So I have never been a fan of a pick on an acoustic guitar. Makes it sound more rough, and not as soft and "nice" (for extreme lack of better word) as I feel an acoustic should be. That being said, I tend to finger pick primarily when it comes to Acoustic. My question is does the side of your thumb ever callous like finger tips do from strumming with it? I've been playing a very little bit over a year now (like a year and 2 weeks) so obviously my finger tips are basically immune to pain, but when I play strumming acoustic songs, my thumb still sometimes gets blisters and sores from strumming with it for entire songs.

Thanks for any input
Eventually it will callous so dont worry about it. Although mine never did hurt when I started finger picking, its sure to callous just like anything else used in the sort.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Before I began playing mostly with a pick, my thumb had a callous on it. It will callous, but it will obviously take much longer than your fretting hand fingertips.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Strumming whole songs with your thumb isn't really necessary. For strumming, a pick is ideal. Holding the pick at a 33-45 degree angle from the strings reduces the harshness (and is also considered the correct way to hold a pick). Of course, a calloused thumb would be useful for soft fingerpicking.
Wow replies are quick on these Forums! I'm used to it taking much longer to even get 1 response on other forums I have posted on.

Thank you for the help =)
Yeah, if you are going to be strumming with your thumb for hours on end, it's going to end up hurting. Picks are ideal, and eventually you will get used to the sound they make (no one criticizes because a pick sounds harsher, you will thank yourself in the future for using one here and there and it will take amazing strain off of you for strumming) But yeah, if you like strumming with your thumb it will callous over eventually, and it will become easier.
haha, i couldnt find a pick anywhere in my house and i was too lazy to make one out of like paper or amything so i used my thumb to strum like actual songs .. ick dont do it if you can help it, it makes everything sound dull and gross, and to answer ur question after that i even had a blister, lol like an actual blister not just a calleouse :P
Yeah, if you are going to be strumming with your thumb for hours on end, it's going to end up hurting. Picks are ideal, and eventually you will get used to the sound they make (no one criticizes because a pick sounds harsher, you will thank yourself in the future for using one here and there and it will take amazing strain off of you for strumming) But yeah, if you like strumming with your thumb it will callous over eventually, and it will become easier.

You wouldn't use your thumb only to strum. You'd use your index nail when going down and thumb nail going up, it doesn't hurt at all.