is it $200 for the guitar AND amp or just the guitar?
Quote by nt1440
post some pics of the carvin

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Yes, we live in Denmark, but we are on vacation in Newport Beach, so finding a Guitar Center or ordering is definately an option.

I kinda wish I could get him to splurge 400 on a Fender MIM or a Epi LP Standard, but he is a complete beginner, and not willing to spend that much yet. So I just want to make sure he doesn't get a guitar that'll turn him off to playing.

He's getting my old Berhinger amp for 30$. Not too great, but decent for a starter. I played it for a year, and found it decent, but nothing special, kinda like the Yamaha.

The Hagstrom looks pretty nice. Any RG models that are especially worth trying? The G400 Goth is decent, but if I got him to go for 300$, I'd just as well give him 100$ so he could get a Epi LP standard or a MIM!

I don't have any pics of the Carvin, sorrry, but I can tell you it's a very sexy red and yellow quilted top with a OFR. It even smells great.. Z_z Bought it for 900 dollars used, and it's in flawless condition :-D

Thanks for all the advice!